Got a Peak pass for 2019-20? Are you going to convert to Epic?
15 posts
5 users
2k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 24, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Well, VR made it official.  All 17 Peak Resorts locations will be part of Epic for 2019-20.  If you have a Peak pass, check out the FAQ on the Epic pass website.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/peak-resorts-faq.aspx

Apparently emails are being sent out to Peak passholders about how to convert.  Even possible to get a refund if someone bought both a Peak pass and Epic Military.  Supposed to wait until mid-October for more complicated situations like that though.

rbrtlav
September 24, 2019 (edited September 24, 2019)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

The email I got said if you purchased a pass before 7/22 to wait until after 10/13 to call vail resorts and they can process the upgrades over the phone, no prices were included which was unfortunate. My impression is that it upgrading to the local pass will be based on the $699 price point, but that was not clear. I suspect dealing the the 2 systems here is a manual task for Vail, but hopefully they post table at somepoint so people know what the costs are. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 24, 2019
3,246 posts

There are current prices in the press release about the closing.  Full Epic and Epic Local are $969 and $719.  Epic Military is $159.  VR is still going to sell Peak passes this fall.

http://investors.vailresorts.com/news-releases/news-release-details/vail-resorts-closes-its-acquisition-peak-resorts-adds-17-us-ski

MitchSH
September 25, 2019
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts

I was already planning to ski a few days at 

Telluride and Kicking Horse, so it might make sense

for me to convert my Peak Explorer Pass to the Full Epic  depending 

on what credit they give me for the Peak Pass. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 25, 2019
3,246 posts

MitchSH wrote:

I was already planning to ski a few days at 

Telluride and Kicking Horse, so it might make sense

for me to convert my Peak Explorer Pass to the Full Epic  depending 

on what credit they give me for the Peak Pass. 

Wouldn't you get the full amount you paid for the Peak Explorer?  Telluride day tickets are pretty high.  Wouldn't take many days to reach break-even for converting to Full Epic.  Then the Kicking Horse days would be "free."

Does Telluride have discounted tickets on Liftopia or getskitickets?  I went using the MCP a few years ago so never looked.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 25, 2019
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

The email I got said if you purchased a pass before 7/22 to wait until after 10/13 to call vail resorts and they can process the upgrades over the phone, no prices were included which was unfortunate. My impression is that it upgrading to the local pass will be based on the $699 price point, but that was not clear. I suspect dealing the the 2 systems here is a manual task for Vail, but hopefully they post table at somepoint so people know what the costs are. 

Having read the email text that someone posted on another ski forum . . . four times . . . I agree that someone who bought a Peak pass before 7/22 will pay the prices as of mid-July.  In June, Full Epic was $939 and Epic Local was $699.  The prices go up again after 10/13.  Sounds like VR would like to get those people who are not the type to jump on Early Bird prices to get locked in to some Epic pass during the next few weeks.  Makes sense that early adopters who want to convert from Peak to Epic won't forget.

MitchSH
September 25, 2019
56 posts

My understanding is that my Peak Pass will be credited 

based on the current cost of the Peak Pass when converting, which 

would mean I don’t have to pay much to upgrade.  

snowyslope92
September 25, 2019 (edited September 25, 2019)
Member since 09/24/2018 🔗
24 posts

So If I am reading the press release correctly, Peak passholders can upgrade to one of the Epic passes;  But if they do, they will not be able to use the Epic pass at the peak resorts likely Whitetail or Liberty during the 2019/2020 season.  This is because the lift ticket scanning systems will not be integrated untill after this winter.   It that's the case, it would not make since for someone who skis regularly at the southern PA resorts to upgrade to the Epic pass.    However, if you keep your peak pass you can get 50% off windows ticket prices at some of the Epic resorts.

The press release is very confusing.  

Vail Resorts will be integrating lift ticket and season pass systems for the newly acquired Peak Resorts after the 2019-20 winter ski season and therefore Epic and Epic Day Pass benefits will not be eligible at the 17 Peak Resorts during this season.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/peak-resorts-faq.aspx?cmpid=PAR_PASS_ANN_PK_00_00000_000000_20190924_v01

======================================

If I exchange my Peak or Midwest pass for an Epic Pass, can I keep my benefits?

Any Peak or Midwest pass holder that upgrades/exchanges to an Epic Pass product will get Epic Pass Club benefits at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Crested Butte, Park City, Whistler Blackcomb, Stevens Pass, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Wilmot, Afton Alps, and Mt. Brighton. 

Vail Resorts will be integrating lift ticket and season pass systems for the newly acquired Peak Resorts after the 2019-20 winter ski season and therefore Epic and Epic Day Pass benefits will not be eligible at the 17 Peak Resorts during this season.

Can I keep my Peak or Midwest Pass product? 
Yes, you can keep your Peak and/or Midwest pass products with the associated benefits for the 2019-20 season only. Please note, Peak and Midwest passes will also receive a 50% discount off the window rate at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Crested Butte, Park City, Whistler Blackcomb, Stevens Pass, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Wilmot, Afton Alps, and Mt. Brighton.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

snowyslope92 wrote:

So If I am reading the press release correctly, Peak passholders can upgrade to one of the Epic passes;  But if they do, they will not be able to use the Epic pass at the peak resorts likely Whitetail or Liberty during the 2019/2020 season.  This is because the lift ticket scanning systems will not be integrated untill after this winter.   It that's the case, it would not make since for someone who skis regularly at the southern PA resorts to upgrade to the Epic pass.    However, if you keep your peak pass you can get 50% off windows ticket prices at some of the Epic resorts.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/peak-resorts-faq.aspx?cmpid=PAR_PASS_ANN_PK_00_00000_000000_20190924_v01

======================================

If I exchange my Peak or Midwest pass for an Epic Pass, can I keep my benefits?

