Off-Season Construction in Mid-Atlantic
53 posts
16 users
11k+ views
nickhaas212
May 9, 2022 (edited May 9, 2022)
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Looks like Ballhooter got a new paint job. I thought there was a rumor regarding an upgrade to this lift and the current express would be moved over to the terrain park.

1652106805_letnirjsqrmk.jpg

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
May 10, 2022
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Now they are working on the top.  Alterra announced  $344 MM in capital improvements at their resorts.  Snowshoe was allocated several gallons of Sherwin-Williams paint.

280473168_5403588616328502_2448663268376235453_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=A0MtRMzMfKsAX_hl2Mf&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AT-DMLGePeYn6j-ZYuNkeyt1j0MkijGvZTdexbwiMse_0A&oe=62805F49 

nickhaas212 wrote:

Looks like Ballhooter got a new paint job. I thought there was a rumor regarding an upgrade to this lift and the current express would be moved over to the terrain park.

1652106805_letnirjsqrmk.jpg

wgo
May 12, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Sherwin-Williams? Fancy! 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Now they are working on the top.  Alterra announced  $344 MM in capital improvements at their resorts.  Snowshoe was allocated several gallons of Sherwin-Williams paint.

rbrtlav
May 20, 2022
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Shavers center at snowshoe is now permanently closed. Hopefully they give an update on future plans during the homeowners meetings next week.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Mongo
May 21, 2022
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Shavers center at snowshoe is now permanently closed. Hopefully they give an update on future plans during the homeowners meetings next week.

I saw the FB post. Kind of sad because I remember my kids loved Big Top when they were little, and Shaver Center was the rendezvous before we got in the car to drive home.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
May 22, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Last time I was there that was also ski patrol and first aid.  (As I found out first hand :)) Has that already moved somewhere else?  And think of the scouts!  If one of  you owners gets info please post.  I doubt I'll go to shoe this year, again, but I remain interested in it.  

rbrtlav
May 23, 2022
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Someone in the Facebook post said the roof partially collapsed last Monday. The depot is in expedition rentals for now and I think bike patrol is in the big top for now.

I don’t believe this was planned, so it’ll be interesting to see what they put together for winter. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 23, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Someone in the Facebook post said the roof partially collapsed last Monday. The depot is in expedition rentals for now and I think bike patrol is in the big top for now.

I don’t believe this was planned, so it’ll be interesting to see what they put together for winter. 

Is there room for a Sprung structure?  They come in different shapes and sizes.  There are pictures from Taos, Keystone, Bretton Woods on the Sprung website.  The Taos Sprung structure has been there for over six years.

https://www.sprung.com/structures/sports-recreation-buildings/ski-lodges/

rbrtlav
May 23, 2022
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
I believe the big top is a structure similar to that and directly next to the shavers center, I’m guessing they will use the big top for some things and maybe put some temporary structure in the expedition/primo lot so they can start construction on the replacement.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 24, 2022
3,246 posts

There a fair amount of detail in this article about the new trails coming at Massanutten in the next couple years.  They started on the long blue from the top during the winter.  I could see the upper part of the trail in Feb when riding Lift 5.  Mueller's Mile will be a mile long, will have three large turns, and is expected to open for 2022-23.  It's named for a long time employee who is helping to build it.  There has always been interest in adding trails on that part of the mountain but having enough snowmaking power wasn't possible until after the 2.5 mile pipeline from the valley was built to increase the water supply.  There have also been upgrades to the pumping power in recent years.

March 23, 2022, Winchester Star: MOLDING A MOUNTAIN

wgo
May 24, 2022 (edited May 24, 2022)
1,666 posts
Thanks for the link to the article. I had not caught before that "No Hessitation" (with the extra "s") was named after Kenny Hess.  
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 24, 2022
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

wgo wrote:

Thanks for the link to the article. I had not caught before that "No Hessitation" (with the extra "s") was named after Kenny Hess.  the 

When you're a builder and an innovator you get the privilege of adding a little authorship to the process :-)

I blew-up the photo with Mike Mueller to get a little better look at him (left).  Sometimes these guys are so wrapped up in ski area operations/maintenance, especially in our part of the country, that they don't have time to ski or even learn to ski.  I wonder if Mr. Mueller skis?  It would be pretty cool to breeze down a run with your name on it :-)  Keep up the good work Massanutten!

