Where skiers type.
Home
New Indypass includes VA and NC ski areas, on sale Sept. 1, 2019
21 posts from 7 users
Updated 6 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Heard of the Indypass yet?  I came across it a month or two ago, but wasn’t really paying much attention since the places on the initial list were mostly out west.  But there are ski areas in VA and NC on the list now.  Ski areas in the midwest are also getting involved.  All are considered independently owned, meaning not part of a major multi-resort company such as Peak or Alterra or Boyne.

http://www.indyskipass.com

The price is $199 for 2019-20, available after Sept. 1, 2019.  Here’s what that covers:

• Two free days at each partner resort in the US and Canada
  • Minimum of one additional discounted lift ticket
  • Discounted kids tickets (12 and under) when redeeming an adult ticket
  • Special offers from participating resorts for lodging, rentals, lessons and more

As of early May, Massanutten and Bryce are included.  Also Cataloochee in NC.  The places in New England so far include Bolton in VT, and Berkshire East and Catamount (same ownership) in western MA.

6/7 EDIT: Blue Knob and Magic added in early June

2 months ago
I’ve skied both Tyrol Basin in Wisconsin and Big Powderhorn in Michigan, both of which are on the list. It will be interesting to see if there is a market for this pass.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

wgo wrote:

I’ve skied both Tyrol Basin in Wisconsin and Big Powderhorn in Michigan, both of which are on the list. It will be interesting to see if there is a market for this pass.

How do they compare to the mid-Atlantic?  Are they ski areas like Liberty or ski resorts like Whitetail?

2 months ago

Tyrol is a very fun little area that really makes the most of its 300 ft of vert. We would usually head up to Cascade from Madison when I lived there, but would hit Tyrol for a change of pace. Definitely a day trip area.

Big Powderhorn is in the Upper Peninsula, which is more of a destination location for folks living in the Upper Midwest. I was only there once and do not recall specifically if there was onsite lodging. The UP is an interesting place - the hills are only around 500-600 ft (with the exception of Mt Bohemia) but they get a ton of snow and there is a definite ski culture.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

wgo wrote:

Tyrol is a very fun little area that really makes the most of its 300 ft of vert. We would usually head up to Cascade from Madison when I lived there, but would hit Tyrol for a change of pace. Definitely a day trip area.

Big Powderhorn is in the Upper Peninsula, which is more of a destination location for folks living in the Upper Midwest. I was only there once and do not recall specifically if there was onsite lodging. The UP is an interesting place - the hills are only around 500-600 ft (with the exception of Mt Bohemia) but they get a ton of snow and there is a definite ski culture.

Interesting.  Guess for Big Powderhorn the idea is to get people to keep driving past the Boyne resorts and use the Indy Pass to try something different.  Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands were added to Ikon last fall, relatively late in the game for 2018-19.  Big Powderhorn has only 600 vert, but about 250 acres.  Compared to the southeast ski areas, that’s a lot of terrain.  Only double chairs.  Presumably the folks who live up there know how to dress for frigid weather. ;-)

As of 2009 Michigan had 38 ski areas and Wisconsin had 34.  Pennsylvania had 32.  West Virginia had 5 back then.  By 2015 the numbers were Michigan 42, Wisconsin 30, PA 26, WV 5.  Wonder what the numbers will be for 2025?

2 months ago

marzNC wrote:

As of 2009 Michigan had 38 ski areas and Wisconsin had 34.  Pennsylvania had 32.  West Virginia had 5 back then.  By 2015 the numbers were Michigan 42, Wisconsin 30, PA 26, WV 5.  Wonder what the numbers will be for 2025?

That’s interesting. Does 5 for WV count White Grass? Or one that never opened? I can’t think of others.

Does NY have the most of any state?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

camp wrote:

marzNC wrote:

That’s interesting. Does 5 for WV count White Grass? Or one that never opened? I can’t think of others.

Does NY have the most of any state?

White Grass as the fifth ski area makes sense to me.

Yep, NY has the most.  48 in 2015 according to the Snowbrains article.

https://snowbrains.com/u-s-state-ski-resorts/

Looking at the numbers for the midwest (MI, WI, MN), I understand a bit better why Vail Resorts went after that market first when they decided to look for small areas/resorts to buy in order to pull in people away from the Rockies for Epic passes.

2 months ago

Isn’t there s WV ski area called Oglebay Park? Near Wheeling?  This is the 5th WV ski area?!

2 months ago

The Colonel wrote:

Isn’t there s WV ski area called Oglebay Park? Near Wheeling?  This is the 5th WV ski area?!

