Ad: Advertise on DCSki this Winter

Pass time in a long lift line.
Home
2019 - 2020 Snowshoe Thread
59 posts from 17 users
Updated 10 hours ago
Jump to Newest Post
2 months ago

Since I’m an SS “homer’ perhaps  we can keep our SS love (and hate) in one thread for this season.

Look what my buddy just sent me …….

And so it begins.  Portable snow guns moved out of storage

2 months ago

Snowshoe’s Early Season Pass is available.  $109 gets you unlimted access from opening day til Christmas.

Details here

2 months ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Since I’m an SS “homer’ perhaps  we can keep our SS love (and hate) in once thread for this season.

Look what my buddy just sent me …….

And so it begins.  Portable snow guns moved out of storage

Temps may hit 32 Sat night and next week so look for gun testing to start soon!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Got an email from Ikon with opening dates for the east.  Snowshoe projected date is Nov. 22.

2 months ago

marzNC wrote:

Got an email from Ikon with opening dates for the east.  Snowshoe projected date is Nov. 22.

FWIW, last year they did manage to hit the target opening date on 11/21 with 2 blues, 1 park, and if I remember correctly all of hootenanny and maybe log slide. Really ended up being one of the better opening days in a while, weather helped them some, but I’m sure the new snow makers made a difference 

2 months ago

rbrtlav wrote:

marzNC wrote:

FWIW, last year they did manage to hit the target opening date on 11/21 with 2 blues, 1 park, and if I remember correctly all of hootenanny and maybe log slide. Really ended up being one of the better opening days in a while, weather helped them some, but I’m sure the new snow makers made a difference 

No, it was 14 trails….

http://www.dcski.com/forum/95441

2 months ago

Snowshoe talk is the sole reason I visit this site. Wonder if there are enough of us to make a sub forum viable. 

one month ago

A couple friends stayed in my condo this weekend and sent me these ……

one month ago

Certainly not a powder day.  It’s always nice to see those first flakes to get the blood flowing.

one month ago
First flakes are falling now!
one month ago

Bonzski wrote:

First flakes are falling now!

I’ll get this webpage cleaned up one day but here’s all the SS cams on one page.  2 thumbs up for snow

SS WEBCAMS 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

Neat!  Snow before Halloween!

OpenSnow has 4 cameras linked to the Snowshoe webpage.  May need to be a subscriber to see them.  But the annual fee is pretty low.  Includes Silver Creek.

one month ago

Or just go here for free:

http://www.resortcams.com/ski-cams/

one month ago

2019.2020 WINTER EVENT SCHEDULE

NOVEMBER 22 Official Opening Day (weather permitting)

NOVEMBER 28 -30  Thanksgiving Weekend Celebration

DECEMBER 13 Silver Creek Opening Day (weather permitting)

DECEMBER 14  Park Jam present by Smith

DECEMBER 14 Winter Brewfest

DECEMBER 15 WV SKI FREE DAY

DECEMBER 31 New Year’s Eve Celebration (The Connection, Split Rock Pool, Kids Kountdown, Big Top, Hoots and Village Plaza)

JANUARY 4-5 Burton Women’sSnowboardCamp

JANUARY 11-12 Burton Kid’s Snowboard Camp

JANUARY 11-12  SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U10-U14

JANUARY 17-19 Martin LutherKing Weekend

JANUARY 25-26 HEAD Women’sSkiCamp

FEBRUARY 1-2 SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U-16-U19

FEBRUARY 3 Cupp Run Challenge

FEBRUARY 8  Progression Session

FEBRUARY 14-17  President’s Weekend

FEBRUARY 19-21 SWRA (South Eastern Winter Reps Association)

FEBRUARY 21 Winter Gala presented:by Snowshoe Foundation

FEBRUARY 22 Berming Man

FEBRURARY 29-March 1 SARA (Southern Alpine Racing Association) U14 Championship

MARCH 7-8 Homegrown Music Festival & Crescent Ski Council-Private Race

MARCH 13-14 Ballhooter Spring Break Festival

MARCH 15 Silver Creek Closing Day

MARCH 21 Snowshoe Pond Skim

MARCH 22  WV SKI FREE

MARCH 28 End of Season PassHolderAppreciationParty

MARCH 29 Last day of ski season

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

Is there usually a demo day at Snowshoe in December?  How about January?

one month ago

Will we see snow gun testing this weekend at the Shoe?

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 28.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 39.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Blustery.

Sunday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. Breezy.