1653398177_ubbnkytwygex.jpg

wgo
May 24, 2022 (edited May 24, 2022)
1,666 posts

Couple other interesting points:

- They are trying to capture some of the market that currently goes to WV

- It will be interesting to see how the new blue trail available from the Peak Quad changes the lift line dynamic

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 24, 2022
3,246 posts

JimK wrote:

wgo wrote:

Thanks for the link to the article. I had not caught before that "No Hessitation" (with the extra "s") was named after Kenny Hess.  the 

When you're a builder and an innovator you get the privilege of adding a little authorship to the process :-)

I blew-up the photo with Mike Mueller to get a little better look at him (left).  Sometimes these guys are so wrapped up in ski area operations/maintenance, especially in our part of the country, that they don't have time to ski or even learn to ski.  I wonder if Mr. Mueller skis?  It would be pretty cool to breeze down a run with your name on it :-)  Keep up the good work Massanutten!

From what I know from talking to Kenny, it wasn't his idea to name a trail for him.  Although he's probably tickled to be added to the list of important people to Massanutten to have a trail named for him.  Diamond Jim and ParaDice are also named for key players in Mnut's history, Jim Lambert and C. Dice Hammer.  They created the company called Great Eastern that was able to make Mnut a successful timeshare resort after the first two owners made a bit of a mess in the 1970s and early 1980s.  The teaching area is now named Paul's Way for the long time ski school director.  Kenny and Paul will be around for a while longer, so they'll get to see how the new trails change the mix of people going to Mnut.  Both have worked at Mnut for decades.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 24, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Couple other interesting points:

- They are trying to capture some of the market that currently goes to WV

- It will be interesting to see how the new blue trail available from the Peak Quad changes the lift line dynamic

Since Massanutten is a 4-season timeshare resort, they are full during the summer and have lots of empty units during the winter.  When the Peak lift is a high-speed quad serving black and blue trails, I can imagine there will be people who will decide it's not worth the longer drive to WV.  A lot of people who got Indy have checked out Massanutten the last few years and been surprised at what it's like.  The reputation as "Mass O-Nothing" was hard to live down.  I hard that more than once when traveling to other ski areas/resorts in the mid-Atlantic or northeast when I told people a decade ago that my home mountain was Massanutten.

Kenny is well aware of what the Perfects have done at Timberline.  Although the planning for adding trails to the upper mountain goes way back before Timberline devolved and became available for purchase.  Taking over the Mid-Mountain Grill building was part of the plan as well.  Makes is pretty easy to stay away from the base lodge for the entire day on weekends when there is hot food, drinks, and indoor restrooms mid-mountain.

rbrtlav
May 28, 2022 (edited May 28, 2022)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

State of the shoe highlights:

This summer:

Progression park is getting all new snowmaking pipe and automatic snowmaking (I assume the blue titan guns) 

Skidder slope is getting regraded to remove as much of the double fall line as possible to help with learning. (Not sure how, but they said they are bringing in alot of dirt) The magic carpet is going to be moved near the top of grabhammer and the grading will allow it to become an alternative to ballhooter to access the village. They pointed out they are still working with alterra for lift and terrain expansion, but this should help with crowds with the current infrastructure.

The yellow pole mounted AT fan guns on skidder are being moved to silver creek to start automating the snowmaking over there, they will be replaced be the blue titan fan guns.

Later this summer easy street bike trail will have a route behind the stage to avoid construction and the pedestrians near the top of skidder, this will be permanent after construction.

The plan is to sign a contract for a fixed grip quad for powder monkey this summer. With construction next spring (2023)

Non-tip minimum wage is up to $15 effective this month and there are openings for the summer.

Future:

Shavers center will have several temporary buildings housing services and restrooms for the next 1-2 years. Design/planning on the new building will start this summer. The new building will house all services that were previously there including the food court plus more. Not a lot of details, but hopefully more will come later.

Mention of additional trails on western is back on the table.

Snowshoe is still working with alterra to try and come up with lift and trail expansion plans, but no details provided.

Bonzski
May 28, 2022
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Good summary. Re-located magic carpet on skidder will load at the top of grabhammer and offload near ballhooter. This will provide an easier option to access village versus hiking up, which most don't, and should take pressure off Ballhooter. 

The new pipe in the park is an environmentally responsible steel alternative advertised to last 3-4 times longer. 

