Home
Elk Mountain firsthand report
17 posts from 9 users
Updated 2 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
26 days ago

ICYMI on the Elk vs. Montage thread

Skiing: January 18, 2020 Elk Mountain

View from the top of the Tunkhannock trail at Elk Mountain Ski area in Northeast Pennsylvania

UNION DALE, Pa. — The false winter of November yielded to a difficult weather pattern for Mid-Atlantic snow sports enthusiasts. A major winter storm hitting the northern portion of the country gave hope that an annual ski trip with a Penn State friend, “The Videographer” could happen over MLK weekend. In order to make it happen, we needed to go north.

Read more

YAAAAH-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOOEY!

24 days ago

Sweet report!  And great website!   This season I am committed to Killington mostly with a pass but looking forward to next season and getting back to more local slopes as weather allows,  these reports really help, another old favorite Blue Knob was never fully open to enjoy what looks to be some awesome terrain whenever I was there.

24 days ago

Vermont wrote:

Sweet report!  And great website!   This season I am committed to Killington mostly with a pass but looking forward to next season and getting back to more local slopes as weather allows,  these reports really help, another old favorite Blue Knob was never fully open to enjoy what looks to be some awesome terrain whenever I was there.

Glad you enjoyed the write-up and site, @Vermont. 

Elk was pretty good, I think I’ll go back, but it’s a weekend committment or at least half a weekend. That’s tough on a commuter skier like me, I might get out once.

I have only been to Blue Knob once in 2012. It appeared uncaptialized then and it sounds like it hasn’t gotten better. It’s a real shame, because it’s unique among Mid-Atlantic ski areas with Stembogan Bowl and just the general vibe.

24 days ago

wfyurasko wrote:

Vermont wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the write-up and site, @Vermont. 

Elk was pretty good, I think I’ll go back, but it’s a weekend committment or at least half a weekend. That’s tough on a commuter skier like me, I might get out once.

I have only been to Blue Knob once in 2012. It appeared uncaptialized then and it sounds like it hasn’t gotten better. It’s a real shame, because it’s unique among Mid-Atlantic ski areas with Stembogan Bowl and just the general vibe.

Stembogan that’s it, caught my attention years ago but never seen it open, cool pictures you added, that’s a nice ride up 81, I will put Elk on list of places to try along with Laurel sounds cool and I have always wanted to check out Massanutten since moving down here, 

4 days ago
Hi, could the forum members recommend a place to stay near Elk Mountain. Thinking about taking the family there this weekend, and Scranton seems to be the closest town with good hotel options. My wife doesnt ski so I am looking for a comfortable place for her to spend her time while we are skiing. Unfortunately, Scranton looks to be about a 40min drive to the ski resort.
4 days ago

I’ve stayed at the Hotel Anthracite in Carbondale, which is about a 15 minute drive from Elk Mountain. It’s a lovely, modern property with a great restaurant and bar. The town is quiet and old-school and has a handful of restaurants aside from the one at the hotel.

Otherwise, Dickson City and Clarks Summit are the closest alternates but are more like 30-35 minutes from Elk. They benefit from proximity to Scranton with more dining options.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

Dafixison wrote:

Hi, could the forum members recommend a place to stay near Elk Mountain. Thinking about taking the family there this weekend, and Scranton seems to be the closest town with good hotel options. My wife doesnt ski so I am looking for a comfortable place for her to spend her time while we are skiing. Unfortunately, Scranton looks to be about a 40min drive to the ski resort.

Several years ago I stayed at the Microtel Inn in Dickson City.  Had a Ski & Stay package back then, but don’t know if it still exists.

The Hotel Anthracite sounds like more comfortable place to hang out for a non-skier.

One advantage of Montage over Elk is that it’s closer to Scranton.

4 days ago

Yes, Anthracite is a bit more upscale than the Microtel. I’ve stayed at both, and I prefer Anthracite as it’s a lot closer to Elk than the Dickson City hotels and only marginally more expensive. I can’t speak to a lodging-plus-ticket deal, though one would definitely be enticing.

3 days ago

Wyfursko, thanks for the report on Elk.  It’s been too loing since I’ve been there, and I was wondering how they were doing this season.

