Drive from DC area
7 posts
7 users
2k+ views
meredithb_14
December 13, 2022
Member since 12/13/2022 🔗
8 posts
Does anyone have info on how the drive is from the DC area? I have a Honda Civic and I am afraid the drive up to snowshoe wouldn’t be ideal so wondering if timberline or Canaan valley would be any better? Thanks! 
snapdragon
December 14, 2022
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
go to the valley...other than the ~20 miles on 2 lane 55 it is all 4 lane interstate quality roads...you will be there in less than 3 hours from dc
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 14, 2022
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Greetings!

The resorts profiles on this website lists the drive times from the major areas at the bottom of the page.  

Canaan Valley Resort Resort Profile (dcski.com)

The19thHole
December 14, 2022 (edited December 14, 2022)
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

The drive to Snowshoe is highly dependent on the weather on that day. Sure, if it's snowing hard or if the roads up there are still snow covered from a recent storm, I wouldn't attempt the climb up to the top of the 'Shoe in a FWD car. The rest of the time you'd be fine in a Corvette with performance tires (actually, that would be preferable).

As others have said, the drive to Canaan Valley is much easier and doesn't offer the same mountain hill-climb challenge as the last 10 miles to the top of Snowshoe.

It's also important to note that, thanks to the upslope, it can be pounding away up at Snowshoe and in the Canaan Valley while it's sunny and dry in DC. So it's important to check what's going on before you leave.

Bird Dog
December 14, 2022
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

In addition to Silver Creek opening this weekend, more basin slopes at Snowshoe should be opening up too.

Snowshoe may be a challenge to get to, but once you're there, there's plenty of open slopes to ski/board.

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2022
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
I drove to Snowshoe years ago in a Sequoia AWD and last stretch was dicey given falling snow and icey patches.  Wife and kids didn’t help situation.  T-line definitely easier and shorter drive.  Keep in mind if you’re renting a house at top of mountain at T-line, chains are recommended/required. Otherwise lodge and parking at base are fine and treated regularly 
SeniorSki
December 17, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Looks like Canaan is open. Chair is running and skiers are on the slopes. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.