Parking at Copper Mountain
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
March 5, 2023 (edited March 5, 2023)
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I love Copper Mountain, as do a lot a members on this forum. I'm out here now. Besides the mountain, it was nice to know that you could park for free and take a convenient shuttle to the slopes and Center Village.

But now it looks like free parking will be coming to an end. They say it's being considered for several reasons, one of which is to encourage carpooling and public transportation which will reduce crowds.  The idea of encouraging folks to ride the summit stage shuttle from Frisco to Copper is ludicrous.  The shuttle runs one bus an hour from the Transit Center in Frisco.  How could this be a reasonable alternative to driving?

IMO, it's just a way for them to get more money from skiers while saying things to hide their real intentions.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/coppers-alpine-lot-could-charge-for-parking-next-season-following-a-land-use-change-by-summit-county-officials/

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 5, 2023 (edited March 5, 2023)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I used the Copper free  lots in Jan.  I used to think their motivation was like you think when the resorts go to paid parking.  But here in Utah esp at places like Solitude and Alta I no longer think it's a money grab.  Parking is so tight that it is better to pay and/or reserve a spot than go through a lot of traffic to get shut out of any parking at all.  It's survival.  Good thing is that in about two weeks it will all ease back into mellow time when the volume of people dies down and living/skiing is good:-)
Moe Gull
March 5, 2023
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts
Breck charges, Vail charges, they are surrounded by it how could their marketing team not charge. OH well.
rbrtlav
March 6, 2023 (edited March 6, 2023)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Moe Gull wrote:

Breck charges, Vail charges, they are surrounded by it how could their marketing team not charge. OH well.

Steamboat, winter park, keystone, a basin all have at least some free parking. It would be disappointing if copper gets rid of free parking, especially on non holiday weekdays. 

Passes are starting to go on sale very soon, if they are going to charge next season they really should at least mention it as a possibility on their website or social media before people make choices.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2023
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I rode the Summit Stage this morning from Frisco to Copper.  I got on at first stop and by the time we got to I-70 the bus was standing room only.  This is on a Monday.  I can only imagine what it would be like on a weekend.  

How in the world could Copper be suggesting this as an alternative to driving?  There is no excess capacity.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.