Denver Ski Rentals and my dirt bag trip
7 posts
7 users
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
August 17, 2022
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Greetings! Does anyone know a good place to rent skis in Denver? Planning a "dirt bag" trip to CO for a week in February. As I am moving around I don't want to rent skis up in the mountains. Flying in and out of Denver thus looking for an airport-friendly place to rent.  REI is an option but looking to see if there are others. 

What's a "dirt bag" trip? it is a trip where you try to be as cheap as possible! I am taking advantage of passes and discounts for lifts. On a dirt bag trip you pack a lunch, be willing to drive and apre ski is at the Motel 6! Found airfare RIC-DEN for $250RT on SWA and a rental car deal.  I plan to explore western CO - Powderhorn, Crested Butte, Telluride, and Steamboat.  The last day will be at Winter Park thus need to rent gear in Denver. Staying in Grand Junction so this will be a reverse of the normal 1-70 from Denver trip.    

Thanks

wgo
August 17, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I think there are some places in Idaho Springs that may fit your needs. Idaho Springs is east of the exit to get to Winter Park - so you could pick up your skis, continue on I-70 to points west, and on the way back from WP drop them off on your way to the airport.

I have never actually rented from any of these place so I am not sure about prices.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
August 18, 2022 (edited August 18, 2022)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
As well there are several rental shops right around Golden which is a great overnight or branching off point, especially if you plan to also go in multiple directions not just I-70.  You never know  you might get tempted by a big storm down in Monarch. The shop depends on if you want dirt bag rentals or good demo equip.  
Moe Gull
September 8, 2022
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts

Christy Sports has locations all over including Denver. If you are really on a dirt cheap trip, I should point out that Telluride has ton of free skiing via their Gondola between downtown and Mountain Village. Good to know for the day you arrive or depart and you can get some extra turns in for free. Lots of skiing is accessible from there.

Crush
September 13, 2022
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

🤟

oldensign wrote:

Greetings! Does anyone know a good place to rent skis in Denver? Planning a "dirt bag" trip to CO for a week in February. As I am moving around I don't want to rent skis up in the mountains. Flying in and out of Denver thus looking for an airport-friendly place to rent.  REI is an option but looking to see if there are others. 

What's a "dirt bag" trip? it is a trip where you try to be as cheap as possible! I am taking advantage of passes and discounts for lifts. On a dirt bag trip you pack a lunch, be willing to drive and apre ski is at the Motel 6! Found airfare RIC-DEN for $250RT on SWA and a rental car deal.  I plan to explore western CO - Powderhorn, Crested Butte, Telluride, and Steamboat.  The last day will be at Winter Park thus need to rent gear in Denver. Staying in Grand Junction so this will be a reverse of the normal 1-70 from Denver trip.    

Thanks

abeski
September 18, 2022
Member since 12/8/2021 🔗
32 posts
Western Colorado from Grand Junction, you should do a day at Sunlight if you have time.  Poor man's Aspen.  Perfect for your dirt bag trip.  They even have Aspen's old lifts.
superguy
September 19, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Dirt bag trip. Love the term!

Sounds like most of my skiing is dirt bag - I rarely buy anything at the mountain and bring it all with me. :D

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.