TIMBERLINE 2022-2023
31 posts
15 users
5k+ views
swoop
25 days ago
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
33 posts
Well, since we may be 10 days away yet from turning the guns on, let's start the T'line thread!
Patf1engineer
25 days ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
30 posts
Long range forecast looks better starting around the 13th, although daytime highs are still low 40s at least in Davis 
wgo
25 days ago
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,477 posts
Really hoping for a Thanksgiving preview weekend like they did last season. Fingers crossed!
Moe Gull
23 days ago
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
11 posts
50s and 60s forecasted in the next week, hopefully temps will drop and there will be snow for turkey time there!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
superguy
21 days ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
440 posts

Same in the Laurel Highlands, unfortunately, I guess in both cases it'll depend on management's aggressiveness with snowmaking. 

Patf1engineer wrote:

Long range forecast looks better starting around the 13th, although daytime highs are still low 40s at least in Davis 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
20 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,871 posts
Someone mentioned night skiing at Timberline in another thread.  The website has Winter Season Hours starting on Jan. 2 going to 8pm on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, with the lift to the summit closing at 4:30pm as usual.  Will also be night skiing during holiday periods.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
20 days ago
2,871 posts

Discovered that the first weekend of Jan, Feb, and Mar will be College Weekends.  Listed under Events on the Timberline website.

"Present your current, valid college ID at the ticket window to receive special college pricing: Daily lift tickets for $60.00 for a single day, $55.00 each for two days, or $50 for all three days; ski or snowboard rentals for $29 for a single day or $24 each for 2-3 days."

MitchSH
20 days ago
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
40 posts
Based on the current long range forecast for the rest of November, there is no question that Timberline will be able to open by Thanksgiving, or earlier, if they want to. Last year they opened the weekend after Thanksgiving with a very limited weather window to make snow. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
16 days ago
2,871 posts

Not really about Timberline, but it turns out that Perfect North in southeast Indiana will have a new blue trail and more lights for the 2022-23 season.  The new trail is on one side of the lower mountain and can be access from two lifts.  There is a video with drone footage on their website.

https://perfectnorth.com/ella-mae-way

Thefirewarde
16 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
100 posts
We should see some snowmaking tonight if they're going to run during this window.
snapdragon
15 days ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
185 posts
game on
MitchSH
15 days ago
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
40 posts

Just peeked at the Timberline webcams, and they are blowing snow!

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
14 days ago
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
15 posts
Think they’ll open by this weekend?  Snowcams previewing winter wonderland 
snapdragon
14 days ago
185 posts

probably not this weekend as temps moderate late week...look for turkey on the hill though

Thefirewarde
14 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
100 posts
Seconded about the Thanksgiving weekend opening being likely. They'll have time to advertise once they're sure they'll make it without blowing out a main or losing power or something. They can get more snowmaking done this coming week without worrying about skiers in the way. And they can't get bragging rights for first in the Southeast (not that they usually would - Cat and Sugar are *really* aggressive).
snapdragon
13 days ago
185 posts
looks like at least 120 straight hours of snowmaking temps after the real cold fills in late wed...see you on the 25th...yew!!!
snapdragon
11 days ago
185 posts
there is a blizzard on cabin mtn...until tues
mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
9 days ago
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
15 posts

Game on.  Get those skis/boards waxed.  Opening this Wednesday for preview day.  Some warmer temps expected but they’ve been making snow all day. 1668809538_zoqklonyudhl.jpg

padjaski68
9 days ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
78 posts

Serious firepower. All night skiing terrain being covered! Plus Twister, kudos to them.

1668889301_ogcvkvygurhr.jpg

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
6 days ago
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
465 posts

The T-line website is claiming almost 70% open for turkey weekend!  Trying to decide between snowshoe and timberline.... tough choice. 

superguy
6 days ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
440 posts
Where on their website? Didn't see it.
Patf1engineer
6 days ago
30 posts
I actually saw it on their facebook page.  Looking at the cams they have Dew Drop pushed out and they said that Twister and Salamander would be open along with White Lightening.  You can see whales on white Lightening on the cam but they have not been pushed out yet. 
wgo
6 days ago
1,477 posts

I did not see anything on their website, but they did post something to their FB page on Saturday saying "60% to 70% of terrain available, including...Salamander, Twister, White Lightning, and Dew Drop". 

60%-70% of their 20 runs with snowmaking means 12-14 runs, which of course includes the shorter runs down from mid station, probably a couple of the short green "runs" on top, etc. But even having the 4 top to bottom runs listed above is impressive for the end of November.

superguy wrote:

Where on their website? Didn't see it.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 days ago
2,871 posts
These days Facebook and Instagram are much more likely to have the latest info about snowmaking status during early season.  Updating websites is rarely a high priority for small ski resorts like Timberline or Cataloochee.  The GM is more likely to be out helping with snowmaking or grooming than spending time on social media.
nickhaas212
5 days ago
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
63 posts

And Timberline takes the cake for most trails open out of everyone for opening day! More than Snowshoe!

1669209500_ckbcpjxezyfe.jpg

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
5 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,528 posts
Awesome!!!!  For some reason, they dropped it to 14 on the current report  I wonder why?

PS - Snowshoe has 16 open but I'm just happy so many places are open.
wgo
5 days ago (edited 5 days ago)
1,477 posts

Really great for WV skiing to have 2 good options for Thanksgiving weekend. Looks like a good selection of runs for Snowshoe, including the blues Spruce, Gandy, and lower Ballhooter. I think usually for Thanksgiving they have Gandy or Spruce and a few greens.

RE: the number of TL runs, I would guess someone just miscounted and needed to do a quick manual update to the website.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Awesome!!!!  For some reason, they dropped it to 14 on the current report  I wonder why?

PS - Snowshoe has 16 open but I'm just happy so many places are open.
Patf1engineer
5 days ago
30 posts
Conditions pretty much as expected. Little bumpy and rough with some death cookies but good coverage. For time of year and first day it’s very good. 

One other thing I was not aware of - they are now cashless. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 days ago
2,871 posts

Patf1engineer wrote:

Conditions pretty much as expected. Little bumpy and rough with some death cookies but good coverage. For time of year and first day it’s very good. 

In addition to being cashless, can have credits on the RFID card used for lift access.  Last season they let me use credits from the previous season.  The first time I got a credit was when I and my ski buddy did a day trip from Massanutten.  We got a credit for stopping before 12:30.  The credit could be used for food or in the shop.  Was good for ice cream before we hit the road.

wojo
4 days ago
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
323 posts

marzNC wrote:

Patf1engineer wrote:

In addition to being cashless, can have credits on the RFID card used for lift access.  Last season they let me use credits from the previous season.  The first time I got a credit was when I and my ski buddy did a day trip from Massanutten.  We got a credit for stopping before 12:30.  The credit could be used for food or in the shop.  Was good for ice cream before we hit the road.

No ice yet :-), good amount of people but never had a line longer that a minute.  4 top to bottom runs.  No lines in the ticket office as I passed through.  Lots of staff at the lift to manage things.  Ripped through 19 runs in 3 hours and my thighs said no to run 20, my earliest opening day yet, previous was a Black Friday several years ago.

Well executed by Timberline, maybe even say it was a "perfect" day.     

snapdragon
2 days ago
185 posts
white lightening blowover was off the chain once the rain stopped at noon...went from pouring rain at dawn to lifting fog at noon to blue sky afternoon...yew!
DCSki Sponsor: Massanutten Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.