Blue Knob on Monday?
31 posts
16 users
4k+ views
AbuEllie
January 30, 2021
Member since 01/30/2021 🔗
4 posts
I'm taking a "sick day" Monday to take advantage of the storm. I'll be day-tripping from DC and had been thinking of Timberline or Whitetail, but Blue Knob caught my eye. Has anyone been there recently/have an opinion on whether it might be a better option? Looks the forecast is roughly the same for all three places.
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
If you ever want to ski Blue Knob, right after a storm would the the time. The reputation is that it's icy and the one time I went there, I confirmed it. Thankfully, we had a little snow during the day and even the inch or so we had made a big difference. I really liked it overall, plus they have Stembogan Bowl which is unique to the Mid-A.
skithealleghenies
February 1, 2021
Member since 01/22/2017 🔗
25 posts
For those who have been before, how are the weekend (Friday-Sunday) crowds at Blue Knob compared to other resorts in the area (Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Wisp, etc.)? I also am considering making a trip there soon if they are able to get Stembogan Bowl open. It would be my first time.
dinozaur
February 1, 2021 (edited February 1, 2021)
Member since 02/1/2014 🔗
15 posts

IF trails like Stembogan Bowl, Ditch Glades, or Extrovert are open then it is some fantastic skiing. Expert skiing at Blue Knob is leagues above what you find at Whitetail.

However, you might never know if those trails are open. Blue Knob updates their website very inconsistently if at all.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 1, 2021
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Typically over the last 20+ years Blue Knob has been far less crowded at all times than resorts closer to DC and Baltimore.  This is not a typical year and I haven't been up there this year, but I'd still expect them to have lighter crowds than most places on weekends and very light crowds on weekdays.  Fresh snow will bring folks out, but nothing like Liberty, Whitetail, etc.
camp
February 1, 2021 (edited February 1, 2021)
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

skithealleghenies wrote:

For those who have been before, how are the weekend (Friday-Sunday) crowds at Blue Knob compared to other resorts in the area 

Very small crowds. I went 4 days recently, all on weekends and MLK Day. MLK Sunday was crowded by BK standards only because they didn't have the lift at the bottom open, since those trails weren't open. Bottom opened the next weekend and lines back to normal, which is almost non-existent.

Probably headed there tomorrow and expect its close to 100%. Probably Extrovert would be the only trail not open. 

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

JimK wrote:

Typically over the last 20+ years Blue Knob has been far less crowded at all times than resorts closer to DC and Baltimore.  This is not a typical year and I haven't been up there this year, but I'd still expect them to have lighter crowds than most places on weekends and very light crowds on weekdays.  Fresh snow will bring folks out, but nothing like Liberty, Whitetail, etc.

I've skied Blue Knob once -- 2012. It was the least crowded Saturday I've ever had anywhere. It worked out well for my friend and I of course.

It is kind of isolated from any major population centers -- the Laurel Highlands are closer to Pittsburgh and a bunch of other places are closer to DC and Baltimore. My perception was that the goal was to more to sell vacation homes than be a day trip destination. In spite of Peter Graves best efforts, that didn't happen.

Blue Knob was a lot of fun, even with maybe 12 runs open. They probably said it was 16 or 18, but they inflate their number of trails.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
So this happened:  I went to BK for the first time about 7 years ago.  It was a Saturday, Prez Weekend, snow everywhere, mountain was 100% open, and when I got there I parked right by the lodge and there were hardly any lift lines.  I was so confused (maybe it helped that the access road was sorta dicey).  The next day I went to Whitetail.  It was like Disney World at Spring Break.  I got there mid-morning and the parking lot was full- I had to park at the Golf Course and took the employee shuttle over to the mountain.  While I was in the van I overheard on the radio they had actually run out of rental equipment and the lot attendants should tell people to go away.  True story.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 1, 2021
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Believe it or not, back in the 1970s and 80s that's the way it was at Blue Knob too.  I can remember lines at the bottom of the double chairs snaking halfway to where the base of the triple is now.  They would take an hour to wait through.  This was on many prime Sat and Sundays for much of the season.

RodneyBD wrote:

So this happened:  I went to BK for the first time about 7 years ago.  It was a Saturday, Prez Weekend, snow everywhere, mountain was 100% open, and when I got there I parked right by the lodge and there were hardly any lift lines.  I was so confused (maybe it helped that the access road was sorta dicey).  The next day I went to Whitetail.  It was like Disney World at Spring Break.  I got there mid-morning and the parking lot was full- I had to park at the Golf Course and took the employee shuttle over to the mountain.  While I was in the van I overheard on the radio they had actually run out of rental equipment and the lot attendants should tell people to go away.  True story.
bob
February 1, 2021
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

My favorite Blue Knob day started with a drive from Parkton. Light rain the whole way. Got to the access road and it was still raining. I'm thinking "this is a mistake ," but kept up the drive to the top -- were it was snowing heavily. Skied all day. It snowed all day. I think we ended up with about 8 inches. Stembogen was heaven.

