Massanutten 2022-23
124 posts
19 users
15k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 22, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Guess it's time for a Massanutten thread for 2022-23.  They have decided to open on Friday, Nov. 25.  Will only be the greens, teaching area, and Lower Showtime.  Plus tubing.  I took the pictures of Southern Comfort on Nov. 21.

1669168719_afwdaabphstq.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 22, 2022
3,246 posts

Massanutten has a drawing in progress for a season pass.  Deadline is Dec. 2 to enter.

Enter to win your FREE 2022-2023 Ski Season Lift ticket!

Season pass prices go up one more time after Dec. 10.  The pass options haven't changed.  Also can get an Indy Pass as an Add-on for $219, about $200 less than Full Indy (no blackout dates).  Bryce, Canaan Valley, Blue Knob, and Montage are also on Indy.

wgo
November 23, 2022 (edited November 23, 2022)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Marz - did you see that on the updated trail map the new Ridgecrest trail (connecting upper paradice with mass transit) is now shown, for the current season? I knew they were planning on this trail, but I thought it was for next season. This is in addition to the new trails Mueller's Mile and Slot.

1669223984_clojcndmilhy.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2022 (edited March 16, 2023)
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Marz - did you see that on the updated trail map the new Ridgecrest trail (connecting upper paradice with mass transit) is now shown, for the current season? I knew they were planning on this trail, but I thought it was for next season. This is in addition to the new trails Mueller's Mile and Slot.

You are correct.  The original plan didn't have Ridgecrest done for 2022-23.  Guess the clearing went better than expected.  Or they were simply cautious from the start about promising too much.  All the senior managers at Massanutten have been working there for decades.  They have clear memories of how long it took to get the ski school building finished.  That was a full year behind schedule because of unforeseen issues early in the construction phase.

Paradice and DJ added to the trail count too since they now have Upper and Lower sections.  Going to be amazing after the high speed quad is installed for 2023-24.

Getting the long blue off the top was the top priority.  Clearing for Mueller's Mile started long before the 2021-22 season was over.  It's named for the man in charge of the project who has been the Mountain Manager for a long time.

MOLDING A MOUNTAIN, Massanutten Resort building new slopes for guests - March 2022

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
wgo
November 23, 2022
1,666 posts
Upper Paradice - Ridgecrest - Mass Transit - Yee ha could be a fun intermediate combo.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Upper Paradice - Ridgecrest - Mass Transit - Yee ha could be a fun intermediate combo.

Hopefully most of the intermediates won't figure that out this MLK weekend.  I'll be there with my friend's tween per usual.  She started skiing Paradice last season.  Hoping there still won't be a lift line for the Peak lift since it doesn't become a high-speed lift until the 2023-24 season.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2022
3,246 posts

Got too warm last week for Massanutten to build enough base for 7-day operations just yet.  Folks had fun on the slopes Friday and Saturday before the rain moved in.  Even though there wasn't much rain at Mnut, didn't see too many people on snow.  The lifts will spin again on Friday, Dec. 2.

Bryce is also closed until Dec. 2.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2022
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

wgo wrote:

See you there, wgo!  I was thinking the same thing after seeing the map.  

Two nice intermediate runs off the top.  Really looking forward to that!

Woody

November 28, 2022
778 posts

marzNC,

Do you know if the new upper-mountain runs Ridgecrest, Slot, and Mueller's Mike all have snowmaking for 2022-23?

Woody

Moe Gull
November 28, 2022
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts
Good amount of snow in that pic from the 21st at least.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2022
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

marzNC,

Do you know if the new upper-mountain runs Ridgecrest, Slot, and Mueller's Mike all have snowmaking for 2022-23?

Woody

Yes.  All the new groomed trails will have snowmaking.  Massanutten has essentially unlimited water now after installing a 2.5 mile pipeline from the valley a few years ago.  They also draw from the major stream.  Big new pumps were installed in preparation for adding terrain.  Everyone who works there is totally excited about the expansion finally happening.

The new trails have lights too.  One big difference between Massanutten and Wintergreen is that the place is 100% lit for night skiing.

If you missed it, Scott did an interview with Kenny Hess earlier this year.

Interview Series: Massanutten’s Kenny Hess - January 2022

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2022
3,246 posts

Moe Gull wrote:

Good amount of snow in that pic from the 21st at least.

They made more than enough to to know they could get through the Thanksgiving weekend.  The number of fans guns, both tower mounted and on wheels is quite impressive.  Not that many fixed guns aren't automated any more so when it's cold enough, can get a lot on the ground in a short period of time.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2022
3,246 posts

Here's the details about the snowmaking infrastructure added to handle the new trails.

• We’ve added 84 automated and semi-automated HKD, Tecno Alpin, and SMI snowmakers to cover the new and existing terrain. Mueller's Mile and Ridgecrest will primarily be covered with low energy HKD snowmakers, Upper and Lower Showtime will also see snowmaking love with the addition of Tecno Alpin fan snowmakers top to bottom to help us open and resurface terrain faster than ever before. Easy Street, Paul’s Way, and Meadow will also see new SMI Snowmakers.
  • We didn’t want to leave out the grooming team so we also added a new Piston Bulley groomer to the fleet for the coming season.
wgo
November 29, 2022
1,666 posts

You can actually see the fixed snowguns on Mueller's Mile, from the webcam!

1669737729_rzutzfkqafya.jpg

bousquet19 wrote:

marzNC,

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

When are you likely to get to Mnut?  My first chance will be Sun, Jan. 8.

wgo
November 29, 2022
1,666 posts

I usually head out for a couple hours once DJ is open. I then wait for additional terrain to open before making a return trip - so usually early to mid-January? I usually try to get out midweek if work allows.

marzNC wrote:

wgo wrote:

When are you likely to get to Mnut?  My first chance will be Sun, Jan. 8.

November 30, 2022 (edited November 30, 2022)
778 posts

marzNC wrote:

bousquet19 wrote:

marzNC,

Woody

Yes.  All the new groomed trails will have snowmaking.  Massanutten has essentially unlimited water now after installing a 2.5 mile pipeline from the valley a few years ago.  They also draw from the major stream.  Big new pumps were installed in preparation for adding terrain.  Everyone who works there is totally excited about the expansion finally happening.

The new trails have lights too.  One big difference between Massanutten and Wintergreen is that the place is 100% lit for night skiing.