Sunday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 26.

one month ago

Snow Guns Blazing at the SHOE  ——- Shavers Webcam

one month ago
Guns been on & off last 3 days. Might be more than testing. Next few nights are marginal temps then it’s all-in Thurs through ???
one month ago

Snowshoe all in as expected.  Good to see HV and 7S rocking this AM. I’m heading to the Pittsbugh airport this AM and it’s friggin cold around here.

I’m surprised to see Siver Creek running several guns.  They already tested those last week.  They usually do not open until a couple weeks after the basin.

Snowshoe Cams 

Seven Springs Cams

Hidden Valley Cams

one month ago

Whale watching at the Shoe

one month ago

Homer or not, the snow cams are looking good. SS is always the most reliable bet in the DC metro area. Love the south montain (soaring eagle lift). Camp 99, Sawmill and Widow Maker are calling.

one month ago

So I booked a trip to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  (WOOT!)  We will stay in Expedition Station.  The question arose as to whether the snow making guns might be loud when on at night and mess with our sleep if we are in a room on the slope side.

Anyone have an opinion on this?  It’s not too late to request a room on the other side.  TIA

one month ago

Keith_Moon wrote:

… snow making guns might be loud …

REAL L-O-U-D…sorta like camping in a puptent on an airport runway!!! LOL

one month ago

You will definitely hear them.  More importantly, you’ll hear the groomers at 5 - 7 AM.  They are pretty loud when they back up with that safety beep.

I smile when I hear them.   That means you are close to the slopes !!

one month ago
I stayed in ES once. Don’t recall the guns being an issue but maybe they didn’t run. Several friend have stay at mountain lodge on a regular basis and they don’t complain.
one month ago

So, are they less loud on the village side?

one month ago

You can hear them, but it’s more of a white noise and I actually like the sound of the fan guns. The kicker is the cats that sometimes have the backup alarms, I think they try to avoid grooming skidder overnight but sometimes weather or snowmaking means it needs an early morning grooming. 
I think they have ear plugs available, but honestly it’s going to be much quieter than any hotel near a road or airport and if you don’t mind white noise you probably won’t notice it. Village side you likely won’t hear them at all, but on a busy weekend you would hear them at all, but you get the village noises.

29 days ago

SS flexing their “Guns”

24 days ago

Snowshoe started pushing out the whales today. Of course the weather looks shitty for opening day on Friday.

24 days ago

And, of course, it looks like an overnight freeze into Saturday  GAH

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe started pushing out the whales today. Of course the weather looks shitty for opening day on Friday.

22 days ago

Anybody wants to take over my reserved two bedroom at Silver Creek Lodge, Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort, West Virgina. Silver Creek Lodge is where the night slopes are open

It is 1 standard bedroom with spacious loft at 2nd floor. Official description: “These units have a full kitchen, living area with a sleeper sofa, 1 enclosed bedroom, 1 bedroom in the loft area. Two bathrooms, electric fireplace, washer/dryer and a balcony.”

Checkin 12/20

Checkout 12/26

I can add your name to the checkin names, then you pay snowshoe directly, $1325 tax included. (currently no more sales and no more room available, similar rooms will cost at least $2000

22 days ago

Snowshoe opens Friday!  This is a great video showing the effort to bring the Cheat Mountain Snow WhLes to submission in time for opening day!! https://youtu.be/Uc64T54zVZE

Enjoy!!!

MorganB aka The Colonel

21 days ago

I see people SKIING/snowboardin on their webcams right now (Thursday)!!!  Jealous moment

21 days ago

Timothy.grasso wrote:

I see people SKIING/snowboardin on their webcams right now (Thursday)!!!  Jealous moment

SS opened the slopes to ski patrol, volunteers and staff from 12 - 2 today.

20 days ago

Opening day update.  The morning was ugly with a capital U.  Fog, rain, wind and 40*.  The snow was in excellent shape.

By 2 PM the sun peeked out and by 4 PM the temps dropped to 32.

Limited pics:

20 days ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5AyPuXgvR7/

Found this instagram post which has what appears to be an employee memo breaking down some of the new changes for Snowshoe in 2019-20. Hits on a couple of different things but for me the highlights were…

- Shifting of retail spaces in village. Starbucks moves over to the 4848 spot at the bottom of rimfire. Signatures&Sweets moves into the old starbucks spot. 4848 moves to expedition. FullTilt moves to shavers. 

- Lodge at the base of the mountain is now all employee housing.

- cosmic tubing

- But IMO the biggest news is… improved verizon cellular and wifi service. The whole being cut off from everything was cute for a little while but we have reached the point where something had to be done. 