When I lived in MD, my nights belonged to Roundtop, but my weekends belonged to Blue Knob.

BaltoBill
February 3, 2021
Member since 02/24/2014 🔗
23 posts

Has anyone been to Blue Knob in the past few days?  I read today they have 33 of 34 trails open and that they got over one foot of snow. Planning on going on Sunday. 

camp
February 3, 2021
660 posts

BaltoBill wrote:

Has anyone been to Blue Knob in the past few days?  

I went yesterday and put a couple pics in the Laurels thread. They did get about a foot. There was light powder to ski and there was always ice lurking beneath. The only run not open was Ditch Glades, which is usually the last to open. More potential weather Friday and Sunday.

BaltoBill
February 3, 2021
23 posts
Thanks so much for the update -- I will look in the Laurel thread.  Why is Blue Knob always so icy -- does grooming help at all?
camp
February 3, 2021
660 posts

BaltoBill wrote:

Why is Blue Knob always so icy -- does grooming help at all?

Grooming would help, but they don't have much equipment or staff. And I guess they never have in the 40 yrs I've been going there.  BK is more of your non-grooming, ski it if you can kinda place. Once it is hard ice, any new snow often gets wind scoured and blown into the woods. Yesterday the winds picked up late in the day and and blew snow "onto" some trails and made those trails better than they were in the morning.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

They cannot/will not groom down to the dirt so there will always be an ice base here in the Mid-A. An ice base is better than a dirt and rock base. Natural snow trails are seldom groomed if ever because the snow depth is usually less than the depth of the grooming machine's tiller. I think Extrovert and Lower High Hopes are natural snow cover this year and has been the last few years. They have snowmaking infrastructure but you will have to ask someone else why it hasn't been put to use.

BaltoBill wrote:

Thanks so much for the update -- I will look in the Laurel thread.  Why is Blue Knob always so icy -- does grooming help at all?
GGNagy
February 3, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Old school "Eastern Hardpack"

With limited resources, BK does not want to do too much to what base they have/get, particularly in the natural snow areas. Look at some of the other areas, and now much base they build up for the "modern" groomed trails. 

It has been a spit and bailing wire operation there for a long long time, but at least we still have the great ski area. I remember that long ago, DCSki had a character that was forever predicting the imminent demise of Blue Knob and the horrible snowmaking ponds.  

BaltoBill wrote:

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2021
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
In the good old days they would put every gun they had on Extrovert in mid February after the rest of the mountain was in good shape, groom it once, then let nature and skiers take their course.  The bumps would get huge, just in time for spring skiing.  It was great.
skithealleghenies
February 3, 2021
25 posts
Thanks, everyone, for providing insight on the crowd sizes. It looks like BK has almost 100% of its terrain open right now, however (not surprisingly) most of the terrain is ungroomed. My dad and I were thinking about making the trip up at some point this weekend. It would be the first time for both of us. We are more advanced level skiers, but my dad doesn't enjoy ungroomed trails as much as I do. So I guess my next question would be, several days after a big storm, do most trails at BK have moguls on them, will the trails be tracked out and icy, etc.? Basically I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect this weekend before we make the drive out there. BK definitely seems different than most Mid-Atlantic resorts. So if any Blue Knob experts or locals want to weigh in on what they think it may be like up there on a weekend such as this upcoming one, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
camp
February 3, 2021
660 posts

skithealleghenies wrote:

......several days after a big storm, do most trails at BK have moguls on them, will the trails be tracked out and icy, etc.? Basically I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect this weekend before we make the drive out there. BK definitely seems different than most Mid-Atlantic resorts. So if any Blue Knob experts or locals want to weigh in on what they think it may be like up there on a weekend such as this upcoming one, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