If you missed it, Scott did an interview with Kenny Hess earlier this year.

Interview Series: Massanutten’s Kenny Hess - January 2022

Thanks marzNC.  This is great to read!  

Sounds like a carefully planned development and rollout, with snowmaking integral to the new trails.  

Woody

wgo
November 30, 2022
1,666 posts
I've been in the mid-Atlantic for almost 20 years, and I think in that time the only expansions that compare in scope are the additions of the sawmill and camp99 runs at snowshoe (turned the Soaring Eagle chairlift area into a viable alternative to the Ballhooter/Grabhammer pod) and the addition of North Camp at Wisp. Am I forgetting anything? I know that Timberline added Twister and Wintergreen added Outer Limits in the past 20 years - anything I am overlooking?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 30, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

I've been in the mid-Atlantic for almost 20 years, and I think in that time the only expansions that compare in scope are the additions of the sawmill and camp99 runs at snowshoe (turned the Soaring Eagle chairlift area into a viable alternative to the Ballhooter/Grabhammer pod) and the addition of North Camp at Wisp. Am I forgetting anything? I know that Timberline added Twister and Wintergreen added Outer Limits in the past 20 years - anything I am overlooking?

Not Mid-A, but Sugar in NC has added trails in recent years.  Has been making major upgrades to the lifts too.  The family in charge have also been thinking long-term for decades.  Similar to how Perfect North was expanded slowly but surely over 40+ years.

Massanutten isn't family owned.  But now that it's 100% owned by the ESOP, that makes it very unlikely that the resort would ever be sold to a multi-resort company in the future.  With an ESOP, a major of the employees and other ESOP shareholders would have to vote in favor of a buyout.  That's pretty unlikely.

Kenny mentioned in his interview with Scott that what is happening is very close to the original master plan from back in the 1970s.  I've heard talk about adding a trail on the upper mountain to lookers' right for years.  The roadblock was lack of snowmaking infrastructure, not lack of interest or money.  The major upgrades since the original lifts were replaced (2006?) have been ongoing every year and quite substantial.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 30, 2022
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

who wrote:

Well, there was that 6 million dollar rehabilitation of Laurel Mountain in 2016.

wgo
November 30, 2022 (edited November 30, 2022)
1,666 posts

d'oh! Yeah I guess that takes the prize.

Edited to add: The rehab and re-opening of a previously closed ski area is almost in its own category. Timberline would fit in there as well (although of course Laurel was closed for much longer)

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

who wrote:

Well, there was that 6 million dollar rehabilitation of Laurel Mountain in 2016.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 30, 2022
3,246 posts

No skiing at Mnut this weekend, Dec. 2-4.  Just been too warm and there is not enough time or cold nights to get the slopes back into decent shape.  Snow tubing will be open at 5pm on Friday and 9am-5pm on Sat-Sun.

The target for being open 7-days a week seems to be Dec. 17 based on online ticketing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 30, 2022
3,246 posts

Massanutten is experimenting with seasonal rentals of some of their used rental gear.

We are now offering seasonal ski and snowboard equipment rentals for toddlers through adults, featuring used equipment from Head, Elan, Solomon, Volkl, Dalbello, and Never Summer. Quantities are limited.NOW available to reserve!

To reserve, please call the Rental Shop at 540.289.4957. If needed, please leave a voicemail and the Rental Shop will call you back within 2 business days. After purchase, the Rental Shop will schedule an appointment for fitting. Appointments will be Monday - Friday between 9:30 am - 4:00 pm.

• Skis, Boots & Poles Seasonal Rental | $200 + $50 refundable deposit
  • Snowboard, Boots & Bindings Seasonal Rental | $200 + $50 refundable deposit

The refundable deposit will be issued to credit card only and is dependent upon the equipment being returned in good condition. Equipment must be returned by March 31, 2023.

wgo
December 1, 2022
1,666 posts
Snowguns are currently on at Mnut, but just on the lower mountain still. I would guess the upper mountain will not get any attention until the next cold snap.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
mjankovits
December 1, 2022
Member since 12/1/2022 🔗
2 posts
I have a quick question that I'm hoping you can provide me some insight on.  My family will be going to Massanutten between Christmas and New Years and we'd like to have our kids take lessons.  For our youngest two (4 and 6yo), it looks like we'd have to do the private lessons...one for each of them.  Is that correct?  
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2022 (edited December 1, 2022)
3,246 posts

mjankovits wrote:

I have a quick question that I'm hoping you can provide me some insight on.  My family will be going to Massanutten between Christmas and New Years and we'd like to have our kids take lessons.  For our youngest two (4 and 6yo), it looks like we'd have to do the private lessons...one for each of them.  Is that correct?  

Does look like the youngest age for the Children's Program is 7.  Mnut has been shifting around their lesson programs a lot because of lack of instructors.  Have also found that people who spring for private lessons are more likely to become happy skiers in less time.  You may be able to have the two of them in a semi-private lesson.  It's $128 for an hour plus $40 for each additional person.  Could also set up a "family lesson" with a kid and a parent, if you think that dynamic would work.

How well do the adults in your family ski?  I was an advanced intermediate when I started my daughter at Mnut at age 4.  That was with old fixed grip lifts and no conveyor loading on the beginner lifts.  Learning how to help her load a lift took some concentration and practice.  I was glad she started out on a lift with an instructor.  She already knew what to do, which made it a lot easier for me.  She was tiny and needed a bit of help to get up onto the seat completely.

During a holiday period, there is very high demand.  I suggest you call Mnut Ski School ASAP.  If you don't connect with someone and no one calls you back in a few hours, call again.

As of Dec. 1, online ticketing is open to the general public at Massanutten.  They will limit numbers during the holidays so getting lift tickets sooner rather than later is also important.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2022 (edited December 1, 2022)
3,246 posts

For what it's worth, I never took my daughter to ski during the Christmas holidays.  We went just before Christmas, and stayed until Dec. 25 a few times when my niece from DC could join us.  But that was over 15 years ago.  A lot has changed on slopes and at the base for the better since then.