May 31, 2022
925 posts
Too bad, that was a great opportunity for a rope tow ! :-) 

I always wondered why Grabhammer was routed like instead of higher and further over to the north.  
rbrtlav
May 31, 2022
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

pagamony wrote:

Too bad, that was a great opportunity for a rope tow ! :-) 

I always wondered why Grabhammer was routed like instead of higher and further over to the north.  

A t-bar or a Poma lift would have made even better people watching. 

Mongo
June 1, 2022
98 posts
Whenever Ballhooter is crowded, we take Grabhammer instead and hike up the hill. Couple of years ago I was doing that and some youngster with a snowboard wanted to use one of my ski poles as a hiking staff to get up the hill. I said, "son, you're thirty years younger than me, you should be able to run up this hill without even noticing it." He merely shook his head sadly with disappointment.
June 2, 2022
925 posts

I prefer the Grabhammer lift just for nostalgia, and there was rarely any line.  If you stay online you could ski from there to Shavers without actual hiking.  

Considering this thread, I now feel like Snowshoe really needs a t-bar to be a complete resort.  The two black slopes at Silver Creek woudl have been a good location - no crossing trails.  Maybe narrow line up between knotbumper and glades.  Just a dream.

Bonzski
June 3, 2022
652 posts
One detail of the PM replacement is they intend to relocate the upper terminal for better access to West Territory (less uphill? ) and there will be a way to direct ski to the new Shavers Cntr.
nickhaas212
June 3, 2022
68 posts

Timberline putting in more snowmaking pipes! Someone in the Timberline Fan Club posted this saying that they are adding more stand-alone fan guns.

1654268460_pfsfrplueiff.jpg1654268473_counhqvrpccd.jpg

Timothy.grasso
June 6, 2022
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts
Anyone know what trails those pipes/fans are going to be placed on? 
Rickh
June 6, 2022
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

According to the "other forum" Thunderstruck. 

1654533242_rtjxwsdqjfts.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 7, 2022
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

JimK wrote:

Stopped by Massanutten briefly on the way south yesterday.  Found out that Mike Mueller does ski.  Less these days than when he was younger.  He enjoys skiing with his grandkids.

Can't see the new blue at the top (to the lift of the Peak lift) from the base.  Plenty of other work happening on the lower mountain.

1654651057_zfgyepqaopvs.jpg

nickhaas212
June 15, 2022
68 posts

Timberline Updates:

• Light poles on the slopes and in the parking lot.
  • Snowmaking being added to Thunderstruck and other areas for fan guns.

Bryce:

• Lift 2 base for the top bullwheel has been poured.
Timothy.grasso
June 16, 2022
70 posts
Bryce is replacing the old double with a quad? 
nickhaas212
June 16, 2022
68 posts

Yes, this was announced last year. Also, a good site to check for any lift information is liftblog.com This is one of the most addictive websites as I am always on it.

Timothy.grasso wrote:

Bryce is replacing the old double with a quad? 
Timothy.grasso
June 16, 2022
70 posts

I wonder how they will rework the lower section of the lift.  Hopefully, knock everything down and reposition it. 

Our five year old started to ski at Bryce this past winter and we have many planned trips to Bryce for the upcoming ski. Can't beat their lessons, he made so much progress after 5 lessons.  Can't wait for a second way up!

nickhaas212
June 16, 2022 (edited June 16, 2022)
68 posts

Given the fact that the top bullwheel will be next to Lift 1, I think it will follow a new alignment. If you look at their webcam, they also cleared a bunch of trees out at the lower part of Reveneur's Run.

1655402784_msshlvyjpdcf.jpg1655402907_kxzxedokjaje.jpg

Timothy.grasso wrote:

I wonder how they will rework the lower section of the lift.  Hopefully, knock everything down and reposition it. 

Our five year old started to ski at Bryce this past winter and we have many planned trips to Bryce for the upcoming ski. Can't beat their lessons, he made so much progress after 5 lessons.  Can't wait for a second way up!

nickhaas212
June 16, 2022
68 posts

Is this for upper/lower thunderstruck? Given this photo, this looks like mid-mountain crossroads. 

Rickh wrote:

According to the "other forum" Thunderstruck. 

1654533242_rtjxwsdqjfts.jpg

Thefirewarde
June 24, 2022
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

Seems to me the mid mountain crossroads would be a good spot to stash pipe near Thunderstruck - I wouldn't read too much into it, they're not welded into strings yet.

