Timberline Upgrades for 2021/22
10 posts
4 users
1k+ views
mounthoya
20 days ago
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
6 posts
Good news from management today; they’ve been working all summer and doubled the snowmaking capacity from last year and completed the renovations on the lodge.   Bad news is that mountain biking likely won’t resume next Spring but they’re assessing.   Looking forward to another exceptional year as this owner has committed $$ to elevating the experience.  No news on coffee upgrades (sorry, had to broach) but hoping they can partner with local barista to up their offering.  Anyone else out there have thoughts on summer visit and activities for kids?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
20 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,544 posts
How was the mountain biking run in the summer?  Lift-served?  How many trails?  Did they have "bike patrol" in the same way that snowy slopes are monitored by ski patrol.
mounthoya
20 days ago
6 posts
No mountain biking this year; from what I understand, it hasn’t been offered for a few years.  Was hoping they’d resume next year.  Not sure of patrol
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
20 days ago
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,938 posts

mounthoya wrote:

Good news from management today; they’ve been working all summer and doubled the snowmaking capacity from last year

I’d like to see this confirmed in a press release. They have done a lot of work this summer replacing pipes, but I haven’t seen that many new guns on my various hikes around the mountain this summer. More guns yes but not double what we saw last season. In know the system will be much better this next season but double last year’s capacity sounds like a stretch.

Rickh
20 days ago (edited 20 days ago)
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
146 posts

From what I understand they added 30 new guns. The real upgrade was in the capacity to get water up the mountain. All the piping they added is where they see the gains in snow making capacity. The mid-mountain pumps where only run at 50% capacity last winter. With the added water they can run both pumps.

Yesterday they started digging a large trench up the mountain under the 6 pack? No idea, power? 

Also, they added several foundations for poles around the base next to all the snow guns. Questioning if its for lights, because there are power units right next to each as well.

We will see. 

mounthoya
19 days ago
6 posts
Let’s hope the trenches are for power — night skiing would be great.  Managment not the best at touting their success.  Selfishly I don’t mind as I like the smaller crowds. Some here in Arlington still have negative perception of TL given prior owner’s neglect/lack of investment and bankruptcy.  
Rickh
19 days ago
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
146 posts

Sshhh don't tell them. But, I do want the new owners to be successful. So I want them to bring there money and support this place. Last year was the best year on this mountain in over 10 years. 

mounthoya wrote:

Let’s hope the trenches are for power — night skiing would be great.  Managment not the best at touting their success.  Selfishly I don’t mind as I like the smaller crowds. Some here in Arlington still have negative perception of TL given prior owner’s neglect/lack of investment and bankruptcy.  
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,544 posts

Rickh wrote:

Sshhh don't tell them. But, I do want the new owners to be successful. So I want them to bring there money and support this place. Last year was the best year on this mountain in over 10 years. 

mounthoya wrote:

Last season I talked to a man from Ohio who got a discounted lift ticket to use during late season because he was a season pass holder at Perfect North.  So there was clearly marketing happening in Ohio to get people to make the drive east.

I get the sense that the Perfect family fit in the "under promise and over deliver" category of business owners.  So glad they bought Timberline.

The history of Perfect North has included plenty of upgrades over decades.  It's no longer linked on the homepage, but the webpage celebrating 40 years that has a timeline is still available.  Just noticed that snowboarding was not allowed for ten years in the 1990s and was added back for 2001-02.  They moved the terrain park before that season.  They doubled snowmaking capacity at Perfect North for the first time back in 1988-89 when day tickets were $15 and a season pass was $275.

Perfect North Timeline at 40th anniversary 2019-20

"Season 1, 1980-81

Construction began August of ‘80, and opened for the season on January 12, 1981. The lodge was built using old brick from Norwood Sash and Door in Cincinnati. Interior beams and siding were salvaged from local Indiana barns. PNS opened with 2 Stadeli cable tows and three rope tows on 150’ vertical drop. Snowmaking was done with 8 portable snowguns. 400 pairs of used rentals with Spademan bindings were in the basement rental shop. The tows and ski rentals were purchased from a defunct ski area in Tennessee. Weekday ticket: $7.00; rental: $7.00. Weekend ticket was $10.00 and rental $9.00. Hours: Monday through Thursday 10am – 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 9am – 12:30, and Sunday hours were 9:00am – 10:00pm. Total attendance for the season was 6200 visits. Closed for the season on March 8.""

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
19 days ago
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,938 posts

Last season was great despite average snowfall (120.8 inches) and above average thaw cycles:

data.canaanmtnsnow.com

TM did a great job recovering from thaws with the capacity they had last season. I can only dream of how better things will be next season and how much more terrain will be open by 25 December weather permitting. 

Hopefully, lifts will be loaded to capacity. That should ease lines at the 6-pack, which got quite long on Saturdays and long weekends. 20 minutes plus at times. I’d also like to see day tickets on weekends go up in price in attempt to lower crowds on those days. We will see. The owners are great as are the staff. 

Rickh
17 days ago
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
146 posts

So, looks like they finished up under the 6 pack by "grooming" the soil, yes they used a groomer to do it :-). My guess is as they added base last year the skiers taking off from the base were close to the snow. So, they lowered the land somewhat so they could keep base there.

Rickh wrote:

From what I understand they added 30 new guns. The real upgrade was in the capacity to get water up the mountain. All the piping they added is where they see the gains in snow making capacity. The mid-mountain pumps where only run at 50% capacity last winter. With the added water they can run both pumps.

Yesterday they started digging a large trench up the mountain under the 6 pack? No idea, power? 

Also, they added several foundations for poles around the base next to all the snow guns. Questioning if its for lights, because there are power units right next to each as well.

We will see. 

DCSki Sponsor: Massanutten Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.