Olgebay is on or near the golf driving range.  I believe it has 2 short trails and one lift.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RYeDgOzVk

My WV count:

Lift Served

• Canaan
  • Oglebay
  • Snowshoe
  • Winterplace

Non Lift Served

• Whitegrass

Status Unknown

• Timberline
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Olgebay is on or near the golf driving range.  I believe it has 2 short trails and one lift.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RYeDgOzVk

Looks like Oglebay caters to the folks in Ohio, not DC/NoVA.  Have extra night skiing hours during the Ohio winter school break.

Full service ski resort with $259 season passes, ski school, snow tubing, and night skiing until 9pm on weekends.  Reminds me of Sapphire Valley in the NC mountains.  Just took a look at Sapphire (no snow) because it’s a timeshare resort more or less close to Biltmore House and Gardens in Asheville.  Had a nice mini-vacation with my husband and a friend who had never been to Asheville before.  I think the slopes at Oglebay and Sapphire are shorter than Bryce, but would be good places to get little kids started as part of a winter family vacation.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Aha!  Looked to see what Wisp and Wintergreen were offering to season passholders for 2019-20 in terms of getting access to the other ski resorts owned or operated by Pacific Group Resorts, Inc. (PGRI).  A season pass to Wisp is $279 and includes 6 tickets to each of the other locations, which includes Wintergreen.  Also Buddy Passes.  May continue the Resort Swap program with 7Springs/HV/Laurel.  The Wintergreen season pass was $279 in March with the same perks, price is $329 unti 9/2/2019 and there is a Family Pass option.  More importantly, all Wintergreen passholders will get access on Saturdays and Sunday mornings for the first time.

The changes for Wisp and Wintergreen put pressure on Massanutten and Bryce.  So joining the Indy Pass makes good sense.

2 months ago

Are you saying that WTG may have the swap with 7 Springs/HV/Laurel, or does this just apply to Wisp?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

wgo wrote:

Are you saying that WTG may have the swap with 7 Springs/HV/Laurel, or does this just apply to Wisp?

I found the reference to the Resort Swap on the Wisp website.  Probably makes more sense geographically given where most Wintergreen regulars drive from.

2 months ago

As far as I’ve seen over the past few years, it’s just been with Wisp.  Don’t think you’d get too many Highlands regulars trekking down to VA for a day.

2 months ago

I hope it does well enought to spark dome interest from the bigger NC and VA resorts.  I doubt that Wintergreen or Sugar would participate without significant blackout criteria.

2 months ago

superguy wrote:

As far as I’ve seen over the past few years, it’s just been with Wisp.  Don’t think you’d get too many Highlands regulars trekking down to VA for a day.

Agreed. I was just hoping against hope that @Marznc had stumbled upon some super-secret page with hidden resort swap benefits.

Anyway, we will be using the reciprocal benefits with Wisp. Note that since the WTG pass has restricted saturday hours we will not be eligible for saturday lift tickets at Wisp. We may do something like Saturday at CVR and then drive up to Wisp Sunday morning.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

wgo wrote:

Anyway, we will be using the reciprocal benefits with Wisp. Note that since the WTG pass has restricted saturday hours we will not be eligible for saturday lift tickets at Wisp. We may do something like Saturday at CVR and then drive up to Wisp Sunday morning.

Ah, I didn’t read the details about Saturdays at WIntergreen.  Didn’t pick up that it doesn’t start until 4pm.  At least Sunday mornings are included now.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

crgildart wrote:

I hope it does well enought to spark dome interest from the bigger NC and VA resorts.  I doubt that Wintergreen or Sugar would participate without significant blackout criteria.

Does seem like Beech would benefit from joining the Indy Pass.  Perhaps App and Wolf too.

Not sure Sugar needs more people on the slopes.  Given they are planning to spend big bucks on a detachable quad to replace the beginner lift, must be doing okay from a business standpoint.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

The Indy Pass list is growing.  Added Blue Knob and Magic Mountain recently.

NORTHEAST

Greek Peak, NY - added early June

Bolton Valley, VT

Magic Mountain, VT - added early June

Pats Peak -  - added early June

Catamount, MA

Berkshire East, MA

SOUTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC

Blue Knob, PA - added early June

Massanutten, VA

Bryce, VA

Cataloochee, NC

one month ago

Well, assuming that BK can get its act together that makes this pass a bit more attractive for the Mid-Atlantic skier - couple day trips to Massanutten, a weekend at BK, a weekend at Bolton and/or Magic for $199 is pretty reasonable. I wonder who else will be added? What unaffiliated areas are left? I was wondering if this would be a good fit for CVR.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
6 days ago

The Indy Pass is clearly still reaching out to potential members.  Canaan Valley is on the list as of mid-July.  Other places now on the list include Eaglecrest in AK, Hurricane Ridge in WA, Spirit Mountain in MN, and Suicide Six in VT.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Snowcat got your tongue?
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.22 seconds