Interconnect Tour - Utah
16 posts
7 users
3k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 18, 2023
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Has anyone done Interconnect Tour in Utah? Basically, you ski from Deer Valley to Snowbird via the backcountry hitting six ski area in the process.  The trip is guided, and beacons are provided.  No hiking or skinning but some "side stepping". I had thought about doing years ago probably should of then as it is twice and much now.... 

The Ski Utah Interconnect Tour - Backcountry Ski Tour - Ski Utah

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

Haven't done it but know a few people who have.  On a day with good visibility, people have a good time who are in decent shape and are comfortable skiing potentially deep untracked powder.

Can also start at Snowbird and head in the other directions.  Apparently starting at Snowbird requires more time on snow that's not skiing down.  That's what people do who stay at Alta Lodge.  On the website, says that public tour route is based on "initiating reservation."  Need at least 2 people for a tour to be scheduled.

"All participants must be advanced to expert skiers in good physical condition. The day requires walking, hiking, traversing, and of course skiing, but all this is done in diverse snow conditions. In the backcountry Mother Nature will decide the snow conditions, be confident your guides will search out the best conditions, as they want to ski quality too!"

Crush
January 18, 2023
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

At least take this before you go

continue.utah.edu

Have you ever executed a Rutschblock Test? Do you actually know how to use a beeper in search mode? This ain't Disney-land. Your guides will be great but they can't insure things. Think carefully about your conditioning and make sure you have maximum health insurance that can support a heli evac. I've had more than a few friends that needed it because of a simple mistake. Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

oldensign wrote:

Has anyone done Interconnect Tour in Utah? Basically, you ski from Deer Valley to Snowbird via the backcountry hitting six ski area in the process.  The trip is guided, and beacons are provided.  No hiking or skinning but some "side stepping". I had thought about doing years ago probably should of then as it is twice and much now.... 

The Ski Utah Interconnect Tour - Backcountry Ski Tour - Ski Utah

January 19, 2023
499 posts

Ski Utah Interconnect Tour - Ski Mag

It doesn't seem that hard core but thanks will look into it. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 19, 2023
3,250 posts

oldensign wrote:

Note that the article is from 2008.  The weather patterns in the Wasatch aren't quite the same in the 2020s.  Of course, every season is different when it comes to snow levels.

It's possible to see the historical snowfall for Alta on their website.  Can compare the current season with a past season going back at least ten years.

Crush
January 19, 2023 (edited January 19, 2023)
1,271 posts

I won't tell all of a funny story of sorts. So I did the U of U back country course in I think 2003. We did the usual tests on the snow pack at altitude and aspect; our guide Bruce said he checked the avalanche report and it was medium. I got to be the the guinea pig on the block test and it totally broke. Bruce said "... OK well I think the danger is high. Eric you go up and traverse first and don't stop, just keep going; we'll stay back here in the trees - don't make any noise ..." great - me I have to do it? 😓

oldensign wrote:

September
January 22, 2023
Member since 01/21/2023 🔗
2 posts

Don't be concerned about advancing pits and analyzing the snow column.  Your guides are there to do that for you.  Additionally, there is only one area that might be of concern if you start on the Park City side and that area has been controlled by Solitude Ski Patrol. 

Have a look in here prior to signing up.  https://www.kbyg.org/

Take the tour, you won't regret it.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2023
3,250 posts

September wrote:

Don't be concerned about advancing pits and analyzing the snow column.  Your guides are there to do that for you.  Additionally, there is only one area that might be of concern if you start on the Park City side and that area has been controlled by Solitude Ski Patrol. 

Have a look in here prior to signing up.  https://www.kbyg.org/

Take the tour, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the link to Know Before You Go!

I'm only interested in lift-served skiing or in-bounds short hikes but did a fair amount of reading to increase my "avalanche awareness" when I started going out gates at Alta for terrain such as Catherine's about ten years ago.  I saw the avy debris in person a week after the Kachina Peak slide that killed two guests in-bounds at Taos a few years ago.  My Alta instructor (lives in NC when not teaching at Alta) always skis with a beacon, even in-bounds.

The initial focus of KBYG was on educating middle school kids in Utah but it's clearly evolved into a great online resource since 2004.  The online course dates from 2018.

KBYG Avalanche Awareness - About

September
January 22, 2023 (edited January 22, 2023)
Member since 01/21/2023 🔗
2 posts

"My Alta instructor (lives in NC when not teaching at Alta) always skis with a beacon, even in-bounds."  

I know him well.  Hardscaper and artist by trade.

Crush
January 23, 2023
1,271 posts

I've seen in-bounds avalanches causing serious injuries or death ( like in the former Canyons off of 9990, or the one that killed Jamie Pierre at Snowbird although they were not officially open). I almost bought it near the Gad 2 lift. Stay Safe!

September wrote:

"My Alta instructor (lives in NC when not teaching at Alta) always skis with a beacon, even in-bounds."  

I know him well.  Hardscaper and artist by trade.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2023
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I wear a beacon inbounds at big mountains in the west.  I never want to be the subject of a media story that goes, ‘they found his beacon in his pack in the base lodge’.  
Crush
January 26, 2023
1,271 posts

Smart move bro! People take things too lightly. 

Denis wrote:

I wear a beacon inbounds at big mountains in the west.  I never want to be the subject of a media story that goes, ‘they found his beacon in his pack in the base lodge’.  
bob
January 29, 2023
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Did it way back in 1995. Park City to Alta. Dropped OB from the top of the Jupiter chair. Yes it was worth doing and yes you need to be in good shape.

And yes deadly inbound avys do happen. 20 or so years ago a May slush slide off the Pali  lift at A-Basin killed a skier, and 2-3 years ago a slide at Taos' Kachina lift also let loose killing at least 1.

wgo
January 30, 2023
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Rode up on a lift at A-basin last season with a skier who was telling me about that. The run is now named for the skier who died.

bob wrote:

20 or so years ago a May slush slide off the Pali  lift at A-Basin killed a skier

March 23, 2023
499 posts

The interconnect tour was awesome!!!!.

Article forth coming. 

If anyone is interested use the code :  again_plz for a discount! 

Crush
March 24, 2023
1,271 posts

Nicccce! I take it there were no mishaps and you just got to enjoy!

oldensign wrote:

The interconnect tour was awesome!!!!.

Article forth coming. 

If anyone is interested use the code :  again_plz for a discount! 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.