18 days ago

4848’ is next to the depot, in the old full tilt. Full tilt moved to the old signatures in expedition. As far as I can tell there were no changes at shavers. I believe this was mostly driven by a desire to increase the size of Starbucks 

I don’t know if I need a carrier update or not, but I’m still not seeing Verizon, WiFi does seem expanded though, but that happens before UCI in September.

One big thing missing on that list is the brewery that opened up near silver creek over the summer!

17 days ago

Verizon service has been delayed. 

17 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

4848’ is next to the depot, in the old full tilt. Full tilt moved to the old signatures in expedition. As far as I can tell there were no changes at shavers. I believe this was mostly driven by a desire to increase the size of Starbucks 

I don’t know if I need a carrier update or not, but I’m still not seeing Verizon, WiFi does seem expanded though, but that happens before UCI in September.

One big thing missing on that list is the brewery that opened up near silver creek over the summer!

Yesterday when I was in the Parking lot accross from the bus stops I got a very string signal from AT&T.  

16 days ago

I did not know SS sold a night only lift ticket.  Anyone else?  Scroll down just below the 3 day pass rates.  49 bucks.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/lift-tickets

15 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I did not know SS sold a night only lift ticket.  Anyone else?  Scroll down just below the 3 day pass rates.  49 bucks.

Wow, that’s new.  Haven’t seen any promotions or ads so thanks for heads up.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
15 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Any idea what time the night rate will start at Silver Creek?  Massanutten starts at 4:00 but I know of ski areas where the night ticket starts at 3:00, 5:00, or 6:00pm.

13 days ago
Just curious did something happen over at Silver Creek? Webcams is down and the still photo shows a backhoe in foreground. Snowmaking line blowout?
10 days ago

3-for-all lift tickets went back on sale at 8am this morning!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
10 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

3-for-all lift tickets went back on sale at 8am this morning!

Maybe too many people were paying attention for Cyber Monday.  As of about 10am there is a notice that 3-for-All is having “technical difficulties” but it’s being worked on.

10 days ago

padjaski68 wrote:

Just curious did something happen over at Silver Creek? Webcams is down and the still photo shows a backhoe in foreground. Snowmaking line blowout?

I was wondering the same but have heard nothing.  That webcam is still off line.  And I wish they’d adjust that one at Arbuckle’s.  It’s been pointing at a door for about a week now.

8 days ago

Why doesn’t Snowshoe have any cams on the Soaring Eagle area?  Or do they and they just aren’t up until the terrain is opened?

8 days ago

ultragib wrote:

Why doesn’t Snowshoe have any cams on the Soaring Eagle area?  Or do they and they just aren’t up until the terrain is opened?

Hoot’s would be a great place to mount one facing Widowmaker and the lift.  

But the good news is that Snowshoe is under another winter weather advisory today / tomorrow so the webcams will be going nuts again.

7 days ago

Blue Don, like the picture of the Dane!

Silver Creek cam is back live making snow!  Wish I could go this weekend but next weekend is looking good, too

5 days ago

I witnessed snow making on all of Cupp Run and Upper Shays today.

5 days ago

Blue Don, What is your site with all the SS cams on it, including yours?

MorganB aka The Colonel

4 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB aka The Colonel

It’s now a redirect from our HOA website - www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/mobile

Correction:  @Bonzski told me last night that they were making ski on LOWER Shays as well.

3 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB aka The Colonel

It’s now a redirect from our HOA website - www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/mobile

Correction:  @Bonzski told me last night that they were making ski on LOWER Shays as well.

Yup.  As I was leaving yesterday it looked like the whales on lower Shays had been pushed out making edge-to-edge coverage.

2 days ago

WV residents can ski free at Snowshoe on Sunday, December 15, 2019.

http://www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/winter/snowshoe-wv-residents-ski-free-dec-15-2019/

18 hours ago

The cam at the base of the Western Territory is operational!!!

https://evovision.citynet.net/snowshoe/cam2.cfm?feed=11&isMobile

17 hours ago

The Colonel wrote:

The cam at the base of the Western Territory is operational!!!

https://evovision.citynet.net/snowshoe/cam2.cfm?feed=11&isMobile

Don’t settle for just one when we have them all wrapped up in bow.  It’s a simple mobile site we built a few years ago and added a redirect from our HOA site this year.

www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/mobile

10 hours ago

Snowshoe anounced on their facebook page that cupp run and upper shay’s will be open on Saturday.  Can’t wait to get out there.

Ad: Advertise on DCSki this Winter

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.25 seconds