15 posts
7 users
2k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Who's going skiing this weekend?

Bryce announced today they will be open 10am-4pm Sat-Sun, Nov. 16-17.

Roundtop will be open.

In NC, Sugar, App, and Cat will be open.  App opens today.

#ThankASnowmaker

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2019
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Thinking about Bryce ...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2019
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Thinking about Bryce ...

I'm headed that way in the morning.  Staying at Massanutten for a long weekend and have the Indy Pass, so seems like a chance to check out Bryce for the first time. :-)

MitchSH
November 15, 2019
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts

Headed to Roundtop Sunday for the first day on

my Epic Pass. They will have two runs from the top of the Minuteman lift. 

mdr227
November 16, 2019
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

marzNC wrote:

bousquet19 wrote:

Thinking about Bryce ...

I'm headed that way in the morning.  Staying at Massanutten for a long weekend and have the Indy Pass, so seems like a chance to check out Bryce for the first time. :-)

Bryce has just one trail open (Bootlegger) which is an intermediate there, though there short bunny hill service by a conveyor belt is open too don't think you'll do many runs on that one ;-).    When all the trails are open at Bryce it's a good little family ski hill that can be fun on the weekends as the crowds are lighter than the bigger places, but with just one green run and really three intermediate ones (though one has two different ways to start it so they count that as a fourth one) it can get old after a few hours.    We always have enjoyed when we would go there when our kids were younger.  

Kudos for them for being the first one in VA/MD/WV to open.   

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2019
3,246 posts

mdr227 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Bryce has just one trail open (Bootlegger) which is an intermediate there, though there short bunny hill service by a conveyor belt is open too don't think you'll do many runs on that one ;-).    When all the trails are open at Bryce it's a good little family ski hill that can be fun on the weekends as the crowds are lighter than the bigger places, but with just one green run and really three intermediate ones (though one has two different ways to start it so they count that as a fourth one) it can get old after a few hours.    We always have enjoyed when we would go there when our kids were younger.  

Kudos for them for being the first one in VA/MD/WV to open.   

Thanks for the description.  I stopped by Bryce to look at the base at some point driving south in the fall.  Having spent the last few years sampling the northeast during early season, the idea is to do "tourist skiing."  That means I ride every open lift, including the beginner lift.  My first introduction to Killington there was only one trail open top to bottom.  But after that day, the Killington trail map made a lot more sense.  My stay at Mnut was planned a while back for reasons totally unrelated to getting on skis.  But when I packed for the drive, I figured I might as well be an optimist and bring the rock skis and other ski stuff. :-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2019
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Thinking about Bryce ...

Headed to Bryce shortly.  Only about an hour from Massanutten.

Red helmet, maroon pants, blue boots, old Black Pearls with the purple bull and lots of stickers.  Glasses today since it's not worth putting in contacts for a few short runs.  Probably leave by 1pm.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2019
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

MarzNC, hope you enjoy those first turns.  Looks like a great day!

Sorry I can't join you on the snow.  Too many family projects on the list for this weekend.  I'll save those "Dad needs to go skiing today" chips to cash in later in the season.

Woody

rbrtlav
November 16, 2019
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Roundtop has a blue and black open and is skiing well for November. But just a heads up... the epic pass upgrades are taking time and they are running a light staff... worth the wait, but bring your patience

camp
November 16, 2019
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

The surprise start to the season led to a flurry of small hardware jobs around the house yesterday. Roundtop was worth it today. We've skied worse in recent Februarys.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2019 (edited November 17, 2019)
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

MarzNC, hope you enjoy those first turns.  Looks like a great day!

Sorry I can't join you on the snow.  Too many family projects on the list for this weekend.  I'll save those "Dad needs to go skiing today" chips to cash in later in the season.

Woody

Completely understand.  While I had a very good time, if my non-skiing husband had decided to join me for the long weekend at Massanutten, no way would I have been driving to Bryce this morning.

The most unusual aspect was that one lift was serving skiers/riders while the other was still set up for mountain bikers.  Not sure any other ski resort can do that.

Bryce 11/16/19, double-chair open for Boomerang, quad open for mountain biking

TomH
November 18, 2019 (edited November 18, 2019)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Think I saw you.  Wish I had read this description before I went up to Bryce - I would have said hello.  Wonderful day to get out and Bryce has done a very nice job with their little mountain.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2019
3,246 posts

TomH wrote:

Think I saw you.  Wish I had read this description before I went up to Bryce - I would have said hello.  Wonderful day to get out and Bryce has done a very nice job with their little mountain.

Sorry, wasn't sure what I was going to wear until that morning.  Were you on tele skis?  I talked to one couple where the man was doing tele and the woman made very nice turns.  Followed them down for a couple of runs.

Hoping to get back to Bryce for a day in January when all the trails are open.

TomH
November 18, 2019
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

That was us! Maybe next time. Beautiful day .

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2019
3,246 posts

TomH wrote:

That was us! Maybe next time. Beautiful day .

LOL.  Hope you didn't mind me following.  I got the sense you would be going a reasonable pace as I figured out what speed made sense for a first day of the season.  Especially when the snow was still pretty frozen.  Plus it's fun to watch tele turns.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.