Please recommend private lesson instructor
10 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
8 posts

Greetings! My daughter is 7y old, she is level 7, and between type 2&3, had 3y experience on the slope, wants to improve carving and short turn skills, also better controls on the more challenging trails). Do you recommend any private instructor in the mid Atlantic area? ( fun mountain is a plus) 

Thank you. :) 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Goodol wrote:

Greetings! My daughter is 7y old, she is level 7, and between type 2&3, had 3y experience on the slope, wants to improve carving and short turn skills, also better controls on the more challenging trails). Do you recommend any private instructor in the mid Atlantic area? ( fun mountain is a plus) 

For weekends?  Have you ever skied at Mnut?

If Massanutten is an option, I have more than one Level 3 instructor I could recommend.  I or my daughter have worked with most of them in the past 15 years.  My daughter started at Mnut at age 4 when full-day ski school was an option.  Was skiing black terrain at Alta by age 10 after a few spring break trips.  

Bonzski
December 29, 2022
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Where do you live? Can you get to a ski area on a regular basis? 

She'll need more than one lesson. Lessons and mileage. 

Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2022
8 posts
Thank you :) Massanutten is definitely one of our choices. I will message you. 
Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2022
8 posts
Yes, she joined a ski team for the 1st year this winter. So she ski every weekend. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Goodol wrote:

When you say "level 7," what is that based on?  If her only experience is at Bryce, she may not be as advanced as you might think.  At age 7, my daughter started at Level 5 (of 9) at Alta Ski School (in Utah) and she had been skiing blacks in the southeast at speed for two seasons.  She moved to Level 6 after a full-day of ski school.  She didn't reach Level 7, which meant skiing blacks at Alta until a few years later.

By the way, Types 1, 2, 3 really does not necessarily reflect skiing ability.  It's used to decide how to set bindings.  A senior (over 50) advanced skier might want to choose Type 2 instead of Type 3.  An intermediate skiing out west in fresh snow might choose Type 3 to avoid "pre-release."

A growing child should have the DIN set based on Type 2.  Better for a binding to release than to have a higher risk of injury if a binding doesn't release during a fall.

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2023
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts
Consider Liz Ginexi at ski liberty. She used to coach kids race program at Liberty. Now she is heading women's adult development class at Liberty.   She is L3. 
Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2023
8 posts
Thank you. I will call Liberty. 
Goodol - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2023
8 posts
She mostly ski in Bryce this winter, because she joined in the team. But she also skied in Snowshoe or Timberline. We used to skied in Tahoe when she was little before we moved here. 

Regarding the type, I was trying to give information as much as possible. Thank you for your explanation. 
Crush
January 15, 2023
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Can't her race coach help? They are far better than rec skiing instructors. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?