If the family would enjoy a quieter, rural setting, I stayed at Wiffy Bog Farm B and B in Clifford, PA, less than 5 miles to Elk.  Carbondale and Scranton are maybe a half-hour away, though.

Woody

3 days ago

Wfyursko, thanks for the informative and interesting report on Elk.  Pennsylvania’s best, as far as I’m concerned.  It’s been too loing since I’ve been there, and I was wondering how they were doing this season.

If the family would enjoy a quieter, rural setting, I stayed at Wiffy Bog Farm B and B in Clifford, PA, less than 5 miles to Elk.  Carbondale and Scranton are maybe a half-hour away, though.

Woody

3 days ago

Thank you All for your recommendations.  

We are currently booked at the Hilton in Scranton; a little farther then the recommended hotels in Carbondale and the surrounding areas;  Ultimately, with my Diamond status with Hilton, the free breakfast and late checkout tipped the scale for us.

We had planned to ski at Elk on Sunday and Monday.  However, we did not realize that there is another close by resort, Montage, as marzNC has mentioned.  Is it advisable to split the days between the two resorts?  The kids are 10 and 12, but they love to ski the more challenging Blue and Black trails.

3 days ago

I have skied Montage and really liked it!  A few years ago during a very warm winter and they had a lot of trails open with good coverage.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 days ago

Dafixison wrote:

Thank you All for your recommendations.  

We are currently booked at the Hilton in Scranton; a little farther then the recommended hotels in Carbondale and the surrounding areas;  Ultimately, with my Diamond status with Hilton, the free breakfast and late checkout tipped the scale for us.

We had planned to ski at Elk on Sunday and Monday.  However, we did not realize that there is another close by resort, Montage, as marzNC has mentioned.  Is it advisable to split the days between the two resorts?  The kids are 10 and 12, but they love to ski the more challenging Blue and Black trails.

The lower mountain black trails at Montage are quite fun.  Depending on the snow, might be bumps.  White Lightning is steep enough to require a winch cat for grooming when that’s necessary.  You won’t find many intermediates in that section of the mountain.  Note that it’s very hard to see the lower mountain from the highway.  The lodge is actually in the middle of the mountain. Assuming you’re driving up on Friday, you might take a short detour and take a look on the way to Scranton.

Assuming you may want to get up to that area again in the future, there’s a lot to be said for checking out both places.  I like both but for different reasons.

2 days ago

bousquet19 wrote:

Wfyursko, thanks for the informative and interesting report on Elk.  Pennsylvania’s best, as far as I’m concerned.  It’s been too loing since I’ve been there, and I was wondering how they were doing this season.

Woody

Thanks, glad you liked my blog post. 

Elk is one of my favorites in Pennsylvania so far. I saw on twitter the other day that they have all trails open now. If I had the time, I’d go back this season. 

2 days ago

Thanks for your awesome report! I was thinking about going to their or snowshoe at the end of the month. Does Elk’s steeper runs compare well to Snowshoe? (I’ve never been to either) I just hesistate with snowshoe because apart from the western territory it looks like terrain that’s very crowded and isn’t any better than whitetail. 

2 days ago

jpetraiuolo wrote:

Thanks for your awesome report! I was thinking about going to their or snowshoe at the end of the month. Does Elk’s steeper runs compare well to Snowshoe? (I’ve never been to either) I just hesistate with snowshoe because apart from the western territory it looks like terrain that’s very crowded and isn’t any better than whitetail. 

I’m glad you enjoyed my report.

I haven’t been to Snowshoe either — I’m a commuter skier for the most part, though I’ll sometimes I’ll get a motel or stay with a friend if I’m going up to the Poconos. This was my first trip to Elk and not everything is open, so I can’t give you a complete answer on the steep runs. I feel like Timberline had some pretty steep runs, but that doesn’t help this year. Montage has some short steep runs as well and that’s slightly closer.

2 days ago

Dafixison wrote:

If you are able to ski at Montage I would recommend that you do so - the pod of black runs on the lower mountain really are fun. I will say that the blue ruins at Montage are on the easier side, though. Elk seems to do a good job of having both a blue and black option available so if you needed to split up it would be easy to meet again at the bottom of the lift.

Ad: Seven Springs Mountain Resort

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.24 seconds