Elk Mountain
14 posts
5 users
2k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Has anybody skied Elk Mountain in NEPA yet this season? I am planning on going there on Saturday and am curious how they are doing.

It looks like a good trail count, but I'm concerned the snowmaking conditions haven't been good. Looks like subzero temps at night.

SKI-PSU
January 18, 2022
Member since 11/25/2019 🔗
19 posts

Love Elk - I skied there for one weekend per year during college when we raced there. Great rolling terrain that spreads out over a fairly large hill. Vertical isn't amazing but they have a great variety of slopes with a good pitch. Plus they are in a very cold part of the state with decent natural snowfall.

That said - its a hike and in the middle of nowhere

January 18, 2022
353 posts

SKI-PSU wrote:

Love Elk - I skied there for one weekend per year during college when we raced there. Great rolling terrain that spreads out over a fairly large hill. Vertical isn't amazing but they have a great variety of slopes with a good pitch. Plus they are in a very cold part of the state with decent natural snowfall.

I go about halfway Friday night and then ride up with a Penn State friend from Hershey. Too hard to pull off in a day trip any more. I was really impressed in 2020 when I went. Next year, we're thinking of doing Montage Friday night, staying over and then hitting Elk on Saturday morning.

wgo
January 18, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Montage and Elk would be a solid combo for a weekend trip

wfyurasko wrote:

SKI-PSU wrote:

I go about halfway Friday night and then ride up with a Penn State friend from Hershey. Too hard to pull off in a day trip any more. I was really impressed in 2020 when I went. Next year, we're thinking of doing Montage Friday night, staying over and then hitting Elk on Saturday morning.

wojo
January 19, 2022
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

I have done several 3 day trips from DC, Liberty or RT on the way up, Elk on day two and Montage on day 3.  You can hit RT or Liberty on the way home for a nice four day excursion.  Lots of variety in the resorts in 3 or 4 day and in my experience the snow at Elk and Montage holds up well.  Lots of cheap hotels in Scranton :-).  You can also hit the bowling alley/bar from The Office for a few games, beers and dinner too.

wgo wrote:

Montage and Elk would be a solid combo for a weekend trip

wfyurasko wrote:

SKI-PSU wrote:

abeski
January 19, 2022
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts

I was there Sunday.  Snow surface was spectacular except far western/north trails were a bit slick.  It was very busy due to the best weather of the holiday weekend but I didnt wait more than 5min and they were not running the north double probably to preserve snow surface with not quite 100% open yet  (also the trails were still quite empty as usual). Elk has RFID so if you go the online route you can skip the ticket line and lodge shuttle. They were blowing all weekend and will likely open several additional trails this weekend mainly on the north side.  That area got like 3 or 4 separate small to mid snow events the past week.

No bumps yet as of last week but they might soon be letting Tunkhannock bump up idk

abeski
January 19, 2022
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts
Tunkhannock and Wyalusing have not been groomed, hopefully Tunkhannock at least is beginning to bump up.  Sunday even it seemed it might not have been groomed.  I'll continue to pay attention as I will be back there Saturday.  Seneca now open, and Lackawanna and Kickapoo have had snowmaking, I imagine would open this weekend nearing 100% other than Lehigh which is never open
January 19, 2022
353 posts

abeski wrote:

Tunkhannock and Wyalusing have not been groomed, hopefully Tunkhannock at least is beginning to bump up.  Sunday even it seemed it might not have been groomed.  I'll continue to pay attention as I will be back there Saturday.  Seneca now open, and Lackawanna and Kickapoo have had snowmaking, I imagine would open this weekend nearing 100% other than Lehigh which is never open

I looked at my recap from last time and saw that I skied Tunkhannock twice.

"Eventually, we felt we were stretched out enough to take the more challenging black diamond runs and prepared for ♦Tunkhannock, steep, ungroomed and a bit bumpy. As expected, it proved challenging to us, a pair of Type II skiers who get one or two days on the mountain in a good season. We got through it though, perhaps without elegance or technical excellence."

The second time down wasn't clean.

It looks like we'll have lots of trails on Saturday.

abeski
January 19, 2022 (edited January 19, 2022)
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts
Nice trip report, I seem to remember coming across your blog before, maybe some kayaking or biking or roads or train topic or maybe it was in fact skiing!
January 19, 2022
353 posts
Glad you like the site. Perhaps we'll cross paths on Saturday. I'll be easily identified by my helmet.
abeski
January 19, 2022
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts
Green pants & skis, gray helmet & jackets, may or may not be telemarking badly
January 23, 2022
353 posts
Had a good Bluebird day yesterday -- writing up the recap. Elk was pretty busy.
January 23, 2022 (edited January 23, 2022)
353 posts
Here is my recap:

Skiing: January 22, 2022 Elk Mountain

1642968099_olfeipcthpxv.jpg

First-hand report of a bluebird day of skiing at Elk Mountain in Northeast Pennsylvania on January 22, 2022.

abeski
January 23, 2022
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts

Nice report! I was surprised to find it just as crowded yesterday as last holiday weekend, along with lower staffing levels, however, the snow was definitely prime this weekend!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?