Unbuilt Ski Areas or Unbuilt Expansions
34 posts
22 users
8k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021 (edited March 7, 2021)
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Thanks to Wyfurasko for this suggested subject. I am going to start this off with a historic resort, bought by former American Skiing Company CEO, Les Otten. They proposes to make this modest ski area with a historic hotel in Dixville Notch, NH the largest ski resort, by far, on the east coast. So far, this plan has essentially gone no where. Here is a link to Les's sales job:

THE VISION | The Balsams Resort

The ski area video is below....

https://thebalsamsresort.com/balsams-ski-area-expansion-fly-over/

I am hoping that many of you will find and post about others, both local and national. I think this could be interesting.

GGNagy
March 7, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

In before the first MPC post. :)

There is at least one unfinished mountain on the Lost Ski list, Tory Mt.

GGNagy
March 7, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Lost expansions I can think of. 

• Great western expansion at Seven Springs
  • The Rt 31 slopes from the Buncher era at Hidden Valley. 
  • There was a master plan for expansion skiers right at Blue Knob. I thinnk JimK wrote about it, or mentioned it in an interview/article, iirc. 
  • Hawthorne (sic) pod at Snowshoe (or was that built, used and abandoned?)
  • Was there ever real plans for a back side at Whitetail, or was that all hype? 
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 7, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Whitetail used to have a map inside the lodge that showed plans for future expansion, showing trails on the other side of the mountain. It disappeared around the time that they got out of the real estate business, if I recall correctly. Seems pretty unlikely to happen now. 
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
camp
March 7, 2021
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Scott wrote:

Whitetail used to have a map inside ..

28516848_2037572612937797_6637108971890978234_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2L2LoachRhYAX_e0xN_&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&tp=6&oh=199bbb307131fa57134317cb20e2a3a5&oe=606BA930

Scott - DCSki Editor
March 7, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Nice!  I spent a few minutes searching the Internet for a photo of the map but couldn't find it.  Thanks for sharing.
March 7, 2021
1,576 posts
I believe when Whitetail was first introduced,they indicated that the ultimate build out would include 49 trails.
March 7, 2021
1,576 posts

This Blue Knob promo circa 1982, narrated by none other than Peter Graves is a classic.

m.youtube.com

This video is a must for all Blue Knob fans. This was someone’s pipe dream.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

snowsmith wrote:

This Blue Knob promo circa 1982, narrated by none other than Peter Graves is a classic.

m.youtube.com

This video is a must for all Blue Knob fans. This was someone’s pipe dream.

The Blue Knob video is so much better than the Beech Mtn. video. I have both up.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Camp,

That is one cool map of the projected build-out of Whitetail! 

Here on DCSki we’ve had a couple of discussions about WT expansion, mostly focused on potential steeps on the N and NW sides of the ridge.  Seemed too steep, and terribly wind-exposed iirc.

A fun summertime exercise would be to walk up the road across from WT and mentally sketch where all the trails on your map would run.

Thanks for posting.

Woody

March 7, 2021
778 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

This Blue Knob promo circa 1982, narrated by none other than Peter Graves ...

The Blue Knob video is so much better than the Beech Mtn. video. I have both up.

Wow!  A great “period piece” promoting a new development at Blue Knob.

Fun viewing.  Thanks 😊

Woody

SkiHawthorne
March 8, 2021
Member since 07/27/2020 🔗
10 posts

I remember years ago, when Silver Creek was an independent resort, they had a paper mache rendering of their expansion plans in the lobby.  In addition to the expansion plan shown on their ski brochure from the same time period, this map showed a small trail pod off the backside of the mountain.  More importantly, it showed that trail pod connecting a larger trail pod with a significant vertical drop going up another peak.

I wonder what happened to this rendering and if Alterra ever plans to build-out more terrain at Silver Creek? 

Laurel Highlands
March 8, 2021
Member since 10/29/2013 🔗
54 posts

No such thread on unbuilt ski areas would be complete without mentioning the ambitious plans for Tory Mtn WVa.  In this case they actually did start  some work cutting trails:  1980's brochures  and newspaper articles assured investors told upcoming opening and construction ,with  1,100 feet of vertical. Plans called for an 18th century-themed village, complete with shopping, pubs, and  an impressive 300-room Hotel.  Getting infrastructure to the location was an issue and the cost of developing utilities was said to be the death of the plans; 

dcski.com

skisoutheast.com

Cole53
March 8, 2021
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
17 posts

1615247335_rbdstrfendbj.jpg

Here is the Silver creek proposal from the 80's.

madspark
March 9, 2021
Member since 03/15/2017 🔗
1 posts
The lift line underneath the chairlift to the top of Massanutten is graded and cleared of rocks like a ski trail. Was it originally planned to be a run?
March 9, 2021
778 posts

madspark wrote:

The lift line underneath the chairlift to the top of Massanutten is graded and cleared of rocks like a ski trail. Was it originally planned to be a run?