I've been going to Mnut for 4-day long weekends for MLK Day and Pres. Day since 2005.  After my daughter was too busy, I went with friends with younger kids.  Will be at Mnut again for MLK weekend and skiing with a young teen who learned at Mnut started at age 8.  She only skis the holiday weekends but is a natural.  Starting skiing the upper mountain last season.  Really looking forward to having more terrain up there.

mjankovits
December 1, 2022
Member since 12/1/2022 🔗
2 posts

Thanks!  We are doing a private lesson for my wife and two daughters.  It would be nice if we could include the 6yo with them, too, but we'll see.  I sent them an email, but if I don't hear back soon I'll try shooting them a call, too.  I may end up working with our 4yo myself as he can be shy and timid around strangers.  I'm an intermediate skier myself, but will probably need to watch some videos to pick up some pointers for teaching kids.  lol

I'm currently on the site now booking everything, so hoping to beat the rush, like you mentioned!  Thanks again!

wgo
December 1, 2022
1,666 posts
Getting a private lesson at MNut (I think it was 2 hours) for my then-5 year old was well worth it. 
BergafSchaatsen
December 1, 2022
Member since 11/16/2022 🔗
3 posts

wgo wrote:

I remember seeing something about Bryce adding a new trail pod in the near future, which (relative to their size) would be a pretty big expansion.

(AIUI these are the trails on the back side of the mountain which are cut for biking, but would need another lift to be open for skiing. From the maps, it looks like these might be more difficult than the existing trails at Bryce)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2022
3,246 posts
Regardless of whether Massanutten gets snow or rain later this week, temps will allow for a LOT of snowmaking before Christmas.  A few slopes were open on Dec. 20.  More will be opening in the next few days.  I'm sure the locals can't wait until the new blue from the top opens up.
wgo
December 20, 2022
1,666 posts

Can confirm. 

marzNC wrote:

I'm sure the locals can't wait until the new blue from the top opens up.
wgo
December 23, 2022
1,666 posts

Webcam shot of Massanutten this morning. Snowmaking looks to be in full force on Mueller's Mile.

1671807220_fkpionotdxpe.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 23, 2022 (edited December 23, 2022)
3,246 posts

Saw a few hardy souls out on the slopes at Massanutten this afternoon.  Temp was 3 degrees around 4:45pm, just before the lifts closed at 5pm.  Snowmaking was going on all over.

Massanutten Conditions - UPDATED   08:17am 12/23/2022

High Wind Advisory is in affect until 6:00pm. Rapid freezing and high winds may affect operations today. We'll be open from 9:00a - 5:00p for skiing and snow tubing conditions permitting. Temperatures are forecasted to fall rapidly this morning to around 10 degrees by noon. Night Skiing will not be offered tonight. Snowmaking will resume as tempertaures allow. Grab an extra layer or two before heading out today!        

wgo
December 24, 2022
1,666 posts
Mueller's mile is scheduled to open tomorrow.
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

wgo wrote:

I was hoping they would open both black diamonds from Lift 6, but it seems like the same old same old. When do they get both open?

FWIW, there were several times over the years that I opted out of Massanutten this time of year because they couldn't get the black diamonds open by now.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2022
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

wgo wrote:

I was hoping they would open both black diamonds from Lift 6, but it seems like the same old same old. When do they get both open?

FWIW, there were several times over the years that I opted out of Massanutten this time of year because they couldn't get the black diamonds open by now.

Lower Paradice is both wide and long in comparison to Diamond Jim.  Given that most people who ski at Massanutten don't ride the Peak lift (formerly Lift 6) there is little business incentive to prioritize snowmaking on Paradice over other trails.  Getting Upper Paradice open earlier makes sense given that they also opened the new Ridgecrest trail.  Getting Mueller's Mile (new blue) open for the holiday period was probably a much higher priority than Lower Paradice.  Getting Yee Ha open has more of an impact than Lower Paradice because that makes it much easier to stay on the upper mountain all day lapping the Peak quad and the Ridge triple.

Most winters in the past decade, Paradice was open by MLK weekend if Mother Nature was helpful in early January.  Although with all the new trails and snowmaking improvements in the last few years, not sure that means much in terms of predicting what will happen in the future.

Massanutten Conditions

UPDATED 09:05am 12/26/2022

9:05am update: Upper Mass Transit and Yee Ha will remain closed today for snowmaking.  

Sunny with high temps in the mid to upper 20s. Pacesetter Freestyle terrain park, Meadow, Boardwalk, Upper Mass Transit and Yee Ha open today. Delayed opening on Upper Mass Transit and Yee Ha trails and the Magic Carpet lift. Upper Paradice, Ridgecrest and Muellers Mile will close at dark today. Snowmaking will be in progress as temperature allow. 
Open 9:00 am - 9:00 pm for the rest of the holiday week.   

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2022
3,246 posts

Who would've guessed the Massanutten Lifts & Trails report would look like this on Dec. 26 given that there was essentially no snow on the slopes around Dec. 15.  Meadow is where the big terrain park used to be near the base.  That takes a lot of snow to get side-to-side coverage.  The snowguns are on today, pointed high, to take advantage of daytime temps cold enough to continue building base.  Highs will be in the 50s by the end of the week.

1672090085_nilmaztjpubz.jpg

wgo
December 26, 2022
1,666 posts
Marznc - do you know if there are plans to add lighting to Ridgecrest and Muellers Mile?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Marznc - do you know if there are plans to add lighting to Ridgecrest and Muellers Mile?

As announced on the website, all the new trails on the upper mountain will be lit.

1672102624_cqyneqjkbkia.jpg

wgo
December 26, 2022
1,666 posts
Ok, cool. Those trails currently close when it gets dark, so I guess the lights will come later.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Ok, cool. Those trails currently close when it gets dark, so I guess the lights will come later.

I expect the lights are already in place.

My guess is that Mnut is taking advantage of every hour possible for snowmaking this week.  A couple less used trails were closed during the day today to allow for full-on snowmaking.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2022
3,246 posts

Upper Mass Transit and Yee Ha are open as of Dec. 27.  Snowguns are off for the daylight hours.  Upper mountain trails will close "at dark," presumably for more snowmaking as soon as it's cold enough.  Daytime high in the 30s only.

Can just see people coming down the last section of Mueller's Mile on the webcam.

Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
8 posts
I thought Massanutten had expansion plan for the terrain park in the recent plan, but didn’t mention it in the most updated webpage? 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2022
3,246 posts

Goodol wrote:

I thought Massanutten had expansion plan for the terrain park in the recent plan, but didn’t mention it in the most updated webpage? 

