Please any comments on jr racing team
2 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2022 (edited January 31, 2022)
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
8 posts

Hi dear fellows skiers,

My girl will be 6+ next winter, and she loves skiing since she was 3+. She spent 9 days on slope last winter, 9 days on slope this year so far. and she skis most blues in Snowshoe now. She is working with private instructors for harder blues and enjoys group lessons as well (actually loves group lessons more, quote "i could make new friends in group lessons") and we live in Fairfax county in NOVA. 

Please share any comment about kid's racing team in the area as I'm thinking about sending her to ski team when she turns 7 and we may get a place (small cottage) for our family  (booking all weekends sounds too much work for us). My own thoughts are:

1. Snowshoe is too far away for weekends 

2. Bryce mountain is too small, though i heard they have a good team

3. Wintergreen is one of our choices, because it seems that they have very well-run program and produced top athletes in SARA competitions in the past 5 years for girls. 

4.  Massanutten: closer which is good. seems it's a four season destination and tons of activities in the summer . but don't know much about the mountain (enough snow and crowded?) and the team (professionally run and good coaches?)

5. Timberline: love the mountain the most, wilder but further away. How's the program? I heard it's mostly parents run?

Any sharing will be extremely valuable to us and we sincerely appreciate that! :)

teardensohn
February 4, 2022
Member since 02/4/2022 🔗
2 posts

My kids (7 & 9) are in Timberline's race program.   they have been involved for 2 years.   The new mountain ownership has reinvigorated the program and practices.   I am on the Board and am happy to share more details.  my email is teardensohn@gmail.com.    Website here: timberlineraceteam.org

We are also hosting our league (Southern Alpine Racing Assn - saraski.org ) Championships for U16-U21 February 25-26.   You should come and watch.

Todd

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.