Massanutten - Gimme the Skinny
7 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Keith_Moon
January 25, 2020 (edited January 25, 2020)
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Folks,

We have never skied Massanutten before but we're considering a trip there.  I know it's pretty small but it's closer to us than Snowshoe and the water park is appealing to my wife and kids.  And the fact that the black runs are lit up is appealing.

I know the basics of it but I would appreciate if the hive mind could educate me on the "ins and outs" of how to best enjoy our time there (and save money).  For example, whether it's best to stay right there at the resort or not, are there any food/lodging options nearby but NOT at the resort, are there ski-out options, should we avoid any certain lift or area at any certain time,  etc.  At Snowshoe we always get a unit with a kitchen and cook in most of the time.  Are there places to buy groceries and such near Massanutten?

As for our ability level, my kids are able to ski most of the black runs at Snowshoe.

TIA

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I loved the black diamond runs off of Lift 6. It was also a couple of days after the 2014 Pitchers & Catchers Day Storm and a blue bird day. Probably my favorite day of skiing to date.

Full report: February 15, 2014 Skiing: Massanutten

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2020 (edited January 25, 2020)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I ran into Kenny of SkiSE yesterday morning on Lift 6.  I was taking a few last runs before leaving.  Quite a difference from Jan. 18 to Jan. 24.

Kenny took some video so I expect he'll post it somewhere.  He's there with wife and friends this weekend.  It's been 4-5 five years since he's been on snow at Mnut.  The terrain hasn't changed but the level of snowmaking has been enhanced quite a bit.  The fact that they got Paradice open last week was pretty amazing.  Helps a lot not to have to worry about running out of water.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2020
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Folks,

We have never skied Massanutten before but we're considering a trip there.  I know it's pretty small but it's closer to us than Snowshoe and the water park is appealing to my wife and kids.  And the fact that the black runs are lit up is appealing.

I know the basics of it but I would appreciate if the hive mind could educate me on the "ins and outs" of how to best enjoy our time there (and save money).  For example, whether it's best to stay right there at the resort or not, are there any food/lodging options nearby but NOT at the resort, are there ski-out options, should we avoid any certain lift or area at any certain time,  etc.  At Snowshoe we always get a unit with a kitchen and cook in most of the time.  Are there places to buy groceries and such near Massanutten?

As for our ability level, my kids are able to ski most of the black runs at Snowshoe.

TIA

Sent details about lodging via email.  There is a Food Lion a few miles from the entrance of Mnut.  Also supermarkets in Harrisonburg near the exit off I-81 for US33.

Diamond Jim and Paradice are easier than the Western Territories mostly because they are shorter.  But have steep enough sections to be a challenge for advanced skiers/boarders.  Upper MakAttack is never groomed and grows bumps.  But hard to say if it will get open this season.  Night skiing off Lift 5 or Lift 6 is good fun.  Multi-day tickets include night skiing, which is open until 10pm on weekends, including Sun of a holiday weekend.

Mnut has 1100 ft vert total, with a bit over 800 ft off Lift 6 from the summit.  Upper Showtime off Lift 5 is a really nice wide trail.  It's rated blue but the top headwall (3-4 turns) is as steep as most of the steeper sections of DJ and Paradice.  Great fun for GS turns first thing in the morning when there are few people around.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2020
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

I loved the black diamond runs off of Lift 6. It was also a couple of days after the 2014 Pitchers & Catchers Day Storm and a blue bird day. Probably my favorite day of skiing to date.

Are you likely to get back to Mnut this season?  I'll be interested to see if there are people who go in late Feb or early Mar because they got the Indy Pass and still have a day or two to use.

I got the Spec Value Pass for Sun-Fri.  Used the Indy Pass for the two Saturdays I was there in the past few weeks.  Since Indy was $199 and I used it at Bryce for a day, any other days I get will be essentially free.  

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

marzNC wrote:

wfyurasko wrote:

Are you likely to get back to Mnut this season?  I'll be interested to see if there are people who go in late Feb or early Mar because they got the Indy Pass and still have a day or two to use.

I got the Spec Value Pass for Sun-Fri.  Used the Indy Pass for the two Saturdays I was there in the past few weeks.  Since Indy was $199 and I used it at Bryce for a day, any other days I get will be essentially free.  

I want to make my first trip back to Mnut, but as always it is dependent upon responsibilities, weather, etc. Any way to get a special rate for my 11 y/o? I'd put him in a lesson, but he'd wind up on blues before the day was over, I suspect.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2020
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

I want to make my first trip back to Mnut, but as always it is dependent upon responsibilities, weather, etc. Any way to get a special rate for my 11 y/o? I'd put him in a lesson, but he'd wind up on blues before the day was over, I suspect.

You mean besides the Junior rate?  Only standing discount is for Monday night skiing, which starts at 4pm.  $20 for a lift ticket and the money goes to a local charity.  Late season rates starts March 9.

The 1.5 hour Intermediate Clinic is a pretty good deal.  The start times are 9:00, 11:00, 1:00, 3:00, and 5:00.  Since she would come for only a couple days of skiing, I used to have my neice do the late afternoon session when she was a young teen.  Often had a solo lesson.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.