Perfect North Podcast (with TLM content)
12 posts
9 users
3k+ views
wgo
July 1, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

stormskiing.com

TLM content starts around the 1 hour 30 minute mark. Some Indy Pass discussion near the end.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 2, 2022
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I skipped ahead to the 1:30 mark. From their perspective, those are some interesting insights into the local market and culture. The interior Mid-A will benefit from the competition the Perfects can provide. Timberline has some of the best terrain in the region, and it can give Epic and Ikon resorts a run for the money. The talk about their interest in possible future acquisitions is really exciting. If and how soon will no doubt depend on how well Timberline does over the next few years. There might be hope for Blue Knob.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
July 2, 2022
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I wonder who the high bidder was. He mentioned this bidder was not a ski business veteran. Sounded like the Perfects stretched the acquisition budget they set to complete the purchase. And thank Uhler they did. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 2, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Found this about the auction in 2019.

November 2019: Timberline ski resort sold at auction for $2.2 million

" . . .

Perfect North Slopes was the second-highest bidder at an auction this week, but high bidder First Asset Holding LLC agreed to assign its bid of $2.2 million to Perfect North Slopes in exchange for $30,000 cash.

. . ."

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 2, 2022 (edited July 2, 2022)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Timberline holds snow in late season better than Perfect North.  During the first season under Perfect ownership, season pass holders at Perfect North were offered discounted lift tickets for Timberline.  A man I chatted with on the chairlift decided to see what skiing in WV would be like.  He was quite happy and clearly planned to return in the future.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 3, 2022 (edited July 3, 2022)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I like the Perfect North/Timberline guy (Jonathan Davis), sensible, professional, and enthusiastic.  Around 1:40-1:42 they talk about how after acquiring T-Line they now have a model for the efficient acquisition of additional ski areas if the opportunity arises.  Like LHC said, I'd love to see them go after Blue Knob!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
July 7, 2022
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I encourage people to listen to the entire podcast. The earlier sections talk about how Perfect North Slopes started, their business philosophy, their attitude towards snowmaking, night skiing, running a commuter mountain, Vail, etc. Good stuff. 
superguy
July 12, 2022 (edited July 12, 2022)
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Yeah, BK would be a good for them.  It'd be priced right around what they paid for T-Line. BK was sold for somewhere between $1.5-1.7 million, though no telling which way the value has gone.  The owners are skiers, but not ski biz vets - mostly doctors lawyers and vets.  Definitely not their focus or primary biz - and BK isn't really turnkey either. My guess is they each kicked in about $100k and bought it together. 

The Fiores from Altoona supposedly bid on it too and had a better offer but it stalled for some reason. They would have had the money to invest.

The Perfects could probably turn that place around too. I don't know how much it cost to get T-line operational again, though I remember the talk here was that in pretty rough shape - perhaps worse than BK.  Would they have the money or financing to do it?

If they don't grab it, I'd like to see Boyne or Alterra grab it.  Vail needs some competition - especially in that region.

superguy
July 12, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Definitely 30k well spent.  I doubt it would have gotten the needed love from a company like that.

marzNC wrote:

Found this about the auction in 2019.

November 2019: Timberline ski resort sold at auction for $2.2 million

" . . .

Perfect North Slopes was the second-highest bidder at an auction this week, but high bidder First Asset Holding LLC agreed to assign its bid of $2.2 million to Perfect North Slopes in exchange for $30,000 cash.

. . ."

Thefirewarde
August 17, 2022
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

Blue Knob is in worse shape as far as on hill utilities go. Timberline was in poor condition, but apart from a few recently replaced sections of pipe everything at Blue Knob is expired or very close to it. Blue Knob also needs a rehab of their main pond, and their top to bottom lifts are very tightly integrated into the trail network - replacing and recertifying them may mean losing trails, much like Thunderdraft isn't on the Timberline map. Oh, and their one big lift in decent shape shares towers with and crosses the alignment of the two lifts you'd really want to replace first.

Blue Knob does have a working air compressor, and air lines, which Timberline doesn't - low energy guns like HKD Impulse towers or sleds could be swapped out with the current HKD Standards, Larchmont Z-1, and (shockingly) even older Larchmont guns for 1/2 the price per gun or cheaper as compared to manual Polecats. Also at least part of the trail lighting system still works. And there's just less mountain overall to fix.

If they do take it over, I'd hope that they would stretch the lift that couple of extra feet to be taller than Blue Mountain in Eastern PA - there's plenty more elevation available.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
August 17, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Thefirewarde wrote:

If they do take it over, I'd hope that they would stretch the lift that couple of extra feet to be taller than Blue Mountain in Eastern PA - there's plenty more elevation available.

I remember the bottom 70' being pretty flat, but it's been a while...

Thefirewarde
August 19, 2022
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
There's a gentler open area at the bottom of Stembogan and as you pass the compressor building and the abandoned warming hut, but it gets a bit steeper past that. Deconflicting the intermediate/expert trails from Runout might be worth doing in and of itself, if they were going to actually run the main lift and open their trails.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?