Whitegrass today - april 21
9 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2022
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

whitegrass.com  if you’ve been waiting all season, now is the time.

meanwhile in the Sierra a foot of new snow with another 1-3’ coming dependent on altitude.  Lifts closed today due to lightning and high avalanche danger.  The storm should end in time for a great weekend.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 21, 2022 (edited April 21, 2022)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Yes.  Looks like two feet coming to the Wasatch Fri-Sat.  I'm down with a mild case of covid and will miss this dump. Tested pos this AM. But grateful I'm not feeling worse and I was able to complete short trip to Mammoth prior.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2022
2,337 posts
My best wishes for a quick recovery, Jim.
Crush
April 21, 2022
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

yep - we got 10+ inches in north lake - wet snow but I'll take it. Planning on skiing at Heavenly this Sat and Sun - bonus !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D I'm sure you be hitting Kirkwood, right?

E-

Denis wrote:

whitegrass.com  if you’ve been waiting all season, now is the time.

meanwhile in the Sierra a foot of new snow with another 1-3’ coming dependent on altitude.  Lifts closed today due to lightning and high avalanche danger.  The storm should end in time for a great weekend.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 21, 2022
2,337 posts

Eric,  I wish.  Kirkwood has the highest base elevation, 7800’, of the Tahoe places still operating and so it would be the best choice.   Instead I’ll be continuing slow patient rehab from spinal stenosis surgery.  Hoping to have some good news on that soon.

BTW, I like chair 2 at Kirkwood on a powder day.  It is the route to the backside and the powder stampede will be going there.  #2 has a narrow groomed strip and collects unloved powder on both sides.  Skier’s right is thinner and a bit rocky.  Skier’s left is heaven.  I can always lay down 6-8 nested tracks before attracting attention and competition.  

Crush
April 22, 2022
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Heya - sorry to hear about your continued rehab - darn. I think I remember #2 hmmm maybe we hit that and go to Kirkwood Inn & Saloon for some BBQ for dinner - oorrrrr - do you know of a better place? I suspect I'll be spending the night there so that can be a gastronomic territory expander.

Denis wrote:

Eric,  I wish.  Kirkwood has the highest base elevation, 7800’, of the Tahoe places still operating and so it would be the best choice.   Instead I’ll be continuing slow patient rehab from spinal stenosis surgery.  Hoping to have some good news on that soon.

BTW, I like chair 2 at Kirkwood on a powder day.  It is the route to the backside and the powder stampede will be going there.  #2 has a narrow groomed strip and collects unloved powder on both sides.  Skier’s right is thinner and a bit rocky.  Skier’s left is heaven.  I can always lay down 6-8 nested tracks before attracting attention and competition.  

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 22, 2022
2,337 posts
Kirkwood Inn has good hearty food and a great atmosphere.  There is no other place to eat within 15 miles, except at the ski area.  The inn goes back to the mid 19th century.  There are pictures and stories of Snowshoe Thompson, California’s greatest hero, on the walls.  The inn sits exactly on the boundary between Amador County and Alpine county.  During the prohibition era the bar was mounted on wheels.  When they received a phone alert that the sheriff was coming they’d ask what county, then the customers would push the bar to the other side of the county line. 
chaga
April 23, 2022
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Well, it was April 19th, and April 20th. It was gone by the 21st unless your name was Chip. 

Amazing skiing the 19th and 20th!  Had a few inches of sleet on the 18th before the upslope started overnight and all day the 19th, so there was like a microbase under the powder, and you could ski anywhere!   this is dawn patrol on the morning of the 20th! (drone shot by Justin Harris) 

1650722177_wfxrpukqhaom.jpg

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 23, 2022
2,337 posts
Beautiful tracks too.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?