BK is certainly different than most Mid-A hills. I think very important to go as soon after a weekday snow as possible, or go on a warm sunny Spring day. I've really only seen Route 66 fully moguled and left alone. Extrovert, Edgeset and some other trails get bumpy because there's only a line or two in spots, and some are double fall line challenging. Others like Deer Run do get groomed out. It will definitely be icy unless fresh or warm.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

skithealleghenies wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for providing insight on the crowd sizes. It looks like BK has almost 100% of its terrain open right now, however (not surprisingly) most of the terrain is ungroomed. My dad and I were thinking about making the trip up at some point this weekend. It would be the first time for both of us. We are more advanced level skiers, but my dad doesn't enjoy ungroomed trails as much as I do. So I guess my next question would be, several days after a big storm, do most trails at BK have moguls on them, will the trails be tracked out and icy, etc.? Basically I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect this weekend before we make the drive out there. BK definitely seems different than most Mid-Atlantic resorts. So if any Blue Knob experts or locals want to weigh in on what they think it may be like up there on a weekend such as this upcoming one, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

The first time I went to BK was for a DCSki Gathering long weekend a while ago.  I was just starting to ski ungroomed terrain.  Had a very good time.  Even for Stembogan, it's easy to take a route that has relatively few big bumps.  I had a very good time on the groomers.  Fully appreciated not having much of a lift line on a weekend.

skithealleghenies
February 5, 2021
25 posts
Looks like Blue Knob picked up an additional inch last night from the little system that went through. Anyone up there today (or the last couple days) that could report on current conditions, particularly on the natural snow trails? Since its been several days since the storm, I'm hoping it's not too icy, but based off others who have more knowledge of the resort it seems like that could be the case.
AbuEllie
February 5, 2021
Member since 01/30/2021 🔗
4 posts
Ironically I ended up neither skiing Monday nor going to Blue Knob. I hit up Whitetail on Tuesday and it was glorious. Best snow I've skied in the mid-Atlantic by quite a bit. Still really hoping to experience Blue Knob before the season is out, though.
camp
February 5, 2021
660 posts

skithealleghenies wrote:

Anyone up there today (or the last couple days) that could report on current conditions, particularly on the natural snow trails?

I'm not there, so grain of salt. I was there on Tuesday.

I would expect all natural snow ungroomed trails to be solid ice and bumps this weekend. No new snow to cover them, no warm sun to soften them.

skithealleghenies
February 5, 2021 (edited February 5, 2021)
25 posts

camp wrote:

I would expect all natural snow ungroomed trails to be solid ice and bumps this weekend. No new snow to cover them, no warm sun to soften them.

Thank you for the insight. I'm about 2 and half hours away from BK and would love to ski it at its best with fresh/softer snow. I think I may pass this weekend and try again later in the season, hopefully closer to another large snowfall or when things start to soften up with some warmer temps. 

dwm8a
February 6, 2021
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts
Following this too. I’d like to try and get a day in at BK this year if possible. 
Cole53
February 8, 2021
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
17 posts
Blue Knob finally started blowing snow of Stembogen. It has been very thin lately. 
BaltoBill
February 8, 2021
23 posts
I was there on Sunday -- the snow was great although some areas were a little sparse (such as the part of Stemboggen closer to the access trail and part of the field).  But there was a lot of good snow particularly in the trees (which my kids did instead of me).  Well worth the trip.
dwm8a
February 9, 2021
55 posts
Anybody who's been to BK this year - what's the process like for picking up lift tickets ordered online? I assume there's an outdoor window but want to confirm.
camp
February 9, 2021
660 posts

dwm8a wrote:

Anybody who's been to BK this year - what's the process like for picking up lift tickets ordered online? I assume there's an outdoor window but want to confirm.

Same ol' window inside, with new "stand here" marks on the floor.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

camp wrote:

dwm8a wrote:

Same ol' window inside, with new "stand here" marks on the floor.

Any updates on COVID-related procedures (including masking by employees) and visitor compliance rates at Blue Knob?  What about options for avoiding non-maskers if you ski on a weekday?

Hoping to find a low-cost COVID test, so I can be eligible to make a day trip to BK after sequestering.  However, I don't want to risk undue exp[osure while there.

Woody

dwm8a
February 21, 2021
55 posts

I went on President’s Day. Minimal lift lines and most everyone was masked. I rode the lift solo every time. Lifties didn’t really have anything to enforce.

You have to go inside to get a lift ticket, though. Because I had to go inside to get my ticket, I changed clothes inside too and saw a few maskless people in the bathroom/lockerroom. Avoidable, if you change at your car (I ate lunch at the car).

I got a test at One Medical on Friday afternoon, and they emailed me with the results Sunday afternoon, so I was good to go for Monday. Nobody asked me about it when I was in Pa from roughly 9am-4pm.

Terrain wise, I enjoyed Stembogen Bowl and the run under the lift line at the bottom. Extrovert was fun but thin in many spots. Cover was too thin to do much in the trees, but folks were trying. 

I would go back, and would consider going on a weekend, if the (lack of) crowd on Pres Day is a good guide for what to expect on a weekend.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.