Boyne Resorts to debut RFID at Big Sky and Loon for 2019-20
3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 23, 2019 (edited August 23, 2019)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Apparently Boyne Resorts has been working with Axess on a new wrinkle for RFID lift access for a while.  The system will debut at Big Sky and Loon for 2019-20.  The announcement to customers are the usual comments about not having to show a pass/ticket.  Hopefully Ikon will be direct-to-lift.  But the press release that's geared more towards business people makes it clear that not only will access gates be used, there is also high-frequency (UHF) capability.  There is mention of eventually providing info about lift wait times, which is a feature of EpicMix at the major Epic destination resorts.  EpicMix is based on UHF RFID, which is a choice Vail Resorts made back in 2008.

https://bigskyresort.com/press-releases/rfid-scanning-technology-makes-the-ski-day-even-more-seamless

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boyne-resorts-first-world-offer-214000315.html

" . . .

Skiers will benefit from the many conveniences of RFID technology as well as more efficient flow in the lift loading areas. An additional benefit is more personalized communication from the resort while at the resort, such as special offers and conditions updates and eventually providing wait times for restaurants and activities such as ziplining.

"We are proud of being chosen by Boyne Resorts to be partner in the development of dual-frequency lift access," said Claudia Kopetzky, chief marketing officer of Axess. "With this new product, we and Boyne Resorts are a step ahead of other companies and resorts and skiers can enjoy so much more benefit out of it. Even more is possible. With UHF technology, resort management is able to check and announce wait times at the lifts and even monitor occupancy rates of their restaurants.""

skiracerx
August 23, 2019
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Automation will be the next to replace staff like RFID / gating . I did not like some because of the no reads and havign to wait for an attendant. More of an issue in the race suit. Solved by holding it and tapping.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 24, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

skiracerx wrote:

Automation will be the next to replace staff like RFID / gating . I did not like some because of the no reads and havign to wait for an attendant. More of an issue in the race suit. Solved by holding it and tapping.  

What I learned recently is that at VR resorts, RFID access to lifts is implemented by using hand scanners.   That's possible because VR chose to use UHF (high frequency, long distance) way back in 2007.  So going with RFID does not decrease the staffing needed at all.  At least, not at the base of lifts.

I know people who stick their RFID card in the glove/mitten.  I won't buy a jacket anymore without a sleeve pocket for an RFID card.  More of an issue for parents buying jackets for little kids, which typically have minimal pockets.  Although more have a breast pocket these days.  Instructors and lifties at Alta often tell the kids to "hug" the gate.

For race training, Sunday River is installing a surface lift.  Have seen that elsewhere in New England.  The race coach I talked to says that will be fair more efficient in terms of time on snow than having racers ride a chair lift with other folks.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?