This Monday -- Timberline or Elk and Why?
14 posts
8 users
2k+ views
BaltoBill
January 13, 2021
Member since 02/24/2014 🔗
23 posts

Hi all,

At least from looking at the Trial Maps, Timberline and Elk seem somewhat similar in size and both are about the same distance from Baltimore.  If Timberline had great snow right now, this would be an easy decision for me due to potential glades and the new high speed lift, but, all in all, for those of you who've skied both, which mountain do you prefer and why?  I'm a good intermediate skier and would ski the blues and blacks on both mountains -- my kids would do the double blacks.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Are you aware of the PA travel restrictions?  That's a big factor for any trip from DC/Baltimore this winter.

Assuming the harder trails are open, I think your kids would like Timberline terrain more.

From a driving standpoint, going from Baltimore up to Scranton is an easier drive than heading west to Davis, WV.

BaltoBill
January 13, 2021
23 posts
Thank you -- I wasn't aware of the restrictions -- we've been going to Whitetail TBH and haven't had any issues -- I thought all states adjacent to MD were allowed for travel.
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2021
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

I have been to both in different years.  

Elk - visited early season.  Its my favorite in NE PA.  I think of Elk as "mini Tremblant" because of the view and few trails remind me of Tremblant.  Downside is it's got slow lifts and can get cold riding on slow lifts.  Parking can be tricky.  You don't get to park on the "top" level near slopes if not a passholder.  You need to ride a wagon to get to base area.  I don't know how they are handling it this season.  I have Sprint for cell service and use Waze for navigation.  On my way to Elk, I did not have cell coverage for good half hour and there was few "T" intersections that I needed to turn.  I almost made wrong turns and got lost.  If you do go there, consider bringing your GPS for navigation as a back up.  If no GPS, download route / map in advance.  

There is no slope side lodging. I stayed in city of Clarks Summit.  I believe that is one of the closest city to Elk, about 40 mins to Elk. 

T'line - visited late season when it was the old owner.   It was very warm that time and there were only 3 trails skiable, including Salamander and White Lightning.  I heard many good things about T'line since the change of ownership and plan to visit there in Feb.  No slope side lodging (yet).  Closest town is Davis, ~20 mins from T'line.  If you do go T'line, you can consider visiting Canaan Valley as well, since it is literally "next door".  You can use Davis as a base.  

erdz
January 13, 2021
Member since 07/17/2016 🔗
6 posts

Just skied Timberline today. About the best snow I have ever skied on in the east! (really). Perfect grooming and snow quality. 

Dafixison
January 13, 2021 (edited January 13, 2021)
Member since 01/30/2020 🔗
36 posts
Elk Mountain hands down.  Aside from the slow lifts, I think that Elk Mountain has an edge over Timberline in every categories if your driving time is the same.  Elk's Blue and Black trails feel like big mountain runs with little to no run out/plateauing.  Top to bottom runs are really fun at Elk.  As a bonus, the skiers at Elk tend to be more skilled, chilled, and less reckless.  
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I went to T-Line in 2013 and Elk in 2020. There was a few inches of powder snowing during the day, so it was in similar conditions both times.

I felt like T-line had steeper runs. I really liked Elk though, it was overwhelmingly skiers as opposed to snowboarders and seemed pretty well run. T-line wasn't then and finally has the reinvestment I was hoping for 8 years ago.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts
If you do decide to drive to Timberline, I think the better route from Baltimore would be to take I-70 to I-81 to US48.  Definitely better to avoid DC.  US48 is 4-lane pretty far into WV, although it doesn't quite get to Davis.
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I just saw on the SkiPa Facebook page that Elk has 25 of 27 slopes open. PA has COVID restrictions though

Also, on Wednesday lift tickets are $35 with a current college ID. I remember when it used to be $10 with student ID. I must be getting old. I blew it not taking advantage of those cheap lift tickets more often.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Go to TLM. Stay at the nice fairly new Canaan Valley Lodge at the state park of same name just up the road from Timberline. Lots to do there: ice skating, tubing, swimming, wild life watching, skiing (although I prefer TLM) etc.

The Colonel

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

marzNC wrote:

If you do decide to drive to Timberline, I think the better route from Baltimore would be to take I-70 to I-81 to US48.  Definitely better to avoid DC.  US48 is 4-lane pretty far into WV, although it doesn't quite get to Davis. 

Gets as close as it is going to get, really close!!

Watch your speed in wV, especially from VA border to to just past Wardensville!!!

BaltoBill
January 19, 2021
23 posts

I just posted about my trip to Elk in the MLK Jr. weekend recap page.  I chose Elk and I appreciate all the advice.  Waiting for Timberline to have more runs open and then I will get there as well.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and to Scott -- I really appreciate this forum!

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

BaltoBill wrote:

I just posted about my trip to Elk in the MLK Jr. weekend recap page.  I chose Elk and I appreciate all the advice.  Waiting for Timberline to have more runs open and then I will get there as well.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and to Scott -- I really appreciate this forum!

BaltoBill,

Glad that your family's visit to Elk last weekend turned out so well!

Your thread started an informative discussion about the two areas that provide IMHO some of the best skiing terrain in the Mid-Atlantic.  I've skied them both for about 15 years, but I manage only a visit or two (if that) per season because of the distance from Virginia's Shenandoah Valley where I live.  Corridor H has now cut the time to T-line and CV dramatically, but Elk remains a 4.5-hour haul. 

Timberline has its fans here at DCSki, and I number myself among them - especially this year.  I hope that more people from this forum will get to Elk as well.  While Elk lacks the glades and steep-steeps that Timberline provides, the evergreen trees, relative isolation, and distinctive vibes of both ski areas are truly special.

Thanks for the discussion, and for the Elk report you made on the MLK Day thread.  

Woody

BaltoBill
January 20, 2021
23 posts

Thanks Woody for the nice comment. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.