6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
wgo
November 18, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Welp,

Looks like my family wants to go to Vail for this year's trip out west. It will be the first week of April. Are they usually still fully open (including the back bowls) during that time? The pros and cons of Vail have been discussed here and elsewhere but if I am going to go I do want to be able to take advantage of its full terrain.

Bonzski
November 18, 2022 (edited November 18, 2022)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

I've been a dozen times, many of which were in April.  Never seen it less than full open.  During late season there's a higher risk of non-groomed terrain being not ski-able due to daytime warming and overnight freezes. My first time there was Thurs-Sun of closing weekend 2008 when it snowed ~30", yeah a couple chairs were on wind/snow holds.  Some crazy vertigo happens in those bowls during whiteouts.

1668781752_aqmhuojwonhu.jpg

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 18, 2022
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
100% agree. April is the best time to ski out west as it is warmer and less storms (i.e easier driving) . I have skied Vail and affiliated resorts many times around easter and it has always been great.  May I recommend Beaver Creek!  Also, rental rates dip at bit at DEN during April so you have a better chance of getting an SUV for a regular car rate (however the rental car market is nuts these days). 
wgo
November 18, 2022
1,666 posts
Robbie - did you specifically ski the back bowls during your April vail trips. If there is a reasonable chance they will not be in good condition we would probably opt for Breck instead.
wgo
November 18, 2022
1,666 posts
Also - any thoughts on lift lines at Breck vs Vail? We've all seen the scary lift lines at Vail on social media but I imagine by the first week of April lines would be fine?
Grumpy dad
November 21, 2022 (edited November 21, 2022)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

April scares me.  Groomers maybe not as much, but for powder?  Check their avg snowfall for the month.

Also many orgs start shutting down that last month of being open, which for vail is the month of April.  

Heck home depot/lowes start putting out lawn equipment a couple of days before xmas.   My local hardware store is sold out of all their snow throwers for the year.  And the snow has yet to really begin.  

Would I turn down the opportunity to go to Vail in April?  Heck no!

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.