Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Go tell it on a mountain.
Home
Remaining Ski Season
13 posts from 8 users
Updated 3 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
12 days ago

Here we are on a Feb 4th and for the next two weeks at least temps will continue to be above average with just a couple of good, but short cold spells for snow making.   I know in recent years we’ve had warm starts to the Winter and there has been some comeback in late Feb to March, but there is nothing to indicate this pattern will change anytime soon.   I can’t recall a time recently when Snowshoe hasn’t been completely open by Feb (50 of 60 trails) and I think the only resort with 100% of its trails open is Bryce.   The resorts mostly have done an incredible job opening up terrain this Winter with so little natural snow, but I fear that at some point soon they are all going to pull the plug on additional snowmaking and it could be an early end to the season.  

12 days ago

I wish I could say your wrong but looking at the forecast, I don’t have much confidence unless some drastic weather pattern changes things.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but hard to make snow when temperatures never go below freezing.

12 days ago

Yeah things are tough at ski areas south of Albany, we are heading back to Killington Sunday if anyone is up for going there,  the week before MLK was awesome and it’s looking better up there now 

12 days ago

Snow is in the forecast Friday through Sunday at Snowshoe FWIW.

12 days ago

The rain is not being kind to the slopes today!  Canaan looks to be taking it right on the chin…  Lets hope for some cold and snow this weekend!

11 days ago

Timothy.grasso wrote:

The rain is not being kind to the slopes today!  Canaan looks to be taking it right on the chin…  Lets hope for some cold and snow this weekend!

Wow, you are right, the conditions on the webcams look awful (though nice to see they’ve added a new one at the mid-station).    Unless a weather miracle happens the President’s Day Weekend for most local places (other than Snowshoe and the PA ones like 7S, HV, etc.) is going to be a rough one.

11 days ago

I just saw the extended forecast and I’m thinking if I want to hit Massanutten this year, Saturday might be my best, last shot. Looks like Lift 6 slopes are hanging in there.

10 days ago

Supposed to go to Canaan Valley (or Whitetail) on the 21st.. however, looking at current conditions, forecast and pattern of behavior in regards to snow making.. I think the season will be over by then.  Unless they get a foot this weekend but I think may be an inch or two.  That will be melting away by Monday.  Whitetail is going to get crushed in the next two weeks (with no snow making temperatures on the horizon), I don’t think they will fully open this year. 

Such a depressing season.

10 days ago

Certainly doesn’t look good through at least President’s Day weekend.   If we finally start to get some cold weather by the end of February into early March not sure how much the resorts will want to invest in additional snowmaking trying to salvage a week or two.   

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

10 days ago

Here’s hoping Friday and Saturday nights get cold enough for snowmaking….really the only hope to extend things again.

9 days ago

Canaan says they will be making snow.  Probably trying to make it to President’s Day weekend.  I don’t see them make snow afterwards.  Here is hoping for a miracle.

Laurel Highlands (HV, Seven Springs and Laurel) seem to be the real winners from this winter blast of snow!

9 days ago

Also Snowshoe: making snow, getting natural!

3 days ago

So happy to hear that Canaan Valley (via facebook) said they will be making snow with the goal of staying open until mid March..  but damn, they look like they are on their last leg on the web cameras today!!!!  I know there is a good window starting tonight and lasting into the weekend.  They had better turn on every snow gun they have and turn the pump all the way up!  Still holding out hope for next Friday but its going to be hard to maintain anything with another round of warm weather/rain to start the upcoming week.  Only DC winter I can relate this one to is the winter of 2001-2002 which we had an inch (and ZERO snow days, I am a teacher so these things are important) but the next winter was a heavy snow winter!  There is hope for winter 2020-2010!

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Snow reason not to share.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.23 seconds