Buying in Canaan Valley
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
JACK1975
January 26, 2022
Member since 01/24/2022 🔗
8 posts
As a follow-up to my post yesterday re ski school at Timberline (thanks for all the great responses!) we'd like to start our search for a second home in Canaan Valley.  Whether ski school works out for my daughter or not, we just love spending time there.  Can anyone recommend a real estate broker you've had a good experience with?  Alternatively, if you're planning on putting your CV house on the market in the near future, I'd love to hear about it!!  Thanks all
Rickh
January 26, 2022
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Amy Barb - Best of Canaan

bestofcanaan.com

JACK1975
January 26, 2022
8 posts
Awesome thanks!
kwillg6
January 27, 2022
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

JACK1975 wrote:

As a follow-up to my post yesterday re ski school at Timberline (thanks for all the great responses!) we'd like to start our search for a second home in Canaan Valley.  Whether ski school works out for my daughter or not, we just love spending time there.  Can anyone recommend a real estate broker you've had a good experience with?  Alternatively, if you're planning on putting your CV house on the market in the near future, I'd love to hear about it!!  Thanks all

Any or all of the realtors in the valley are good.  Each agency has highly knowledgable folks working and would represent you well.  Problem is that there is very little on the market. It was gobbled up over the last several years and a lot which is listed is way.... overpriced.  We paid too much for the house we live in now but it was what we wanted and it turned out ok.  Best to check with locals who have their ears to the ground and are in the know about potential sales.  Once something hits the market you will need to get in line if it's priced reasonably.  

yellowsnow
January 27, 2022 (edited January 27, 2022)
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Amy Barb, Best of Canaan

or

Kim Landis, Landis Realty

EDIT:  Many properties in the Valley have homeowners associations with important bylaws, rules, regulations, and covenants that are strictly enforceable.  Find out what those details are before buying.  And if you are interested in a property that happens to be a condominium, make sure you ask for and receive, prior to purchase, a West Virginia Resale Certificate.  Your realtor should know what that is and if they don't know, then get another realtor. (And no, "condominium" does not mean an apartment.  It's simply a type of ownership in which there is shared ownership of things like a pool or other amenities, for example) .

JACK1975
January 27, 2022
8 posts
Thanks all, really appreciate the suggestions and insight.  
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 28, 2022 (edited January 28, 2022)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Definitely not a buyer’s market right now. We are seeing record prices in the valley and almost no inventory. Building is another option but there is a serious contractor backlog, so you may end up waiting years for a house to be built. 

Davis is having a hearing about limiting Airbnb rentals—another factor to consider.

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2022
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
Sorry, just seeing this.  I would echo Kim Landis; she was our broker when we bought last year.   Also agree that having a broker will help find property before it’s listed.  We’ve been really happy with our purchase.  It’s rented a great deal more than we anticipated — which is good and bad: we had to find alternate accommodations for MLK weekend as our house rented before we booked it for ourselves.   Great to see the investment by the Perfects.   Terrain, snowmaking and lifts really make the +/- 2.5 hour drive from Arlington worth it

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.