Mongo
July 15, 2022
98 posts

Someone on FB said Snowshoe is going to relocate the Powder Monkey Lift in summer 2023. They said it would end up in the village where Shaver Center is now. Is that true, and anyone know any details? And how it would affect access to Western Territory?

nickhaas212
July 15, 2022
68 posts

I have heard multiple stories of this. I have heard they are getting a replacement FGQ and relocating Powder Monkey. I have also heard rumors about relocating Ballhooter somewhere else on the mountain and replacing it with an HS6 or 8.

Mongo wrote:

Someone on FB said Snowshoe is going to relocate the Powder Monkey Lift in summer 2023. They said it would end up in the village where Shaver Center is now. Is that true, and anyone know any details? And how it would affect access to Western Territory?

Bonzski
July 15, 2022
652 posts

nickhaas212 wrote:

I have heard multiple stories of this. I have heard they are getting a replacement FGQ and relocating Powder Monkey. I have also heard rumors about relocating Ballhooter somewhere else on the mountain and replacing it with an HS6 or 8.

Mongo wrote:

In her SoS address, Patti said they plan to replace PM with FGQ and change the upper terminal location slightly to improve access to Western (less hill climb) and have access to Shavers center.  There are condos between the terminal and Shavers now but there is a walking path from the terminal to Shavers parking lot. My guess is they will build the new Shavers to make better use of this pathway access, more like a short trail.  We'll see.

Mongo
August 3, 2022
98 posts

On Facebook they say that Snowshoe is moving the magic carpet so it takes you from the top of Grabhammer up to the village.

1659582128_xfrynmhwvqkb.jpg

1659582109_nqjdsubrgkzt.jpg

1659582092_juummpkslset.jpg

ZARDOG
August 4, 2022
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

I also recommend liftblog.com    go to the NEW LIFT tab by year. For the upcoming season and next are the large expansion and replacements. 

Bryce, Massanutten, Snowshoe, Camelback, Blue, JFBB (5), Mt Snow, Stowe, Attitash.   

By 23/24 pretty much northeast rebuilt infrastructure. 

From Vail info. The PEAK Resorts component of the resort portfolio had the most visits. 8% increase midweek also.

New lifts and faster replacements will help with lines and labor.   

Zardog 

Bonzski
August 4, 2022
652 posts

Mongo wrote:

On Facebook they say that Snowshoe is moving the magic carpet so it takes you from the top of Grabhammer up to the village.

Yes that was mentioned during Patti's state of the Shoe address.  The plan was for work to start in earnest next week with this move, bringing in truckloads of dirt to re-shape the skidder learning area, and add/replace new guns (repurpose old ones at Silvercreek).

Mongo
August 5, 2022
98 posts

Will there be another magic carpet on Skidder? If the only magic carpet is going from the top of Grabhammer to the top of village level, I can see a horrendous crush of people, and people trying to get from Grabhammer to the village being mixed in with beginners/peewees trying to use the carpet for lessons with the result being general frustration. But there will still be the option to get on the Skidder lift, I guess.

Bonzski wrote:

Mongo wrote:

Yes that was mentioned during Patti's state of the Shoe address.  The plan was for work to start in earnest next week with this move, bringing in truckloads of dirt to re-shape the skidder learning area, and add/replace new guns (repurpose old ones at Silvercreek).

Bonzski
August 15, 2022
652 posts

Mongo wrote:

Will there be another magic carpet on Skidder? If the only magic carpet is going from the top of Grabhammer to the top of village level, I can see a horrendous crush of people, and people trying to get from Grabhammer to the village being mixed in with beginners/peewees trying to use the carpet for lessons with the result being general frustration. But there will still be the option to get on the Skidder lift, I guess.

Bonzski wrote:

Mongo wrote:

Dunno about a 2nd carpet.  The re-grading of Skidder area has begun, you can watch the progression on Snowshoe's Skidder Slope webcam.

Keith_Moon
August 21, 2022
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

If you look at the Skidder webcam now there is a lot of new stuff going on.  Does anyone know what's happening there exactly?  There's a big concrete slab.  Is that where the actual Skidder building used to be - ie did they tear it down already?  Or is the Skidder building off camera behind that blue temporary fencing?  In that case, then what is that slab?  Was it always there and I just never noticed it before because it was always covered with snow?   If they're moving the magic carpet over to Grabhammer, how will people get back to the top at the ski school area/learner's slope?  What's with the scaffolding at Expedition Station?  Lastly, are the improvements at Mountain Lodge scheduled to be completed by the start of this upcoming season?

