Pass time in a long lift line.
Home
Area Improvements during Summer 2019
14 posts from 8 users
Updated 4 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
one month ago

Never too early to get thris thread going. 

one month ago

Does receivership of T4SR count as an improvement?

msprings wrote:

Never too early to get thris thread going.

26 days ago

I remember seeing that Snowshoe was supposed to renovate the Boathouse at some point. Is that still happening?

26 days ago

msprings wrote:

I remember seeing that Snowshoe was supposed to renovate the Boathouse at some point. Is that still happening?

Not this year.  I can’t remember if it was scrapped or kicked down the curb a few years.  

Other SS owners may have some intel.

25 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

msprings wrote:

Not this year.  I can’t remember if it was scrapped or kicked down the curb a few years.  

Frank had it in his top 5, but that was prior to Alterra etc.  Hopefully Patti will hold a “state of the Shoe” address this summer and include some captial improvement news.

25 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

msprings wrote:

Frank had it in his top 5, but that was prior to Alterra etc.  Hopefully Patti will hold a “state of the Shoe” address this summer and include some captial improvement news.

Thank you!

25 days ago

Roundtop/Peak just tweeted this morning “equipment for our massive snowmaking upgrade is beginning to arrive and work has already begun on the slopes”.  Which is interesting because Roundtop already had the best snowmaking of the three Snowtime resorts… perhaps just clever marketing for what is just typical lines and guns repairs/upgrades?

25 days ago

Any word on the Blue Knob plans? I’ve never been there, but have always been interested in going. The lack of open terrain always keeps me away.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
25 days ago

RodneyBD wrote:

Roundtop/Peak just tweeted this morning “equipment for our massive snowmaking upgrade is beginning to arrive and work has already begun on the slopes”.  Which is interesting because Roundtop already had the best snowmaking of the three Snowtime resorts… perhaps just clever marketing for what is just typical lines and guns repairs/upgrades?

Doesn’t Roundtop open relatively early and stay open relatively late compared to Liberty and Whitetail?  I wonder if the idea is to make sure it has the longest season for DC/NoVA folks who go for a Peak Pass of some sort.

Having observed the improvements for snowmaking infrastructure at Massanutten over the last 5-6 years, it takes a few years to really make an obvious difference even starting with good pipelines and a reasonable number of snowguns.  Adding a few big fan guns every year really made a difference in the long run.  The other improvement done early on involved automating existing pole guns.  The amount of snow that Mnut can generate during the first multi-day cold spell in December makes a huge difference in how deep the base is before mid-January.

12 days ago

RodneyBD wrote:

They bought a lot of new snowgun heads that are supposed to be more efficient. If you took a close look at RT’s guns, they had a lot of the old school heads on them.  They’re supposed to be replaced with much more efficient HKD heads that will allow for better snowmaking in more marginal temps.

I don’t know that RT had the best snowmaking system - I think WT did as they had a lot more of the TechnoAlpin fan guns and more automation.  RT tended to rely more on the lance guns. I think RT was the most aggressive at making snow.  They had the quickest recovery of the 3.

12 days ago

msprings wrote:

Any word on the Blue Knob plans? I’ve never been there, but have always been interested in going. The lack of open terrain always keeps me away.

I had a long conversation with a guy who owns a condo at BK and has been a season pass holder for quite a while.  He had a lot of intersting insight to what’s going on there and with what happened this past season.  Let’s just say he had a lot of concerns and he told me to wait until Black Friday if I really wanted a pass there. I don’t want to say more than that publicly.  It was enough for me to put off buying the early bird passes.

He did say he thought the wrong people bought the resort.  Apparently there was another buyer interested that really knew what they were doing for development and stuff, and had the money to turn into something special.  However, their offer was too low (they offered what it was worth vs the current owners offering a premium) and they supported Gov Wolf’s opponent, so things got hamstrung with government approvals.  PA’s unfortunately very political that way.

Good news is they’re still interested if anything changed there.

12 days ago

marzNC wrote:

RodneyBD wrote:

Doesn’t Roundtop open relatively early and stay open relatively late compared to Liberty and Whitetail?  I wonder if the idea is to make sure it has the longest season for DC/NoVA folks who go for a Peak Pass of some sort.

Having observed the improvements for snowmaking infrastructure at Massanutten over the last 5-6 years, it takes a few years to really make an obvious difference even starting with good pipelines and a reasonable number of snowguns.  Adding a few big fan guns every year really made a difference in the long run.  The other improvement done early on involved automating existing pole guns.  The amount of snow that Mnut can generate during the first multi-day cold spell in December makes a huge difference in how deep the base is before mid-January.

Going back to that aggressive snowmaking stance, yes they make a lot and try to have a good opening.  It really caused a firestorm in December when they had a ton of snow but weren’t opening.  They wanted to keep it in whales so it stayed better with the warm up that came shortly thereafter.  They had the depeest base over the season (50-60” base) but they closed early like WT did.  Liberty stayed open the latest.  Why I’m not sure because I thought they had the least amount of snow and most marginal conditions over the season.

And with Peak trying to push traffic north for the late season, all 3 closed despite still having snow - irritating their pass holders (me included).

So I think they’ll have decent snow when they make it, but I won’t be counting on an early or late season just because it’s a way of forcing people north.

4 days ago

RodneyBD wrote:

Just a marketing ploy. publicizing upgrades they were already planning on making. 3.5 mil doesn’t sound like any more than what the 3 resorts together would likely spend in annual reinvestment.

Re: snowmaking, most rate Liberty to have the best snowmaking  especially technology wise, almost the whole resort other than the bunny hill and park are fan guns, think RT+WT are only about 50/60%.  At night the difference between fan guns and hydrant snow is noticeable. Lib does have more people relatively to acres, so stuff gets skied out sooner.

Roundtop might have a better early season climate many years, and whitetail obviously has a higher quantity of fan guns but a much lower percentage. In the past couple years Lib has stayed open the longest 4/6 years.

4 days ago

zag33 wrote:

RodneyBD wrote:

Just a marketing ploy. publicizing upgrades they were already planning on making. 3.5 mil doesn’t sound like any more than what the 3 resorts together would likely spend in annual reinvestment.

Re: snowmaking, most rate Liberty to have the best snowmaking  especially technology wise, almost the whole resort other than the bunny hill and park are fan guns, think RT+WT are only about 50/60%.  At night the difference between fan guns and hydrant snow is noticeable. Lib does have more people relatively to acres, so stuff gets skied out sooner.

Roundtop might have a better early season climate many years, and whitetail obviously has a higher quantity of fan guns but a much lower percentage. In the past couple years Lib has stayed open the longest 4/6 years.

Still trying to figure out how RT ended up with a base twice as deep as Liberty and WT’s.  I’m thinking they were more aggressive and blew in more marginal weather.

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.19 seconds