Summer 2023 Area Upgrades
53 posts
25 users
10k+ views
msprings
March 9, 2023
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

I’ve been listening to the Storm Skiing Podcast and they recently interview the GM of the Vail LH Trio (7S, HV, LM), and the COO of Pacific Group Resorts (Wisp & Wintergreen). There were some mentions of upgrades in both episodes, so I thought that starting a new thread might be a good idea. Some upcoming upgrades:

7 Springs:   Adding trees to separate Lost Boy from Alpine and North Face, along with Snowmaking upgrades.

Hidden Valley: Nothing

Laurel Mountain: Nothing

WISP: Some mention of replacing the WISP Chair 1 before the double-triple with a significant upgrade. Maybe High Speed 4?

Anyone know of any other panned upgrades this upcoming offseason?

Grumpy dad
March 9, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Hmm, there are already trees along lost boy from top to bottom, unless they mean the very top then that would be like maybe ...5 trees ?

Quite the list of improvements for the laurel highlands.  Total investment , $25 bucks. 

msprings wrote:

I’ve been listening to the Storm Skiing Podcast and they recently interview the GM of the Vail LH Trio (7S, HV, LM), and the COO of Pacific Group Resorts (Wisp & Wintergreen). There were some mentions of upgrades in both episodes, so I thought that starting a new thread might be a good idea. Some upcoming upgrades:

7 Springs:   Adding trees to separate Lost Boy from Alpine and North Face, along with Snowmaking upgrades.

WISP: Some mention of replacing the WISP Chair 1 before the double-triple with a significant upgrade. Maybe High Speed 4?

GGNagy
March 10, 2023
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

I know that some people scoff at the idea that everything is not already fully meshed with high speed internet, but anyone that knows the relative remoteness of Laurel Mountain (which sits on State Park Land) knows that an internet upgrade would be an important improvement to the ski area. Hopefully they will be improve the power utility infrastructure to the ski area as well.  

Grumpy dad wrote:

Hmm, there are already trees along lost boy from top to bottom, unless they mean the very top then that would be like maybe ...5 trees ?

Quite the list of improvements for the laurel highlands.  Total investment , $25 bucks. 

msprings wrote:

teleman
March 10, 2023
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Massanutten will be replacing the number six chair with a high speed detachable quad. 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Patf1engineer
March 10, 2023
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

The power limitations at Laurel are known to management and I believe they will be working to address that, however that is not entirely up to them either. Getting power to the resort addressed gives them the ability to install more outlets for portable fan guns and would be very beneficial especially in known problem areas. Patrol has also expressed concerns over lighting along the chair line if we ever had to do an evac.

GGNagy wrote:

I know that some people scoff at the idea that everything is not already fully meshed with high speed internet, but anyone that knows the relative remoteness of Laurel Mountain (which sits on State Park Land) knows that an internet upgrade would be an important improvement to the ski area. Hopefully they will be improve the power utility infrastructure to the ski area as well.  

rbrtlav
March 10, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Snowshoe is putting in a fixed grip quad to replace the powder monkey triple.
msprings
11 months ago
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

From Seven Springs:

"In early May, Seven Springs Mountain Resort will begin work on several projects on and around a section of Village Trail. The scope of this project includes enhancements to the snowmaking system and the installation of new snowmaking guns and LED lights. We expect this project to conclude later this summer. For your safety and the safety of our team and partners, please keep away from the site and equipment. Thank you for your partnership and support of the resort and the project."

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
11 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Last year at HV the snow tubing was closed supposedly for a safety issue and the poor condition Mauch/Nutting left the snow tubing lodge. Additionally, they need to finish the ski lodge deck construction which includes installation of a stone veneer on the block foundation wall they built. The rear wall of the ski lodge has substantial rotting siding and trim that needs to be replaced. They have been touching up the exterior painting. I assume these are generally considered 'maintenance' projects and not upgrades or improvements. But it needs to get done.

As far as Laurel, it would be nice if they could get a few more portable fan guns to open terrain that does not have fixed stick guns. Not sure if that is in the works, though? 

Bonzski
10 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Not going to happen this summer, but the Timberline and CVR area homeowners will be happy with this news....

Washington, DC – Today, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), member of the Senate Appropriations Committee and Chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, announced $12,037,000 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the Canaan Valley Public Service District and the Hodgeville Public Service District. The funding will support upgrading and improving water infrastructure in Davis, Buckhannon and the surrounding communities.

