Shotmaker
January 24, 2020
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

A truly wonderful article about Snowshoe Mountain in general, the Western Territory specifically. A literary masterpiece when compared to most articles about skiing!! Be sure to read the other articles referenced at the end of the SS article.
MorganB aka The Colonel

JohnL
January 24, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

The Colonel wrote:

A truly wonderful article about Snowshoe Mountain in general, the Western Territory specifically. A literary masterpiece when compared to most articles about skiing!! Be sure to read the other articles referenced at the end of the SS article.
MorganB aka The Colonel

Did not know Killy set the pace for the first few Cupp Run challenges. Pretty cool. 

But if you are an experienced old timer like me, Cupp has been homogenized quite a bit in the past 30 years. Mostly to more safely accommate higher skier traffic of more skill levels. The original architectural creativity has been lost.

Shotmaker
January 24, 2020
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

JohnL wrote:
"But if you are an experienced old timer like me, Cupp has been homogenized quite a bit in the past 30 years. Mostly to more safely accommate higher skier traffic of more skill levels. The original architectural creativity has been lost."

Maybe you can elaborate some as I first skied there back in 1979. I do remember the slow chair lift although I though it was a double with a mid station just above the crossover from Upper Shay's to Lower Cupp. I do not remember the contours being that different from what we have today. I'm sure the headwall section is wider if that's what your referring about. 

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2020
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

It is a great run the for mid-atlantic area. The view is always memorable.  

But the quote from Killy "that he considered one of his favorite ten lift-served runs in the world".    I find that hard to believe, just a bit of marketing in my opinion.  

eggraid
January 27, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I remember there being some sizable moguls on Cupp in the 90's at some point. I found it very intimidating for my ski ablility at the time.

JohnL
January 27, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

JohnL wrote:
"But if you are an experienced old timer like me, Cupp has been homogenized quite a bit in the past 30 years. Mostly to more safely accommate higher skier traffic of more skill levels. The original architectural creativity has been lost."

Maybe you can elaborate some as I first skied there back in 1979. I do remember the slow chair lift although I though it was a double with a mid station just above the crossover from Upper Shay's to Lower Cupp. I do not remember the contours being that different from what we have today. I'm sure the headwall section is wider if that's what your referring about. 

They straightened out and widened a bunch of the kinks. Most notably the hard left turn into a cat track before the final 50 foot vert to the lift. That section could get sketchy. And up top, they widened a few sections and removed a few doglegs.

I grew up skiing classic narrow winding New England trails. Subtle differences make a big difference. But, you have to do some of the regrading, straightening and widening to accommodate more skiers.

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2020
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Know about Jean Claude Killy designed Cupp Run at the Shoe.  Finally got to ski it the very first time 2 weeks ago (my 4th trip).  Previous 3 times never made to Western Territory, because I did not have the skils or the guts to ski it.

Cupp felt icier than Shay's.  Personally I prefer Shay's because it is a bit wider and better snow condition.  But that's just based on a one day experience.  

Now the thread drift....  

Jean Claude Killy is a living legend in France.  His home mountain is Val D'Isere, also known as "Espace Killy" after his Olympic win.  Back in the days, there was no such thing as financial endorsements from brand products, he had a full time job to "fund' his training, and find time to train.  He used to work as a customs officer in French border.  Back in the days, it was forbidden to carry cash from France to Italy.  In winter times, as a customs officer, he'd put on his skis and chase smugglers in mountains.  He learned to ski fast to catch them, also got to hone in his skills, My french friend told me this story, she attended the Olympic award ceremony when he won the gold in '68.  

This tells something about one's persistence and motivation.  

Sorry for the drift.  Now back to regular programming.  

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.