The change for the terrain park with larger features happened a few seasons ago.  Used to be next to the snow tubing area where the old J-bar was located.  Back in the 1970s, that was the original beginner trail.  That has become Meadow (green) with a long magic carpet replacing the J-bar.  From what I understand, that terrain never had quite enough pitch for large features.  Although they used to hold college freestyle competitions.  That type of features are now built on lower Mass Transit.  The trail was widened as part of the change.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 28, 2022
3,246 posts
Looks like Mueller's Mile will be open for night skiing tonight.  Upper Paradice and Ridgecrest are closing at dark again.  Only a couple more nights of snowmaking temps expected before the warm temps make it to northern VA.
wgo
December 28, 2022
1,666 posts
Planning on being there for the Thursday night session with my kids. Hopefully we can get a couple runs on the upper paradice/Ridgecrest/mass transit/yee ha loop before it closes for the day.
wgo
December 29, 2022
1,666 posts

Made it out to Mnut for a night skiing session with my kids (ages 14 and 17). We skied from 4 to 730. The new trails really give the place a different feel. We skied Ridgecrest a couple times, and could have done it 1 or 2 more times before it was roped off for the evening. We saw poles for lights but no actual lights on that trail. As I had hoped, the upper paradice/Ridgecrest/mass transit/yee ha combo made for a very nice longish blue run. Muellers mile is a very nice addition that is unlike anything else at Mnut. Stretches of it are pretty flat, but there are several sharp turns with steeper drops that were fun. And of course DJ and Showtime were great fun as usual.

Hats off to Mnut for the new trails. I am looking forward to getting back out there this season, and to skiing even more new terrain next season.

wgo
December 30, 2022 (edited December 30, 2022)
1,666 posts

View from the the new Mueller's Mile trail:

1672410039_rqcleflsqbep.jpg

wgo
December 30, 2022 (edited December 30, 2022)
1,666 posts

The lights of Mueller's Mile, seen from the Ridge triple:

1672410129_iswuljuivnkx.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2022
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Made it out to Mnut for a night skiing session with my kids (ages 14 and 17). We skied from 4 to 730. The new trails really give the place a different feel. We skied Ridgecrest a couple times, and could have done it 1 or 2 more times before it was roped off for the evening. We saw poles for lights but no actual lights on that trail. As I had hoped, the upper paradice/Ridgecrest/mass transit/yee ha combo made for a very nice longish blue run. Muellers mile is a very nice addition that is unlike anything else at Mnut. Stretches of it are pretty flat, but there are several sharp turns with steeper drops that were fun. And of course DJ and Showtime were great fun as usual.

Hats off to Mnut for the new trails. I am looking forward to getting back out there this season, and to skiing even more new terrain next season.

Oh wow!  Thanks for the report and pics.  Can't wait to check out the new trails.  My usual timeshare week starts Jan. 8.

Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2022
8 posts
Wow, this is so nice! 
wgo
January 3, 2023 (edited January 3, 2023)
1,666 posts

I went out to Massanutten again yesterday afternoon (Jan 2). Trails are holding up Ok, but there are thin spots in some places, such as on Mueller's Mile (which I believe has a more southerly orientation than trails such as Diamond Jim and Showtime). A few other observations:

1. The addition of accessible blue terrain from the Peak quad has definitely changed the mix of the crowd using that lift. More beginners, and more people in general using that lift. The lift attendants did a great job of keeping things moving, and in the end it did not really impact the amount of skiing I did - it was more a matter of waiting an extra minute or 2 rather than being able to just ski right on, and there were a few more slowdowns as the attendants adjusted the lift speed for beginners. On the plus side, this did seem to pull people away from the Ridge lift a bit - there was never a wait there.

2. Mueller's Mile is a fun run, but there are places where it narrows a bit and so care must be taken navigating thru the beginners.

3. I saw workers installing lights on Ridgecrest, so hopefully that will open for night skiing soon

4. There do not appear to be fixed snowguns on The Slot. I would guess they are planning to use portable snowguns? I also did not see poles for lights, so perhaps this will be a daytime only run.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

4. There do not appear to be fixed snowguns on The Slot. I would guess they are planning to use portable snowguns? I also did not see poles for lights, so perhaps this will be a daytime only run.

I would guess that the Slot will be like Rock Drop (short black under an upper section of Ridge Triple).  Essentially those trails won't have much snowmaking, if any, unless there is a snowstorm that provides a start.  Reminds me of the run under the top of the main lift at Jiminy Peak.  It's a bump run for "experts" only when Mother Nature provides the snow.  There are probably seasons when it never opens.

Bonzski
January 5, 2023 (edited January 5, 2023)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
Due to lack of enough snow coverage to maintain a safe course & venue, the race scheduled for this weekend has been moved to Bryce.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2023
3,246 posts
Lights on and snowmaking in progress even near the base at Massanutten at 11pm on Jan. 7. :-)
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2023
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

Lights on and snowmaking in progress even near the base at Massanutten at 11pm on Jan. 7. :-)

Still blowing high all over the lower mountain as of 8am on Jan. 8.  Temperature in the 20s.  Headed that way shortly.

wgo
January 8, 2023
1,666 posts

Great! Hope you get good conditions. What days are you skiing Mnut?

marzNC wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Still blowing high all over the lower mountain as of 8am on Jan. 8.  Temperature in the 20s.  Headed that way shortly.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2023 (edited January 10, 2023)
3,246 posts

Got a chance to check out the new upper mountain trails at Massanutten on Sunday afternoon.  While Mueller's Mile was open, the snow was quite variable.  There was wet snow from the snowguns along with icy spots.  Unfortunately may not get cold enough for more snowmaking tonight.

I'm going to ski Timberline Monday and Tuesday.  Skiing Mnut Jan. 11-16.  Have friends and family who will be around for MLK weekend.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2023
3,246 posts

Temperature finally dropped below 30 degrees around 1am.  Snowmaking still in progress all over Massanutten as of 8am on Jan. 10.  Should be at least night time snowmaking the next couple nights.

Looking as if MLK weekend will be good.  Hope so since I'll be skiing with friends.  Plus my daughter will be at Mnut for a weekend for the first time in a long time.  Now that she's done with college and has a job in the Triangle, the holiday weekends are back in play as possible ski trips.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 11, 2023
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Skied the Nut yesterday. 

I had forgotten that the slopes freeze hard overnight, and it was bullet proof for the first few hours. However, once the sun came up it was quite nice.

