3,551 posts

See other thread. http://www.dcski.com/forum/99416

Means WT/Liberty/RT/Snowshoe.

I was 50-50 hitting Liberty tmw.

MitchSH
March 14, 2020
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts

Does that leave Seven Springs as the only option for Sunday?

bob
March 14, 2020
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

All Colorado skiing is closed, effective immediately.  The first death due to COVID-19 was announced this morning.  An elderly woman in Colorado Springs.  But was an active senior.  She was at a bridge tournament for several days in late Feb and early March.  That's the third outbreak in Colorado that clearly has community spread.  The other two are in Eagle County near Vail and in Aspen.

I expect Utah skiing to be shut down by morning too.  Alta has suspended operations.  Deer Valley and Solitude are closed since they are owned by Alterra.  Utah has community spread evidence in Park City.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2020
3,246 posts

MitchSH wrote:

Does that leave Seven Springs as the only option for Sunday?

Haven't been paying attention to PA.  But this article about a ski club that skied in northern Italy in Feb makes me wonder.  They weren't tested after they returned since no one had symptoms.

Feb. 26, 2020, Erie News

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41822158/story-of-local-skiers-in-northern-italy-before-known-covid19-outbreak-raises-questions

Vermont
March 15, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Killington is closed thru the 22nd which happens to be the day we are heading back up to ski, I imagine no skiers should help preserve the snow better until then, if anyone else is up for going .

bob
March 15, 2020
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

As stated upthread, many areas have stated they are closed thu the 22nd - implying that there is hope for reopening on the 23rd.

For that to happen, there would have to be a major reversal in the spread of coronavirus -- in the next 6 days.

Does anyone  realistically think that is likely?

JohnL
March 15, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

bob wrote:

As stated upthread, many areas have stated they are closed thu the 22nd - implying that there is hope for reopening on the 23rd.

For that to happen, there would have to be a major reversal in the spread of coronavirus -- in the next 6 days.

Does anyone  realistically think that is likely?

No. Maybe ABasin, Loveland and Snowbird by mid/late April.

They are just hedging their bets. And with more time and data, they'll be able to make a less rushed decision.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Still open resorts today appear to be putting the $$ ahead of customer/employee safety.  Either you need to close for safety or not! Hopefully the economic impact on closed/still to close resorts will be partially offset by government emergency crisis payments!

Arrive2Defy
March 15, 2020
Member since 01/18/2020 🔗
6 posts

I can’t help but to think that community spread is really only due to everything on resort but the slopes themselves! Whos ready to do some hiking?

The19thHole
March 15, 2020
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

They're moving all the snow at the bottom of Snowshoe's Ballhooter lift away from the bottom of the lift today, presumably in preparation of the spring melt and coming summer operations. 

So that's it for sure at Snowshoe....not likely to be a surprise opening in a couple of weeks.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2020
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

All 3 Laurel Highlands resorts open today (Sunday). With the 3" of snow we received last night conditions are not bad. There was a decent crowd today at HV. As long as you stay out of the ski lodge, it would seem to be a safe activity. I know HV will be closed mid-week. Given the weather predicted for mid-week, and the virus issue, not sure what will be open next weekend.

Crush
March 15, 2020
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

JohnL wrote:

See other thread. http://www.dcski.com/forum/99416

Means WT/Liberty/RT/Snowshoe.

I was 50-50 hitting Liberty tmw.

yep - everything around me including Sqaw/Alpine and my own Diamond Peak are closed or are closing tomorrow; Diamond Peak started limiting lift tickets and they reached their maximum just an hour ago - but damn we have a big 12-18 inch dump so I guess we will go out on a good note. I did some laps around our place using my friends drone . Handled well in 15-25 knot winds and blizzard conditions - I could not see a damn thing on the vision system on the second lap at one point and my rotor power was almost out so I had to kill the video to save power just to get back but still precious timing ... gonna be awesome for back country guys.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17dKAqiGUDEUBTQyJsi3l01fpl4I-oylx/view

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

$$ over public safety. How did 7Springs maintain the "required" 6+ feet between individuals in the lift line and on the lifts?!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2020
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

$$ over public safety. How did 7Springs maintain the "required" 6+ feet between individuals in the lift line and on the lifts?!

Seems fairly clear that one reason VR and Alterra shut down abruptly was that the crowds were growing as schools were closed and people were told to work from home.  The pictures and stories from March 14 were not good.  I saw some from Mt. Snow and Tremblant.  W-B lines were long as well.

https://vtskiandride.com/how-the-resort-closings-happened/

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Seven Springs operated 1 day longer then Ikon or Epic resorts. They are now closed and I will be surprised if they reopen next weekend. If they do I know I will not be going. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.