Individual awards listed below:

• $8,000,000 – Canaan Valley Public Service District, Davis
    • This funding will be used to construct a new water treatment plant, which will serve the Timberline Four Seasons Resort, Beaver Ridge Resort, Northpoint Homeowners Association, North Lake Homeowners Association and Black Bear Woods Resort.
  • $4,037,000 – Hodgeville Public Service District, Buckhannon
    • This funding will be used to replace approximately 1,200 water meters and approximately 21,500 linear feet of main water line, as well as install new water storage tanks and booster pump stations.

chaga
10 months ago
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

canaan repairing water lines

timberline adding more fixed polecat gun towers. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

teleman wrote:

Massanutten will be replacing the number six chair with a high speed detachable quad. 

On May 24, Mnut posted video on Facebook of the helicopter flying the towers in place for the new lift.  Can see the lower ones in place on the webcam.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

marzNC wrote:

teleman wrote:

On May 24, Mnut posted video on Facebook of the helicopter flying the towers in place for the new lift.  Can see the lower ones in place on the webcam.

Teleman and marzNC, it’s really exciting that The ‘Nut is installing a high speed detachable quad to the summit. I enjoyed trying out the new trails this past season; they provide so much more variety in terrain and scenery.

And, in early January 2024, I’ll pay a mere $19 for my season’s pass there. Thanks Massanutten! 

Enjoying each month but thinking snow. ⛷️ 

Woody

teleman
10 months ago
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

For decades, I’ve been wanting a trail under 6.  I hope they let it bump up.  It was skied in 93 and 96 after the big storms.  Looking forward to this finally becoming a reality.

bousquet19 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

teleman wrote:

Teleman and marzNC, it’s really exciting that The ‘Nut is installing a high speed detachable quad to the summit. I enjoyed trying out the new trails this past season; they provide so much more variety in terrain and scenery.

And, in early January 2024, I’ll pay a mere $19 for my season’s pass there. Thanks Massanutten! 

Woody

JimK - DCSki Columnist
10 months ago
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Woody

Woody, let's have a 70th birthday party ski day at Massanutten next January :-)

Crush
10 months ago
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
amazing - not
10 months ago
778 posts

JimK wrote:

Bousquet19 wrote:

(snip) … And, in early January 2024, I’ll pay a mere $19 for my season’s pass there. Thanks Massanutten! 

Woody

Great idea JimK! 

A gathering of former sexagenarians at Massanutten. 😃 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

JimK wrote:

Bousquet19 wrote:

(snip) … And, in early January 2024, I’ll pay a mere $19 for my season’s pass there. Thanks Massanutten! 

Jim and Woody,

you youngun’s, any chance an octogenarian get in on the day at Massanutten?!!

The Colonel       Morgan Birge

Woody

Great idea JimK! 

10 months ago (edited 10 months ago)
778 posts

The Colonel wrote:

bousquet19 wrote:

JimK wrote:

Bousquet19 wrote:

Jim and Woody,

you youngun’s, any chance an octogenarian get in on the day at Massanutten?!!

The Colonel       Morgan Birge

Woody

Great idea JimK! 

Of course, Colonel!

The more ‘generians the better!

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
3,245 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

The more ‘generians the better!

Woody

Oh good, I've got a few more years before I qualify for 70+ discounts.  :-)

If you decide to meet up during the week of Jan. 8, I'll be at Massanutten then for my annual stay.

10 months ago
778 posts

JimK, The Colonel, and marzNC,

A meetup at Massanutten next season sounds great, whether it’s on my birthday (January 5) or some time later. 

Let’s move any further discussion, if needed, to PMs so this thread about Summer 2023 improvements can get back on track. If there are any announcements to make about meetups, we can start a new thread when the time comes.

Woody

Thefirewarde
8 months ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
Further details on 7S snowmaking - I hear they're getting at least two new trails of HKD towers, possibly with Klik hydrants. Tyrol and Alpine/Spot were mentioned.
msprings
8 months ago
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
Tyrol has already received new HKD orange head sticks. I don’t know the specific type of hkd gun. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)
3,245 posts

There are a few pictures of the new detachable lift on the Massanutten Facebook page.  The chairs are hung in the parking section.  Also the pipes for communication cable and snowmaking water in the trench.

msprings
7 months ago
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
I saw Hidden Valley got a couple new fan guns from their IG page.
7 months ago
1,576 posts

Yes, 4 new Techno Alpine TR8 fan guns were installed to replace the old TA fan guns that had worn out. The whole system is completely automated and can be run from a computer terminal. Last year they added 6 new portable HKD KLIK stick guns. 