3 trails off the top were open and well covered. Mass Transit off the triple was nice as well. 

I understand why Massanutten only has fixed lifts but that doesn't mean I have to like it.... 

wgo
January 11, 2023
1,666 posts

Not for long

oldensign wrote

I understand why Massanutten only has fixed lifts

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2023
3,246 posts

Had a very good time today at Massanutten.  Mostly skied the upper mountain.  With added snow, getting a better sense of how wide the big turns out on Mueller's Mile.  I think Paradice will still be my favorite after Lower Paradice is open, but Mueller's will be a close second.

I started counting how many new TechnoAlpine TT10s tower mounted fan guns there are.  They make the Polecats look so small in comparison.  No wonder it can only take a few days to build a base from scratch!  All the old noisy stick guns on Upper Showtime were replaced with TT10s.  There are TT10s all along Southern Comfort.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2023
3,246 posts

Father and son, both clearly intermediates, enjoying Upper Paradice to Ridgecrest from the Peak lift that goes to the top.  Upper Paradice is rated blue.  Lower Paradice has no snow and is rated black.  There are two possible routes at the end of Ridgecrest.  Can either turn left onto Mass Transit and potentially do a loop on Yee Ha back to Peak.  Or can continue over to Upper Showtime.

1673490329_mrwlmcdtroid.jpg

1673490349_hzufoxcqaztm.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2023
3,246 posts

Conditions on the upper mountain at Massanutten stayed nice today until lunch time.  It was getting a bit too warm by then.  I wanted to go see a movie in the afternoon before other people show up for MLK weekend, so it didn't matter much.  Being able to have three ways down from the top is really nice.  Mass Transit was sugary in the first hour or so.  Mueller's Mile is loads of fun on an empty midweek morning.  Diamond Jim coverage is quite deep.  One of the local seniors who only skis a few runs if conditions aren't good wasn't showing any signs of going home at 11:30am.

Hope it doesn't rain too much before lunch on Friday.  My friend and her teen are driving up from NC tomorrow morning.  Going to be a lot of fun showing the girl the new trails.  She started skiing Paradice last season.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 12, 2023
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

If you get a chance can you post a few shots coming down Mueller's Mile?  Thanks.

marzNC wrote:

Conditions on the upper mountain at Massanutten stayed nice today until lunch time.  It was getting a bit too warm by then.  I wanted to go see a movie in the afternoon before other people show up for MLK weekend, so it didn't matter much.  Being able to have three ways down from the top is really nice.  Mass Transit was sugary in the first hour or so.  Mueller's Mile is loads of fun on an empty midweek morning.  Diamond Jim coverage is quite deep.  One of the local seniors who only skis a few runs if conditions aren't good wasn't showing any signs of going home at 11:30am.

Hope it doesn't rain too much before lunch on Friday.  My friend and her teen are driving up from NC tomorrow morning.  Going to be a lot of fun showing the girl the new trails.  She started skiing Paradice last season.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2023
3,246 posts
I'm staying on the mountain at Massanutten this time.  It's snowing right now!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2023
3,246 posts

The snow in the morning was a teaser.  Made it pretty but didn't really make a difference on the slopes.  More important that it stayed cold enough for daytime snowmaking on the upper mountain.

Around 8am on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023

1673753716_jdjmdqgsjfkt.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2023
3,246 posts

Took a few runs before heading home from Massanutten yesterday.  The snow whales are gone on Mueller's Mile after the groomers flattened them out on the big turn in order to build up the base.  That section gets sun exposure for most of the day.  The depth on Diamond Jim is pretty impressive.  Mass Transit is thin in spots and will get icy once the cold weather returns, but should stay open.

Took a bunch of pictures but need to figure out which ones tell the story best.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2023
3,246 posts

For people who rent gear on the mountain and are considering Massanutten for Pres. Day weekend, the rental process was completely reworked.  Pick up boots in the old rental building, then go into the ski school building next door to get skis/boards.  That means a lot more space for benches to put on boots and more computerized stations.

What was lost was the dedicated area for children to get rental gear.  Parents who noticed that rental gear can be picked up the night before were a step ahead.  That used to be possible for the full-day children's program when my daughter was little.  But back then there was only a slow double for the shorter green and much less dedicated teaching terrain.  The overall improvements make Massanutten even better for parents who know how to plan ahead for kids who are beginners.

bryantfsu93
January 18, 2023
Member since 01/29/2021 🔗
17 posts

We were at Massanutten on Monday.  So much to like about that mountain.  It was our first time this year with the new terrain and it really makes a big difference having two new ways down from the top.  No line at all at the upper mountain lift, it was fantastic.

We have passes to  Timberline but it is always a close call between  Timberline and the Nut.  For us the biggest advantage for Timberline is how early they can open more slopes and the quality of the man made snow.   

I think Massanutten is doing all it can with what they have to work with, very much like Timberline. 

wgo
January 18, 2023
1,666 posts

Those are my 2 go to local areas. 

bryantfsu93 wrote:

We have passes to  Timberline but it is always a close call between  Timberline and the Nut.  For us the biggest advantage for Timberline is how early they can open more slopes and the quality of the man made snow.   

I think Massanutten is doing all it can with what they have to work with, very much like Timberline. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2023
3,246 posts

bryantfsu93 wrote:

We were at Massanutten on Monday.  So much to like about that mountain.  It was our first time this year with the new terrain and it really makes a big difference having two new ways down from the top.  No line at all at the upper mountain lift, it was fantastic.

The difference between Monday, MLK Day, and the day before was interesting.  Per usual, far less people on Monday.  What I noticed is that on Sunday all the lifts were stopping pretty often because of people who had trouble loading the lift.  With the blue trails on the upper mountain, more intermediates were taking the Peak lift (Lift 6).  Sunday there were plenty of advanced beginners on the Ridge Triple (Lift 5).  That meant both those lifts had lift lines of 5-10 minutes most of the afternoon.  By Monday, the people skiing were more experienced skiers, whether advanced or intermediate, and there were far fewer beginners around.

The snow on Upper Showtime stayed good longer than Mueller's Mile on Monday as it warmed up into the 50s.  Later on Sunday afternoon, there was less of a wait for a chair on the triple than for Peak.  So my friend and I finished on Showtime.

