Bryce on Monday
8 posts
3 users
1k+ views
wgo
January 15, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I've never been to Bryce, but I am considering heading there on Monday morning. Normally I would hit Massanutten but the forecast there is calling for some sleet to mix in with the snow for a few hours whereas the forecast for Bryce is calling for all snow. Is there any chance they will leave anything ungroomed? Are there any trees to poke around in?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
There is a very small second near the top of Bryce that could be called a "glade" but still only perhaps 6 turns.  Given the people who normally ski Bryce and have lodging there, I would guess that leaving a trail ungroomed wouldn't be that likely.  But I don't really have any idea.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2022
3,246 posts
It's possible that the slopes at Mnut won't get sleet even if that happens in the valley on US33.  FYI, I'm staying on the mountain this time.
wgo
January 15, 2022
1,666 posts
Gonna grab a 4 hour ticket for Mnut Monday morning and hope for the best. Plan is to be there for rope drop - hopefully there will be no delays in opening. Will check the road cams where 33 crosses skyline drive to see if it is cleared when I leave at 7:30, otherwise I guess it is rt 340 thru waynesboro.
wgo
January 15, 2022
1,666 posts

Good timing on your part!

marzNC wrote:

It's possible that the slopes at Mnut won't get sleet even if that happens in the valley on US33.  FYI, I'm staying on the mountain this time.
SKI-PSU
January 15, 2022
Member since 11/25/2019 🔗
19 posts
Heads up that the best case scenario at this stage is a snow/sleet mix. Highly likely that there will be a good deal of freezing rain mixed in at both resorts. This storm trended the wrong way for VA/MD/WV/PA resorts.
wgo
January 15, 2022
1,666 posts

Ah well. Good for base building in the trees at TM, maybe.

SKI-PSU wrote:

Heads up that the best case scenario at this stage is a snow/sleet mix. Highly likely that there will be a good deal of freezing rain mixed in at both resorts. This storm trended the wrong way for VA/MD/WV/PA resorts.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Good timing on your part!

marzNC wrote:

I'm at Mnut with my NC friend who has the best luck skiing in the snow.  She didn't decide she could make it this weekend until about a week ago.  Just about the time that snow and cold was definitely going to arrive in time for MLK weekend. :-)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?