5 posts
5 users
2k+ views
MitchSH
November 2, 2019
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts

I am thinking of getting winter/snow tires for my Forester this season because 

I am planning many trips to Snowshoe, DAKs and Vermont. Any recommendations?

Would prefer something that is ok on regular roads as well as snowy roads, is  there such a thing?

Also any recommendations for tire shops?  Thanks in advance  

rmcva
November 2, 2019
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts

Used non-studded Bridgestone Blizzak WSxx tires for many years.  They were used on a Subaru Outback and Honda Accord.  Never had problems.  Back when I was using them they were WS50's and now those last 2 numbers keep changing - one website showed WS90's.

Muddytyres
November 12, 2019
Member since 03/26/2019 🔗
8 posts

I had firestone winterforce nonstudded for years, usually 3 high mileage years out of them. I have some generals the last two years and they are great but I'm going to have to replace them much sooner than I would have the winterforce. Blizzaks get really great reviews, friends who use them love them.

Crush
November 12, 2019 (edited November 12, 2019)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

MitchSH wrote:

I am thinking of getting winter/snow tires for my Forester this season because 

I am planning many trips to Snowshoe, DAKs and Vermont. Any recommendations?

Would prefer something that is ok on regular roads as well as snowy roads, is  there such a thing?

Also any recommendations for tire shops?  Thanks in advance  

Michelin X Ice - you don't live in Utah and they will last way longer than Blizzaks which is the knee-jerk response.   You'll save some coin and for where you are going to the Michelin X Ice will do you well. I've had them on my Forester for over two years in Incline Village where you get more ice than fluff. You can usually get a nice discount on them about now, and I find them to almost be racy-sticky when temps are above 45 degrees (I do have to drive up and down Mt. Rose Hwy). Blizzaks just use a softer rubber compound that wears out really quickly and leaves a lot of rubber on the road that you will miss 15K miles later.

skimunky
November 20, 2019
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
15 posts

Have you considered the Nokian WRG4? They aren't a dedicated winter tire, but they are an all-season, mountain snowflake badged tire that is reviewed well for winter conditions.  Living in Richmond, VA, I can't justify a dedicated set of snow tires, but the WRG4's provide some added performance when the roads are white.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?