Can't wait until the Peak lift is a 4-min ride!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Those are my 2 go to local areas. 

bryantfsu93 wrote:

Using Massanutten as a home base for skiing Timberline has been great fun since the Perfect family took over. :-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2023
3,246 posts

Massanutten will be making snow all night tonight, Jan. 21.  Turned on the big fan gun (pointed very high) near the lodge even before the lifts closed at 9pm.

1674352594_wmxcgirqbjti.jpg

wgo
January 21, 2023
1,666 posts
Great! Work and other non-skiing obligations will keep me off the slopes until the end of the month. Hoping for cold and some snow over the next 2 weeks so I can catch up on my ski days in February!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 23, 2023
3,246 posts
Snowmaking starting up again at Massanutten.  Can see snowguns on already at 9:30pm on Jan. 23.  Dew point is down in the 20s.  More cold nights expected later this week.  Skiing on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Jan. 27-29 should be quite fun.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2023
3,246 posts

JimK wrote:

If you get a chance can you post a few shots coming down Mueller's Mile?  Thanks.

Mueller's Mile is so long, it's hard to figure out the best way to take pictures.  When I get about half-way down, I feel like I should be about done. :-)

View from the Ridge Triple (Lift 5), lights turned on manually by a patroller

1674536877_yvkwsysnhdxg.jpg

First big curve is pretty wide after the snow whales are groomed out, this section gets a lot of sun

1674536989_rzykmvmnbkzh.jpg

Gets narrower heading into the last curve

1674537065_pacmvjlzicfq.jpg

The merge at the bottom is a little tricky when there is race training on DJ

1674537134_ylzejlmixgkg.jpg

There are a few locals going uphill these days, these two were headed up Mueller's Mile

1674537191_cnqkfgzlfpwf.jpg

January 24, 2023
353 posts
Mueller's Mile looks a little like The Nile Mile at Camelback - eager to see for myself.
newbie2022
January 27, 2023
Member since 01/26/2023 🔗
13 posts

Could anyone give a recommendation for a difficulty hierarchy of the blue trails at massanutten? My partner and I are new to skiing and looking to go for a weekend sometime this season. Looking at the trail map and webcams, I'm a little worried that we'll be bored by lunchtime if we just lap Southern Comfort.

For reference we did Whitetail last weekend and can ski Sidewinder with no issues at all, but snowpark was too big of a jump up for us. We're trying to figure out if we'll be better off with a weekend or two somewhere else (maybe Bryce or Shawnee) that has longer or more varied/interesting greens so we don't feel stuck on Southern Comfort and Nutten-to-it.

wgo
January 27, 2023
1,666 posts
Currently Massanutten has 3 blue trails open. The easiest is probably Mass Transit. The other 2 open blues, Showtime and Mueller's Mile, each have aspects that could be tricky for a novice. Showtime is a bit steeper at the top but flattens out pretty quickly. Mueller's Mile is generally flat but has several switchbacks (which is what makes it fun).
bryantfsu93
January 27, 2023
Member since 01/29/2021 🔗
17 posts

I think going Upper ParaDice to Ridgecrest to Mass Transit might be the easiest blue combo.  It's also a nice length.  I think the top of showtime is a challenge if you are just making the jump to blues.

wgo
January 27, 2023
1,666 posts

Agreed - that has been skiing as a very nice low intermediate blue cruiser.

bryantfsu93 wrote:

I think going Upper ParaDice to Ridgecrest to Mass Transit might be the easiest blue combo.  It's also a nice length.  I think the top of showtime is a challenge if you are just making the jump to blues.

wgo
February 4, 2023
1,666 posts
New trail, The Slot, opens today. Really more of a short little trail to connect Diamond Jim to some of the new terrain but it looks to have decent pitch and every little bit helps.
February 4, 2023
353 posts
Did they ever get all the runs off of the Lift formerly known as 6 open?
wgo
February 4, 2023
1,666 posts

Not yet. Paradice is not open. The new runs really help, because even with Paradice closed there are still 3 lappable runs available from Lift 6 (plus the slot now for variety)

wfyurasko wrote:

February 4, 2023
353 posts

wgo wrote:

Not yet. Paradice is not open. The new runs really help, because even with Paradice closed there are still 3 lappable runs available from Lift 6 (plus the slot now for variety)

wfyurasko wrote:

Are they going to open it this season? I'm inclined to take a half-day down there like I did last year. If they don't open Paradice, I'm less likely to do so.

wgo
February 4, 2023
1,666 posts

I hope so! But I have no insight into the mountain ops plan. In the 20 years I have been in the area, I can't recall a season where Paradice (and MakAttack) did not open. At least for the seasons where I was paying attention. OTOH if the snow reports are to be believed that have not made any snow this season on the currently closed runs, and the next week looks to have few (if any) snowmaking opportunities. So we will need at least one more multi-day window of cold temps to get anything else open, I think (and hope that they can focus on opening new terrain and not shoring up existing open terrain, which would be the priority if needed).

wfyurasko wrote:

Are they going to open it this season? I'm inclined to take a half-day down there like I did last year. If they don't open Paradice, I'm less likely to do so.

rusty
February 4, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts
Has anyone here done Uphill travel at Massanutten? 

Never done uphill travel period but I just got a touring setup and figured I would head to Massanutten for a few hours tomorrow to give it a shot. Anyone have advice? 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2023
3,246 posts

newbie2022 wrote:

Could anyone give a recommendation for a difficulty hierarchy of the blue trails at massanutten? My partner and I are new to skiing and looking to go for a weekend sometime this season. Looking at the trail map and webcams, I'm a little worried that we'll be bored by lunchtime if we just lap Southern Comfort.

For reference we did Whitetail last weekend and can ski Sidewinder with no issues at all, but snowpark was too big of a jump up for us. We're trying to figure out if we'll be better off with a weekend or two somewhere else (maybe Bryce or Shawnee) that has longer or more varied/interesting greens so we don't feel stuck on Southern Comfort and Nutten-to-it.

The progression for blues at Massanutten starts with getting off at mid-station to ski Lower Showtime.  While taking Upper Paradice to Mass Transit is a blue route, Mass Transit can be icy.  It's also possible to go from Ridgecrest to Upper Showtime below the steep short headwall at the top.

Easy Street is the harder green.  It has more pitch and is used for beginner snowboarders.  When Meadow is open, that's another option for beginners.  Meadow is served by a long magic carpet.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2023
3,246 posts

rusty wrote:

Has anyone here done Uphill travel at Massanutten? 