Any Peak or Midwest pass holder that upgrades/exchanges to an Epic Pass product will get Epic Pass Club benefits at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Crested Butte, Park City, Whistler Blackcomb, Stevens Pass, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Wilmot, Afton Alps, and Mt. Brighton. 

Vail Resorts will be integrating lift ticket and season pass systems for the newly acquired Peak Resorts after the 2019-20 winter ski season and therefore Epic and Epic Day Pass benefits will not be eligible at the 17 Peak Resorts during this season.

Can I keep my Peak or Midwest Pass product? 
Yes, you can keep your Peak and/or Midwest pass products with the associated benefits for the 2019-20 season only. Please note, Peak and Midwest passes will also receive a 50% discount off the window rate at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Crested Butte, Park City, Whistler Blackcomb, Stevens Pass, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Wilmot, Afton Alps, and Mt. Brighton.

Well that puts an entirely different light on the idea of converting from Peak to Epic.  The Epic website looks clear that there is "unlimited, unrestricted access" to all 17 Peak locations for 2019-20.  But if you use the tool for seeing which Epic pass might be of interest, nothing is suggested if you only pick 10+ days for a Peak location.  Hmm . . .

I listened to the podcast about integrating new ski areas/resorts into the Epic technology a few weeks ago.  VR bought Afton Alps and Mt. Brighton at the same time back in Dec 2012.  The first fully VR season was 2013-14.  At the last minute Brighton opted to open a week earlier than expected, on the same day as Afton.  VR staff brought in from the Rockies to help with the transition had to leave Afton on Opening Day after a few hours to go help Brighton.  Certainly makes sense to wait to roll out the integration of the VR style of RFID ticketing and all the associated changes until 2020-21.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 25, 2019
3,246 posts

The refund/exchange process is pretty well explained in the FAQ.  Includes prices.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/peak-resorts-faq.aspx

Refund Exchange Process: 

1. Due to the announcement of the acquisition close, we are anticipating higher than normal call volume to our Call Center.  If you purchased your Peak or Midwest Pass prior to the 7/22/19 acquisition announcement, we would encourage you to contact Vail Resorts after October 13 to upgrade or exchange to an Epic Season Pass Product (we will honor Epic Pass pricing and benefits on your new pass in line with those available before the acquisition announcement date), until season passes for the 2019-20 season are no longer being sold. You can contact Vail Resorts pass sales customer service at 1-970-754-0058 with any questions and to upgrade or exchange your Peak or Midwest pass product to an Epic Season Pass product. 

1. If you purchased your Peak or Midwest Pass after the 7/22/19 acquisition announcement, please contact Vail Resorts to upgrade or exchange to an Epic Season Pass product at the current price and benefit offering available for that product. 

2. Vail Resorts will process your upgrade and process the refund of your Peak or Midwest pass product within seven business days.

If I purchased a Peak or Midwest Pass prior to the 7/22/19 acquisition announcement, what is the Epic Season Pass pricing I am eligible for?

• Epic Pass: $939 adult, $489 child
  • Epic Local Pass: $699 adult, $569 teen, $369 child
  • Military Epic Pass: $129 adult
  • Epic 7-Day Pass: $731 adult, $621 adult restricted
  • Epic 6-Day Pass: $645 adult, $548 adult restricted
  • Epic 5-Day Pass: $553 adult, $470 adult restricted
  • Epic 4-Day Pass:  $456 adult, $388 adult restricted
MitchSH
September 25, 2019
56 posts

Epic pass holders will have full access to skiing at

all Peak resorts.  I think the benefits referred to 

above refers to special discounts for food or lodging etc.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

MitchSH wrote:

Epic pass holders will have full access to skiing at

all Peak resorts.  I think the benefits referred to 

above refers to special discounts for food or lodging etc.  

That was my first thought.  But not so sure after seeing what the Epic selection tool is doing for Peak locations.  Maybe someone should call and ask.  It's a huge difference for a Peak passholder.

50% off on day tickets at the VR destination resorts out west is lower than the price when buying an Epic Day Pass (1-7 days).  So a Peak passholder who wants fly for a ski trip may well be better off keeping their Peak pass.

snowyslope92
September 25, 2019
Member since 09/24/2018 🔗
24 posts

Your probably right.  It would seem like bad PR to exclude the new resorts from the Epic pass especially when they have been telling us that we are EPIC for the last 3 months

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 25, 2019
3,246 posts

Kept working my way thru the FAQ.  Here's the clearest statement about using an Epic pass at a former Peak location.  A little funny to imagine an Australian spending time at a Peak resort.

If I already purchased my Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass, Military Epic Pass, Epic Day Pass, or Epic Australia Pass do I need to do anything to add Peak Resorts ski area access?
No, if you have already purchased an Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass, Military Epic Pass, Epic Day Pass, or Epic Australia Pass you will receive access to all Peak Resorts ski areas for the 2019/20 season.  There is no additional cost and the pass will automatically be valid at these 17 resorts.

skiracerx
October 1, 2019
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

NO only plan was local driving this season. The good reason is budd y and friend benifits are better on EPIC vs PEAK

PEAK 25% vs Epic at 50% off window. ??? 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.