Canaan Valley realtor rec?
7 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Sarabeth
August 3, 2021
Member since 07/29/2021 🔗
2 posts

My husband and I are strongly considering buying a second house in the Canaan Valley area.  We are mostly XC skiers, so we don't need to be next door to any of the resorts; but we do need a good realtor to help us out.  I would love any recommendations y'all might have - feel free to send a message if that's easier. 

I know everything's kind of overpriced right now, but we've been wanting to do this for years and for various reasons couldn't do so until this summer.  We'd like to go ahead and buy, but we also want a realtor who will be realistic with us when something's WAY overpriced, rather than just slightly so. 

We do anticipate renting out whatever we buy, at least part of the time, if that's relevant.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 4, 2021 (edited August 4, 2021)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Mark Haverty at Mountaintop Realty.

The market is a complete mess right now. Some properties are listing close to 300% higher than a few years ago. But then again, new investments in the resort have been a complete game changer. We are definitely in a different paradigm now as compared to a few years back when Timberline briefly became a lost resort.  Anything when an easy drive of Timberline will have seen big gains. Lots can still be purchased but the wait times for builders can be 2+ years. 

Sarabeth
August 4, 2021
Member since 07/29/2021 🔗
2 posts
Thanks!  And yes, it's a mess.  I really wish we'd been able to buy two years ago, when we first started casually looking.  But there was a significant chance that my job was going to get transferred across the country, and we needed to wait until we knew for sure whether that was going to happen.  It didn't, so now we are ready to buy...but unfortunately so is everyone else!
jonjon1
August 5, 2021
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts

Amy Barb

Best of Canaan Realty

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 6, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

jonjon1 wrote:

Amy Barb

Best of Canaan Realty

Amy is very good as well. I did not realize she is still in the valley. She was my buyer’s broker—a very professional agent.

Rickh
August 10, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Amy Barb - owns Best of Canaan Realty now.

bestofcanaan.com

yellowsnow
August 24, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Amy Barb  Best of Canaan
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.