Never done uphill travel period but I just got a touring setup and figured I would head to Massanutten for a few hours tomorrow to give it a shot. Anyone have advice? 

I suggest you stop by the ticket office to find out what the guidelines are. 

Never done it but have seen people touring up the new blue, Mueller's Mile.

1675565345_durkqlliwvxe.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

I hope so! But I have no insight into the mountain ops plan. In the 20 years I have been in the area, I can't recall a season where Paradice (and MakAttack) did not open. At least for the seasons where I was paying attention. OTOH if the snow reports are to be believed that have not made any snow this season on the currently closed runs, and the next week looks to have few (if any) snowmaking opportunities. So we will need at least one more multi-day window of cold temps to get anything else open, I think (and hope that they can focus on opening new terrain and not shoring up existing open terrain, which would be the priority if needed).

Given how much water and power is required to cover Mueller's Mile and Ridgecrest, it's hard to predict what will happen with Lower Paradice.

The new short black that runs off DJ and under the Peak lift opened up recently.  It's steeper than it looks from the lift.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2023
3,246 posts
What the ski school uses the top of Upper Showtime for is teaching kids to side slip.  In general, I won't take someone up the Peak lift unless they are willing to deal with Upper Showtime by some combination of side slipping and a few turns.  That was a firm decision before Mueller's Mile and Ridgecrest were added.  Still makes a good test.  Especially if snow conditions aren't the best on Mueller's Mile or Mass Transit.
wgo
February 7, 2023
1,666 posts
Made it out to Massanutten for the night session on Monday. The Slot is not yet lit for night skiing, but I was able to do 3 runs on it before patrol roped it off a bit after 5 pm. It is a short trail but it skis very well. It felt a tad steeper than the top of the Diamond Jim headwall, and the pitch felt a bit more sustained. It is also a north facing trail, so it should hold snow very well.
wgo
February 10, 2023
1,666 posts

Snow forecasts for this weekend all over the place. 

Snow-forecast:
1676045860_hevdmyabpjaa.jpg

OpenSnow:

1676045875_pmxskvkmvjiv.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2023
3,246 posts

While I look at OpenSnow daily for resorts where I'll be skiing later on in the season, for Massanutten I rely more on Brad of SkiSoutheast.  He not only looks at snow forecasts but also on snowmaking weather, which is more important in many ways for northern VA.

Calm Before The Weekend Kind Of Vibe - Feb. 10

wgo
February 10, 2023
1,666 posts

True, but a potential 8-10 inch snow event at Mnut is a rare thing and something to take advantage of.

marzNC wrote:

not only looks at snow forecasts but also on snowmaking weather, which is more important in many ways for northern VA.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

True, but a potential 8-10 inch snow event at Mnut is a rare thing and something to take advantage of.

marzNC wrote:

not only looks at snow forecasts but also on snowmaking weather, which is more important in many ways for northern VA.

Yep.  Have done that more than once when I wasn't skiing as much out west after MLK weekend.  Have made the drive up to Massanutten from my house three times to catch powder turns.

Deep snow at Massanutten, February 2010

1676082621_gbknnztuggog.jpg

1676082635_shljxcklamma.jpg

fatsalmon
February 11, 2023
Member since 10/15/2021 🔗
5 posts
I can’t tell by the weather report, is Mnut supposed to be raining tomorrow or snowing? Thinking of hitting it Sunday or Monday
wgo
February 11, 2023
1,666 posts

Probably a mix. There is one site (snow-forecast.com) that is calling for it to be mostly snow...every other site I have checked seems to think it will be more weighted towards rain.

wgo
February 13, 2023
1,666 posts
Mnut ending up closing around 3 on Sunday due to ice - hopefully most people had cleared out by then. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2023
3,246 posts

I see snowguns on as of 6pm on Friday, Feb. 17 at Massanutten.  Low is supposed to get into the 20s tonight.  Just in time for a refresh before the holiday weekend starts in earnest.  There were a fair number of people sliding down Southern Comfort this afternoon.

Having the two blue routes off the top is making a big difference for options available after a long warm spell before the middle of February.

ShredDMV
February 21, 2023
Member since 09/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

The season is what you make of it honestly, and agreeing it has definitely been poor conditions, but I've still been having a blast going around and skiing the Mid-Atlantic.  I suppose that's what a significant hiatus away from the sport will do to someone haha.  Enjoy the video from Mnut!  footage from 2/21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrgOWB3s21g

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2023
3,246 posts

ShredDMV wrote:

The season is what you make of it honestly, and agreeing it has definitely been poor conditions, but I've still been having a blast going around and skiing the Mid-Atlantic.  I suppose that's what a significant hiatus away from the sport will do to someone haha.  Enjoy the video from Mnut!  footage from 2/21

Sounds like you got a little taste of Massanutten but it was too warm to be really fun.  Hope you'll go back in better snow next season after the Peak lift is replaced with a high-speed detachable.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2023
3,246 posts

Pretty amazing that Massanutten managed to keep Easy Street (Geronimo) open this week.  Hope they get a chance to make snow tonight.

Massanutten Snow Conditions, February 24, 2023

Sunshine with highs in the upper 40's. Spring conditions - thin and narrow spots exist, ski and ride with caution. Snowmaking temps are forecasted for tonight and the Mt Ops team will be ready to take advantage of any opportunity mother nature gives us.  Night skiing and riding will close for the season on Saturday night.     

Snow Tubing is closed today.        

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2023 (edited February 25, 2023)
3,246 posts
It got cold enough for snowmaking last night at Massanutten!  Fan guns still on at the base as of 8:45am on Sat, Feb. 25.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2023
3,246 posts

Latest update from Massanutten at lunch time today makes it clear they intend to be open March 4-5 one way or another.

Massanutten Snow Conditions, February 26, 2023

12:20 Update: We will be suspending operations Wednesday - Friday this week with the plan of resuming operations on Saturday, Mar 4. Snowmaking temperatures are in the forecast for the weekend and we are looking forward to our Annual Snow Moon Fest on Mar 4th and 5th. More information coming soon.             

Sunshine with highs in the mid 50s. Spring conditions with thin and narrow spots, ski and ride with caution! Night skiing is closed for the season.     

Snow Tubing will be open today from 10:00am - 4:00pm selling two and four ride tickets vs the traditional 90 min session. Purchase in person at the Family Adventure Park.  

