Safe to snowboard in 24-mph wind?
10 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Unicorn
March 20, 2019
Member since 01/22/2019 🔗
11 posts

Hello: It’s my first full snowboard season. The forecast calls for snow at Snowshoe on Friday, but there will be 24-mph wind. Is it safe to be on the snow? Thank you.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Unicorn wrote:

Hello: It’s my first full snowboard season. The forecast calls for snow at Snowshoe on Friday, but there will be 24-mph wind. Is it safe to be on the snow? Thank you.

All ski resorts keep a close eye on wind speeds.  They can't run chairlifts safely if the gusts are too high or sustained winds are above a certain level.  If the lifts are running, there is no particularly safety issue being on the slopes.  But does make a difference which area since some are more protected from the wind than others.  I would guess that if it's really windy at the main base then may be worth taking the bus over to Silver Creek.

wgo
March 20, 2019
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Will SC be open?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Will SC be open?

Oops, good point.  The latest I've gone to Snowshoe is the first weekend of March and Silver Creek was still open.

Unicorn
March 21, 2019
11 posts

Thank you! I am hitting the slopes then! Not ready to put my board away for the season just yet! :)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2019
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

wgo wrote:

Will SC be open?

Closed last Sunday

crgildart
March 21, 2019
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

24mph isn't bad but you will feel it on the lift.  Definitely a bar down ride for me when it gets that breezy.  Also snowboard might have more trouble carrying speed in to the wind across flats.

Unicorn
March 21, 2019
11 posts

I have never been to Snowshoe before. I have just checked the trail map and found it’s green trails are 10 times longer than those at Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop! Wow! So the trails at Snowshoe face north or northwest into the wind?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2019 (edited March 21, 2019)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Unicorn wrote:

I have never been to Snowshoe before. I have just checked the trail map and found it’s green trails are 10 times longer than those at Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop! Wow! So the trails at Snowshoe face north or northwest into the wind?

You will really only notice the wind at the top of the mountain.  Once you start down the trails, the trees protect you from the wind.  If you are looking at the map, ignore Silver Creek Area (closed) and Western Territory (only blacks). 

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/-/media/Snowshoe/Maps/pdf/SN_18_Winter_Trailmap_Web.pdf

You'll be skiing in the basin area.   On the right side of the map is Heisler Way.  It drops you into a few wide, nice green trails.  Those greens can feed you to 3 lifts - Ballhooter, Powder Monkey and Powder Ridge.  You can do several runs over there (do Ballhooter lift EARLY).  There are a couple real short blues mixed in over there too.  Spruce is a blue but only the very top portion is "steeper"  the rest is green and it's super wide.  

If you look to the left, Upper Hootenanny can run you all the way down to Soaring Eagle lift.  At the of SE, you can take Upper Flume all the way back to the other 3 lifts.

Get out early to avoid the crowds.  The forecast keeps getting better with snow on Fri / Fri night.

PS - If you see a guy in a bright yellow jacket / gray pants / black stickered up helmet - yell Big Bird and that should be me Haha!

Unicorn
April 9, 2019
11 posts

I opted to go to Liberty that day, but hopefully will meet you on the slopes next season! :)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?