Shotmaker
August 21, 2022
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

If you look at the Skidder webcam now there is a lot of new stuff going on.  Does anyone know what's happening there exactly? 

The big development over the past week or so has been the soil brought in surrounding where the magic carpet was. It appears the slab and conveyer base are still there. Looks like they are starting the reshaping of the learning area on Skidder slope that Bonzski mentioned in a prior post.

There's a big concrete slab. 

The long narrow slab in the far right view of the webcam is where the magic carpet was a number of years ago.

Is that where the actual Skidder building used to be - ie did they tear it down already?  Or is the Skidder building off camera behind that blue temporary fencing? 

The building behind the fencing and where the webcam is mounted is/was Shavers Center. It's slated to be torn down.

In that case, then what is that slab?  Was it always there and I just never noticed it before because it was always covered with snow?   If they're moving the magic carpet over to Grabhammer, how will people get back to the top at the ski school area/learner's slope?  What's with the scaffolding at Expedition Station?  Lastly, are the improvements at Mountain Lodge scheduled to be completed by the start of this upcoming season?

Other people on this forum may be able to address your other questions.

Keith_Moon
August 21, 2022
204 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

The building behind the fencing and where the webcam is mounted is/was Shavers Center. It's slated to be torn down.

Oh yeah right, sorry I confused Skidder with Shavers.

Bonzski
August 22, 2022
652 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

If they're moving the magic carpet over to Grabhammer, how will people get back to the top at the ski school area/learner's slope?

The Skidder lift will remain so I suppose that will be the only option.

What's with the scaffolding at Expedition Station?

Exterior building maintenance

Lastly, are the improvements at Mountain Lodge scheduled to be completed by the start of this upcoming season?

I've seen several of the metal decking structures installed but not sure if they're on schedule for all to be completed by season start.

rbrtlav
August 22, 2022 (edited August 22, 2022)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Expedition station is getting new windows and siding.

I think it’ll be wrapping up for the most part in the next month

Bonzski
September 27, 2022
652 posts

From the Shaver's Center camera today you can see Snowshoe took delivery of at least 16 new fan guns (foreground), the Skidder carpet has been moved to connect Grabhammer & Ballhooter (background) and Skidder slope's regrade looks nearly complete (center).

1664309113_werztvajqsqi.jpg

Keith_Moon
September 28, 2022 (edited September 28, 2022)
204 posts

At Skidder, did they just "fill in" the era where the carpet used to be or did they actually change the contour of the hill in some way?

Also, any idea where the guns will go?

Bonzski wrote:

From the Shaver's Center camera today you can see Snowshoe took delivery of at least 16 new fan guns (foreground), the Skidder carpet has been moved to connect Grabhammer & Ballhooter (background) and Skidder slope's regrade looks nearly complete (center).

Bonzski
September 28, 2022
652 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

At Skidder, did they just "fill in" the era where the carpet used to be or did they actually change the contour of the hill in some way?

Bonzski wrote:

Looks like mostly a fill-in around the old carpet but it's difficult to tell if any changes to lower Skidder.  Can't be too aggressive because it has to feed beginners to the chair.  Hope to get a better assessment this weekend while I'm there.

The new guns are replacing the old guns from Shavers to Ballhooter and maybe few other spots.  Old fan guns being moved to Silvercreek.

nickhaas212
September 28, 2022
68 posts

Chairs have gone on lift 2 at Bryce!1664375237_nmnkhtkhznju.jpg

nickhaas212
September 28, 2022
68 posts

Does anyone know what "future updates and investments" Canaan Valley is planning?

Timberline has all lights in place for mid-mountain down, the new carpet installed, and looks to be wrapping up more snowmaking improvements. I wonder if the mountain will eventually have night skiing from top to bottom in the future.

Keith_Moon
September 28, 2022
204 posts

Does that mean Silvercreek will have more guns, or will they remove old ones from there?

Bonzski wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Looks like mostly a fill-in around the old carpet but it's difficult to tell if any changes to lower Skidder.  Can't be too aggressive because it has to feed beginners to the chair.  Hope to get a better assessment this weekend while I'm there.

The new guns are replacing the old guns from Shavers to Ballhooter and maybe few other spots.  Old fan guns being moved to Silvercreek.

msprings
September 28, 2022
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
On the Snowshoe Facebook page, Kan Gaitor did a video discussing their upgrades. All the old fans from skidded have been relocated to silver creek and will be fully autonomous. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.