ShredDMV
February 28, 2023
Member since 09/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

Yeah!  Will definitely try it out next season as well!

marzNC wrote:

ShredDMV wrote:

Sounds like you got a little taste of Massanutten but it was too warm to be really fun.  Hope you'll go back in better snow next season after the Peak lift is replaced with a high-speed detachable.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2023
3,246 posts
Although Massanutten had to hold their Snow Moon Fest March 3-5 without any slopes open, looks like there will be a few slopes open this weekend.  Snowmaking at the base going full blast this morning at 8am, March 8.  Looks like it got under 30 degrees by 1am last night.  Supposed to be in the 20s on Thursday night too.
wgo
March 9, 2023
1,666 posts
From the MNut web page today:

"Unfortunately,  we will not open this weekend as hoped. We will continue to make snow as temps allow next week and plan to open Fri- Sun, Mar 17-19 from 9:00a – 5:00p."
tskski
March 9, 2023
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Sorry to read this. I was planning on going this weekend. 
rusty
March 10, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts
Man I was hoping to get a few uphill ski laps in but looks like more rain and they couldn't make enough snow. Darn
SeniorSki
March 11, 2023
139 posts
Hats off to Massanutten, they are trying to reopen. There are still a couple of storms in the pipeline, and 10 to 14 days of night time cold. I bet they open next weekend. Can do attitude. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2023
3,246 posts

It's official . . . Massanutten will open a few slopes March 17-19.  Won't have any access to the upper mountain because work to replace the old quad will be starting up.  Passholders from any other resort can get a day ticket for 50% off the late season rate.

Massanutten Conditions, March 14

Snowmaking is in progress and we are on track for our Thursday reopening. The Peak Quad will not be open this weekend. We will begin the removal process for it's replacement lift on Monday.  

The ski slopes will reopen Thursday, March 16 - Sunday, March 19 from 9 am - 5 pm! We will have the Creekside Quad, Ridge Triple and Sunkid Lifts open servicing Upper and Lower Showtime, Southern Comfort, and Paul's Way.

Late season rates and College Specials will be offered. As a bonus, Massanutten Season pass holders will be offered a FREE buddy slope-use ticket to bring a friend. Show your Massanutten Season Pass at the ticket window to receive your free slope-use ticket each day. Rental equipment is not included.

Additionally, Season Pass holders from any resort will receive a 50% discount for slope-use tickets

SeniorSki
March 15, 2023 (edited March 15, 2023)
139 posts
That is how you build a skier and resort relationship. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2023
3,246 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

That is how you build a skier and resort relationship. 

Yep.  Massanutten has been doing that since the early 1970s.  It's a natural fit for the Indy Pass.  The amount of investment in the last 15 years that I've been skiing at Massanutten is very impressive and is really paying off.  New lifts, more snowmaking, and even new terrain.  Can't wait for the high-speed chair that's being installed to replace the old Peak quad.

The Monday night cheap lift tickets are a weekly fundraiser for local charities.  Can get cheap rentals and have a beginner lesson.  Local families can get their kids started to see if it's worth investing in a season pass.

wgo
March 15, 2023
1,666 posts
I will probably go with a Mnut season pass next year, and just buy individual tickets when I go to timberline. Makes sense for me since I am an hour away from Mnut and with a season pass it is easier for me to justify getting out for a couple hours. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2023
3,246 posts

Massanutten has the basic two greens and all of Showtime open for March 16-19.  Expecting to be open for a last weekend on March 25-26 too.

Since Bryce re-opened too, someone with Indy days left could have a little fun at one or both places the next couple weekends.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

I will probably go with a Mnut season pass next year, and just buy individual tickets when I go to timberline. Makes sense for me since I am an hour away from Mnut and with a season pass it is easier for me to justify getting out for a couple hours. 

Since I qualify for senior rates and I'm skiing less at Mnut and more out west, I may just buy tickets as needed.

With the way Timberline gives a credit for mid-week, afternoon, and <4 hour ski days, I more likely to head there during my timeshare week at Mnut in early January.  Especially since I have $10 credit that will carry over to next season.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2023
3,246 posts
My friend who did a day trip to Massanutten from DC today said it felt pretty cold with the wind.  It was 22 degrees at 10am this morning when I checked the website.  She said there was side-to-side coverage top-to-bottom on Showtime.  She got 50% off for having an Epic pass.
wgo
March 20, 2023
1,666 posts
If they can open showtime again next weekend thinking of going with my wife for a couple hours. We have a trip to colorado first week of April and she has not skied at all this year (first time in a long while that haas happened). Might be good for her to get some turns before then. But the weather this week leading into the weekend does not look great.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2023
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

If they can open showtime again next weekend thinking of going with my wife for a couple hours. We have a trip to colorado first week of April and she has not skied at all this year (first time in a long while that haas happened). Might be good for her to get some turns before then. But the weather this week leading into the weekend does not look great.

Mnut was blowing snow late last night for sure when I checked the webcams.  With the cold temps forecast for tonight, they might be able to build up a decent base on Southern Comfort and Showtime that could get them through the weekend.  Whether or not it's worth the drive to ski soft snow is a different question.  Really depends on when the rain starts at the end of the week.  Could be a fun morning on Saturday as a warm up for the trip out west.

No commitment about March 25-26 yet.

Massanutten Conditions as of March 20

The ski slopes will be closed Monday, March 20 - Friday, March 24, 2023. We will reopen this weekend if conditions allow. Updates on our status will be posted later in the week.         

Late season rates and College Specials will be offered. As a bonus, Massanutten Season pass holders will be offered a FREE buddy slope-use ticket to bring a friend. Show your Massanutten Season Pass at the ticket window to receive your free slope-use ticket each day. Rental equipment is not included. Additionally, Season Pass holders from any resort will receive a 50% discount for slope-use tickets

wgo
March 20, 2023
1,666 posts
We are only an hour away. Definitely worth it for us to ski a couple hours, especially if we pair the outing with lunch at a local brewery. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2023
3,246 posts

It's official, Massanutten will have a few slopes open March 25-26, 2023 for a final weekend.  Sunday is forecast to be sunny and could be the day that's more fun.  Although light rain on Saturday could mean only a few people on Showtime.  Ideally, might be more rain in the valley than on the mountain.

1679586856_odohbnrmvben.jpg

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.