9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2022
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Greetings all, it has been some time since I've jumped in here

I'm heading to Canaan this weekend to take advantage of the sadly diminished storm, down to total accumulations of 4 to 5 in. it seems.  Still good base and no thaw and refreeze cycles.  So How are the trees at Timberline doing, tracked and a little stumpy I assume, but is the coverage still adequate?

I also was wondering why CVR hasn't opened more natural terrain but did just notice that upper and lower prosperity are open for uphill traffic, which is cool.  Do you have to buy a standard ticket for that, or in my case use up one of my Indy pass days?

May also do a halfday at Massanutten since it's trails look to be in great condition and it'on my way there or back from NC

Regards to all, david

Argent - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2022
Member since 12/20/2018 🔗
19 posts
This past Monday at Timberline there was still enough snow in the trees. I don’t do glades much, but the little I did I just had to watch out for a few roots. There were some spots with little to no tracks. 
wgo
January 28, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
My son and I were at TL on 1/18, after 19 inches of snow over two days. Per Dave Lesher's site the base depth at 3700` was 16 inches. I was in the trees a fair amount and did emerge with a few scratches on my bases but nothing really serious. Could have just been dumb luck, so take my experience with a grain of salt.
wgo
January 28, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
And yeah, trails at Mnut are in good shape. Definitely worth doing a half day if that works for you. Check out the new short run under the showtime lift.
January 28, 2022
228 posts

looks like lodging could be an issue, Alpine never used to be fully booked but they are this weekend -- bad for me but good for them and the Valley!

shedding tears too for the loss of the Purple fiddle Hostel --a lot of quirky nights spent there -- I think that old black cat was some sort of familiar

there is always elkins

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

kemperski wrote:

looks like lodging could be an issue, Alpine never used to be fully booked but they are this weekend -- bad for me but good for them and the Valley!

shedding tears too for the loss of the Purple fiddle Hostel --a lot of quirky nights spent there -- I think that old black cat was some sort of familiar

there is always elkins

I think you'll find that non-holiday weekends are busier in WV and VA than pre-pandemic.  Especially after the Perfect family did such a great job at Timberline last season.  Even midweek in early Jan, I had to make reservations fairly early to make sure my friend from PA and I had a room.  There are also have been more people staying at Mnut on non-holiday weekends this month.  The cold and snowy weather is a factor, but I think there are people who discovered last season that local skiing can be a lot of fun.

JRunPatterson74
January 28, 2022
Member since 02/27/2019 🔗
27 posts
I'm glad I booked my room already for next weekend. Now to decide if I want to go to Canaan Valley or Whitegrass on Saturday (Timberline on Sun is a given).
January 28, 2022
228 posts

well im packed and ready to go ...  I even waxed one pair of skis with cold wax, cause it's gonna be COLD.

4 am departure should put me at Canaan by 11,

Shout if you see me there or at whitegrass... green helmet, red pants orange backpack, uncertain which skis

....where I'll stay I don't know

January 28, 2022
228 posts
so does anyone know about this new uphill policy on prosperity?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.