Good point, madspark.  And didn’t we have a recent discussion here - in the past few months - about another run or two proposed for looker’s right off the black chair?

The limiting factor here might be return on dollars.  Would the benefits of another run or two offset the costs of their construction and, especially, the ongoing expenses of snowmaking, grooming, patrolling, and so forth?

Woody

wgo
March 9, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I've daydreamed about the line under that chair for years.  But given the snow challenged environment of Virginia you would need snowmaking, and snowmaking on a run right under the lift would be difficult to do without icing up the chairs. At least that is what I have heard from others.
SkiHawthorne
March 9, 2021
Member since 07/27/2020 🔗
10 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

madspark wrote:

Good point, madspark.  And didn’t we have a recent discussion here - in the past few months - about another run or two proposed for looker’s right off the black chair?

The limiting factor here might be return on dollars.  Would the benefits of another run or two offset the costs of their construction and, especially, the ongoing expenses of snowmaking, grooming, patrolling, and so forth?

Woody

I used to teach at Massanutten.  We would talk endlessly about a run under the chair as well as other runs to looker's right off Lift 6.  I was told the challenge to cutting more runs was always sun exposure in that area.  We did ski that line under Lift 6 a handful of times in the 90s after big storm cycles, and it would be nice to see it turn into something skiable even if snowmaking made the ride up less pleasant.   

wgo
March 9, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

+1 

SkiHawthorne wrote:

We did ski that line under Lift 6 a handful of times in the 90s after big storm cycles, and it would be nice to see it turn into something skiable even if snowmaking made the ride up less pleasant.   

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

SkiHawthorne wrote:

I used to teach at Massanutten.  We would talk endlessly about a run under the chair as well as other runs to looker's right off Lift 6.  I was told the challenge to cutting more runs was always sun exposure in that area.  We did ski that line under Lift 6 a handful of times in the 90s after big storm cycles, and it would be nice to see it turn into something skiable even if snowmaking made the ride up less pleasant.   

A story from this season after the big snowstorm when I was riding up Lift 6 with a tween and a friend.  Tween had gotten distracted and dropped a pole when we loaded.  Ended up being handed to a patroller who was a couple chairs behind us.  As we're about half way up, there is a snowboarder working his way down under the lift.  It had warmed up enough that there was a pretty solid surface, so he was being pretty careful and stopping after every turn or two.  As I turned around to follow his progress, I saw the patroller reach for his radio.

From the comments I could catch, pretty sure ski patrol didn't catch up with the boarder.  We had fun trying to see the tracks on the next ride up.

Only other time I've seen tracks under Lift 6 was after the blizzard in February 2010.

1615342417_cdvnayqzswhv.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

The "new" terrain at Mnut this season was the short section under Lift 5 that starts at the cross-over to Upper MakAttack from Upper Showtime.  Ends at mid station.  There was a Expert sign at the top.  The instructors were thoroughly enjoying those bumps while they lasted.

Keith_Moon
March 10, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
Before COVID hit, wasn't there talk of Snowshoe adding a blue run to the Western Territory?
rbrtlav
March 11, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Before COVID hit, wasn't there talk of Snowshoe adding a blue run to the Western Territory?

Pending covid snowshoe has a UCI event in September. (last one was amazing, hoping this year actually happens) Depending on what the route of this trail is that even may make large construction difficult, but it will also make the resort a ton of $$$.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

And another run served by Soaring Eagle?  

Keith_Moon wrote:

Mongo
March 13, 2021
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

Cole53 wrote:

Looks like the plan was to build lodging and parking at the bottom of the mountain rather than up top where Silver Creek Lodge is. Interesting!

I was just looking at some old dcski posts about Snowshoe. I did not realize that Soaring Eagle lift and a couple of trails were added in 2006. I had been to SS in the early 2000s but didn’t come back for about ten years (kids, etc.) and forgot about the old Widowmaker lift.