1693846134_lpevigxgusao.jpg

needawax
7 months ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
36 posts
Looks like HV's ye olde sunrise and sunset lifts got some fresh paint, too.
Patf1engineer
7 months ago (edited 7 months ago)
61 posts

Timberline has continued to replace and upgrade pipe including addressing issues on Almost Heaven which was not open much last season. I have heard they want to be able to simultaneously operate up to 85% of their guns when done. Have also heard some chatter that they have been doing some cleanup in glade areas. 

Wisp has also had some posts on their Facebook page about pipe replacement and other snowmaking work.

Patf1engineer
7 months ago
61 posts

Now if they could get them to go faster and not stop every 30 seconds...... 

needawax wrote:

Looks like HV's ye olde sunrise and sunset lifts got some fresh paint, too.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
3,245 posts

Stopped by Massanutten on the way to Lake Placid a few weeks ago.  The Creekside lift was running for tourist rides so I got a chance to see the base of the new detachable quad up close.  The load test had been completed a few days before.  The goal is to have Summit running for fall colors.

1693940451_gfwyjtqtshum.jpg

wgo
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Video of the new lift at Mnut - I think you need a Facebook account to view. It will be open tomorrow, Sept 9!

https://fb.watch/mXqg_fW_nq/?mibextid=Nif5oz

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

Video of the new lift at Mnut - I think you need a Facebook account to view. It will be open tomorrow, Sept 9!

https://fb.watch/mXqg_fW_nq/?mibextid=Nif5oz

How cool!  Looks like the ride will be about 4 minutes.  That's about half as long as the old fixed-grip quad.  It will be running for scenic rides every weekend before ski season starts.

Apparently the contract for the lift was signed back in January 2022.

Massanutten Resort Replaces Lift Six, Offers First Scenic Rides This Weekend - Sept. 7, 2023

padjaski68
6 months ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts

Is it me or is the mid-Atlantic areas quiet this summer on upgrades. Only Blue Mountain and Manasutten have actively been posting on their social media pages. Snowshoe hasn't provide any updates on the new quad or snowmaking upgrades they announced or anything about the replacement for Shavers.

Yes 7 Springs an Hidden Valley replaced some equipment and piping.

Hopefully we will seen more announcements soon. 

Patf1engineer
6 months ago
61 posts

padjaski68 wrote:

Is it me or is the mid-Atlantic areas quiet this summer on upgrades. Only Blue Mountain and Manasutten have actively been posting on their social media pages. Snowshoe hasn't provide any updates on the new quad or snowmaking upgrades they announced or anything about the replacement for Shavers.

Yes 7 Springs an Hidden Valley replaced some equipment and piping.

Hopefully we will seen more announcements soon. 

I have never understood the refusal of so many resorts to make any attempt to communicate with their customers. You would think with the amount of negative comments that some of them get online they would try to do some level of rumor  control or just let people know what’s going on. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
6 months ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I think Snowshoe is in a tough spot with that new lift. I read a post from a homeowners meeting that said that lift will not be ready until mid Dec. If that is the case, the basin area is going to be a nightmare for the early season.

padjaski68 wrote:

Snowshoe hasn't provide any updates on the new quad or snowmaking upgrades they announced or anything about the replacement for Shavers.

eggraid
6 months ago
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

They rely on snowmaking so much in the early season, I think they will be able to work around a lift they know will not be running, they usually only have 4 top-to bottom runs open in that time of year. If they can get it open before Christmas (late December) I think most skiers would be perfectly content.  

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I think Snowshoe is in a tough spot with that new lift. I read a post from a homeowners meeting that said that lift will not be ready until mid Dec. If that is the case, the basin area is going to be a nightmare for the early season.

padjaski68 wrote:

Snowshoe hasn't provide any updates on the new quad or snowmaking upgrades they announced or anything about the replacement for Shavers.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
6 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Summer 2023 Area Upgrades, Laurel Mountain:

1696171681_rbexxbegyqjp.jpg

Bonzski
6 months ago (edited 6 months ago)
652 posts

eggraid wrote:

They rely on snowmaking so much in the early season, I think they will be able to work around a lift they know will not be running, they usually only have 4 top-to bottom runs open in that time of year. If they can get it open before Christmas (late December) I think most skiers would be perfectly content.  

