Killington vs A-Basin Mid April
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
bryantfsu93
March 3, 2022
Member since 01/29/2021 🔗
17 posts

I'm not ready to give up on skiing this year.  I think we may be lucky to get in one or two more days at Timberline in March.  

The wife has off the week of 4/10 and I'm thinking why not take a few days and find some snow.  

All non-ski related issues being equal I think A-Basin without hesitation, but costs would not be equal.  I figure it will cost about 1000 dollars more to fly out and rent a car from Denver as apposed to driving up to VT.  

I've never skied either location. I have been skied Colorado many times vs 0 times north of Whitetail so checking out a NE resort also has some appeal.

How much better do people think the skiing at A-Basin will be vs Killington mid April?  Is it worth it?

Thanks!

SuicideSix
March 3, 2022 (edited March 3, 2022)
Member since 01/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

I drive up to Killington quite a lot for April & May weekends. 

Usually in April there is plenty of terrain still open and then it gradually reduces.  The basic conditions in April are usually spring/corn-type snow so granular/groomed in the mornings and then softening around noon for soft afternoons.  Sometimes you get these mid-April snowstorms and it's winter-wonderland like midwinter all over again.

In May Killington is usually down to a focus on their big spring trails (Superstar trail stays open usually til late May).  The mornings are hard granular and then the afternoons are mogul-skiing heaven :) :)

Definitely worth a trip at some point to check it out.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2022
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Like Bryant, our gang is kicking around something similar the second weekend in April.  We really did not get any bang for our buck on our Ikon passes this year.  It's more of a damn it, I paid all this $$ for a pass and I'm going to use it trip. 

Suicide - how are the weekend crowds in early - mid April?

SuicideSix wrote:

I drive up to Killington quite a lot for April & May weekends. 

SuicideSix
March 3, 2022 (edited March 3, 2022)
Member since 01/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

The weekend crowds at K in April are enough to be fun in the bars, but light enough to have short liftlines :)  It's a scene

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

RE:  How much better do people think the skiing at A-Basin will be vs Killington mid April?  Is it worth it?

YES.  That is generally true any time of any year.  Specifically, it depends on costs and time and other extraneous factors.  

Either way, a day skiing is better than a day not skiing. 

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2022
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

My two cents on the non-skiing experience- the spring scene at A-basin is cool, but it is a parking lot tailgate scene and as a non-local you'll sort of be on the outside looking in. 

Killington will be fun all around - grills fired up, all the decks in full swing, speakers pumping everywhere- I'm sorta jealous just thinking about it.

The drive isn't bad, beltway to Albany is one giant straight drive, under 6 hours easy.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 3, 2022
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I just spent a few days skiing in CO (Snowmass, Highlands, Steamboat) and now in SLC.  The Aspen area has really good snow right now.  However, if you are cost sensitive a good time can be had at a mtn like Killington in April.  I've been in New England many times for spring skiing.  The big thing you'd want to avoid is rain.  Yuck.  Since there won't be any crowds (unless a big spring snow storm), I'd wait until about 4 or 5 days before your dates to confirm your schedule, motel, and exact ski days.  Pick your ski days for the nicest spring weather occurring in your one week window and go for it!  Week days will be a ghost town at a place like Killington in April, weekends not too bad either, again unless there is a surprise snow dump to get people to come out of the woodwork.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?