I still don’t know why, when they added Grabhammer in the mid 1980s, they didn’t have it go “one more pole” all the way up to the village...

kwillg6
April 18, 2021 (edited April 18, 2021)
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Laurel Highlands wrote:

No such thread on unbuilt ski areas would be complete without mentioning the ambitious plans for Tory Mtn WVa.  In this case they actually did start  some work cutting trails:  1980's brochures  and newspaper articles assured investors told upcoming opening and construction ,with  1,100 feet of vertical. Plans called for an 18th century-themed village, complete with shopping, pubs, and  an impressive 300-room Hotel.  Getting infrastructure to the location was an issue and the cost of developing utilities was said to be the death of the plans; 

dcski.com skisoutheast.com

The Snow Sports Museum of West Virginia has been working on an exhibit for the future of the lost ski areas of West Virginia.   We have gathered info on Tory, Laurel Creek, Terra Alta, Chestnut Ridge, Almost Heaven, and the drift on Cabin Mountain.  Still looking to find info on Bald Knob and a few others like Coonskin.  The stories behind most of these are fascinating.  We will announce when we have that exhibit ready.  Currently, our opening exhibit is called "Cabin Mountain, six ski areas from Driftland to Timberline."  It was SCWDC that started skiing in WV at the south western most point in the valley.  Then it was Bob Barton and his Weiss Knob I ski area at what is now called the meadows at CVR in 56.  He moved Weiss Knob to the current site of Whitegrass because the snow was better there or so he said.  The state opened CVR ski area in 71 and Timberline was opened in 81 By David Downs with a tow rope to mid station and snow cat skiing from the top.  The Herz's bought it in 86 and installed the infamous triple in 87. They later installed the beginner double and the silver queen double.  Technically, Timberline was a lost ski area for almost two seasons before it's purchase by Perfect North.  

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 19, 2021 (edited April 19, 2021)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Widowmaker was a much better name - I still refer to it that way, and its a good slope since they seem to leave a wide path under the lift ungroomed.   I always liked that Silver Creek map though it definitely exaggerates the vertical quite a bit, but I like that its a lot more north facing than the rest of the shoe.

Mongo wrote:

Cole53 wrote:

Looks like the plan was to build lodging and parking at the bottom of the mountain rather than up top where Silver Creek Lodge is. Interesting!

I was just looking at some old dcski posts about Snowshoe. I did not realize that Soaring Eagle lift and a couple of trails were added in 2006. I had been to SS in the early 2000s but didn’t come back for about ten years (kids, etc.) and forgot about the old Widowmaker lift.

I still don’t know why, when they added Grabhammer in the mid 1980s, they didn’t have it go “one more pole” all the way up to the village...

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Here are some details of Urban Ski Inc.'s proposed development of Laurel Mountain from the mid-1990s.

1619040691_lloflotyhdux.jpg

1619040832_cwbfrbgetsin.jpg

1619040900_ajyktiialwhc.jpg

April 25, 2021
1,576 posts
The $16.5 mil cost is probably why this venture went no where. Too bad.
April 25, 2021
1,576 posts
Has anyone ever seen a trail layout for Seven Springs Western Territory expansion? Not that it will ever happen with Beancounter Mauch in charge.
GGNagy
April 25, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

I have not, but here is one really old dcski post with speculation. Seven Springs Expansion Speculation (long)

I have known for a long time that the cut slope they reference is easily visible on google earth and goes back to the 2005 timeframe in the time machine. It is in fact the area just below Great Western trail (naturally). There had also been a clearing attempt at some point beneath a lake/pond that seems to be the source for Neals Run.

snowsmith wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a trail layout for Seven Springs Western Territory expansion? Not that it will ever happen with Beancounter Mauch in charge.
danimals
January 4, 2022
Member since 03/19/2019 🔗
18 posts
Do you still have that photo? It looks like the link to it is broken. 
BaySailor - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2022
Member since 03/7/2021 🔗
17 posts

Camp / Scott,

I know this is nearly a year old thread but any chance you have the old Whitetail expansion photo you posted back then?  It looks like the link has expired.  Thanks!

camp wrote:

Scott wrote:

Whitetail used to have a map inside ..

28516848_2037572612937797_6637108971890978234_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2L2LoachRhYAX_e0xN_&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&tp=6&oh=199bbb307131fa57134317cb20e2a3a5&oe=606BA930

VASki
January 13, 2022
Member since 02/26/2016 🔗
8 posts
Liberty had plans (I think before the Peak purchase) for a new lift between the Dipsy Quad and the Alpine Quad. We were told they bought one from another resort and that it was on site awaiting permitting before going up. I think it was on their website as a future improvement back then. Has Vail scrapped that idea?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.