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

padjaski68 wrote:

I agree Egg, the PM lift doesn't factor in until Christmas, and that's only if Western Territory is open. You can access everything in the northern pod, except lower PM trail & whistlepunk, using the Grabhammer & Powderidge lifts.

6 months ago
1,576 posts

Looks like it needs a second cut and regular mowing in the future. 

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Summer 2023 Area Upgrades, Laurel Mountain:

1696171681_rbexxbegyqjp.jpg

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
6 months ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I've been peeking at the Skidder Webcam today. You can see the chopper setting the new lift tower today.

Here's a pic from some guy on Facebook

385066456_10160864965073389_5368585890964579331_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=4c1e7d&_nc_ohc=vC3HL9N1aNIAX80t_QK&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AfB4xwuwCEZC1J7arGmiJ9fmcU4AlXYMm5Vjv061JL8n4g&oe=65212CC2  

swoop
6 months ago
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts

Thanks Blue Don, this is encouraging especially just after UCI, thanks for the pic keep em coming!

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I've been peeking at the Skidder Webcam today. You can see the chopper setting the new lift tower today.

Here's a pic from some guy on Facebook

385066456_10160864965073389_5368585890964579331_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=4c1e7d&_nc_ohc=vC3HL9N1aNIAX80t_QK&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AfB4xwuwCEZC1J7arGmiJ9fmcU4AlXYMm5Vjv061JL8n4g&oe=65212CC2  

swoop
6 months ago
64 posts

August 15, 2023 – Crossarm structures that attach to the top of lift towers

swoop
6 months ago
64 posts
https://blog.snowshoemtn.com/discover-snowshoe/powder-monkey-lift-replacement/
Crush
6 months ago
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
that so does not suck!
wrayc21
6 months ago
Member since 02/22/2023 🔗
4 posts

snowshoemtn.com

Snowshoe now charges for essentially all parking. Just further screwing over enthusiasts / day skiers. All part of the plan. Thanks Alterra for giving us two 10-car lots for free!

swoop
6 months ago
64 posts

1696684519_kdrhrohdfdje.jpg

swoop
6 months ago
64 posts

October 13, 2023 – New lift towers and loading conveyor belt. Next up is terminal and haul rope installation.

ZARDOG
6 months ago
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

liftblog.com  2024 installs,  also see some 2025 installs planned.

Large improvements have to be planned and permitted.

Last 2 years many lift replacements and capacity upgrades.

2 Billion dollars for the industry. 

Keep in mind many experienced staff and mgmt have retired. Good news if you are looking for a career.

Zardog

swoop
5 months ago
64 posts

1697936115_qnoauqftedul.jpg

swoop
5 months ago
64 posts

1697936274_zzqsiyhygrvc.jpg

Bonzski
5 months ago
652 posts
Looks like they raised the grade of the upper terminal quite a bit. Nearly on level with main road?
BaySailor - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 03/7/2021 🔗
17 posts

Whitetail Upgrades / Changes

Over the summer, Whitetail continued to replace a lot of snowmaking piping on Angel Drop.  They also did a big repair on the high speed quad which should correct some of spacing issues they were having last winter with the chairs causing a lot of stoppages on the lift especially in the mornings. 

As far snowmaking, they replaced the air compressor that failed which will give them full snowmaking capacity again.  They were running without that compressor for the past two seasons.

The Solstice restaurant upstairs will not be opening but they are moving the bar downstairs where the coffee shop is.  They will still have the coffee shop in the morning but it will turn into more of a bar in the afternoons.  Food will also be served there and it will be open everyday.

The resort's hours will remain the same as last year. 

Thefirewarde
5 months ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

In their weather situation I can't see how you don't fix your compressors as a priority item. Blue has nine compressors, for instance, and they have done major repair work in season so as to have full power available *for March*.

How do you take a - ballpark - 10% hit to your air capacity and not fix it over summer, in their weather situation?!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
3,245 posts

From the Wisp website:

NEW FOR WINTER 2023-24

• A total of 22 NEW TL8 TechnoAlpin snowmaking guns to provide more permanent coverage on Possum, The Face, and in the base area
  • ALL snowmaking equipment is automated state-of-the-art for fast start-up, self-adjusting snow quality, and quicker shut down
  • Over 2,800 feet of new snowmaking pipe across the frontside of the mountain
  • NEW energy efficient lighting on The Face and Squirrel Cage trails
  • Additional NEW ski and snowboard Rossignol rental equipment
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?