You might already know all this but...
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
djop
October 31, 2022
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts

How Vermonters, Austrians and Swiss launched skiing below the Mason-Dixon Line.

https://skiinghistory.org/news/pioneers-southland-skiing

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 31, 2022 (edited October 31, 2022)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

djop wrote:

How Vermonters, Austrians and Swiss launched skiing below the Mason-Dixon Line.

https://skiinghistory.org/news/pioneers-southland-skiing

If anyone wants to know more about skiing in the southeast, the book Southern Skiing is on sale.  Randy Johnson finally published the updated edition in 2019.  Quite a lot changed since the first edition in 1986.  He covers lift-served and backcountry skiing.

Southern Snow : The New Guide to Winter Sports

Moe Gull
November 2, 2022 (edited November 2, 2022)
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts
I did not think the tallest was Mount Washington, but I also didn't think there were that many big peaks that far south. Hiking Tuckerman's Ravine is a fun weekend, tough to beat
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 3, 2022 (edited November 3, 2022)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

There are a lot more southern 6000 footers than I thought.  en.wikipedia.org

they lack recent glacial activity - within the last 20,000 years.  That and abundant snow.  Tuckerman ravine is a classic U shaped glacial cirque carved by a glacier in its slow gravity driven flow down the mountain.  Water carves V shaped valleys and glaciers, U shaped.   Mt. Washington and the presidential range have numerous cirques that have great spring skiing, Gulf of Slides, Great Gulf, Huntington, Jefferson, Ammonoosuc, King.  I have skied many.  Note well that you must wait until the spring corn cycle is well established.  The snowpack needs to freeze hard overnight, followed by a few hours of warm sun to make a beautiful ski-able soft snow surface.  In winter large deadly avalanches are frequent.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 3, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Good stuff.  Of course there are all those sixers down here :-).  I was up on Mt Mitchel a week ago and there patches of snow in the shade and glades, and icebergs on some north rocks.  Staff said they got a few inches of snow.  Part of the BRP was closed but that was egregious.  Nice to see though, winter is coming. 
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 3, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Also Mt Rogers in VA is only 5700+ but is an enormous mountain in girth and length, part of a long ridge of high tops.  That could have been a nice ski area, but that would have been criminal on that beautiful land.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?