Looking for advice about Alyeska AK
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
jimw
10 months ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
115 posts
Has anybody on here been to this resort?  I was wondering about the snow quality.  Is it wet/heavy like the PNW?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,255 posts

A ski buddy of mine likes to do late season trips to Alyeska, meaning in April.  She used to live in Columbia, MD and is in Philadelphia now.  Her DH isn't much into skiing but likes spending time in Alaska so has gone with her on those trips.  My impression is that the snow isn't the same as in the PacNW.

TR Alyeska, April 19 - 23 and Heli ski day

jimw
10 months ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
115 posts
Thanks so much for the feedback and sharing your friend's trip report.  
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
9 months ago (edited 9 months ago)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
926 posts
That Ski Diva review is very good especially with the heli details.    I have only been to Alyeska in summer.   From the top the frontside is *steep*.  Yike.  The main bowl is relatively tame and fortunately much higher altitude than the base.  I think the main thing about such a trip is to have an Alaskan experience, not just Alyeska.  There is so much to see and do from Anchorage to Seward, or even the very long drive up to Denali winter visitor center, where they have this informative text: "The first snow may fall in July or August, but true winter doesn't set in until September or October."  wow. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
9 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,255 posts

pagamony wrote:

I have only been to Alyeska in summer.   From the top the frontside is *steep*.  Yike.  The main bowl is relatively tame and fortunately much higher altitude than the base.  I think the main thing about such a trip is to have an Alaskan experience, not just Alyeska.  There is so much to see and do from Anchorage to Seward, or even the very long drive up to Denali winter visitor center, where they have this informative text: "The first snow may fall in July or August, but true winter doesn't set in until September or October."  wow. 

Only time I've been in Alaska was at the end of a cruise that started in Vancouver and ended in Anchorage.  We rented an SUV for 4 days and drove to Denali.  Easy drive in good weather.  We were lucky to see the start of fall colors on the drive to the park.  We stayed right by the entrance.  Spent one day enjoying a pre-arranged day trip tour into the park.  By the time we drove back, it had snowed on the mountain top and the leaves were gone.  That was in the third week of August and it was the last week of the summer season at Denali.

kwillg6
8 months ago
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts

Skied there two winters ago.  BIG place and many options for skiing.  To the top, you need to be advanced/expert. Intermediate can be skied from. the top of the gondola but is mostly to the skier's right looking up.  Snow amounts are ample.  Two years ago there was over 600" but no snow the week we were there until the day we left which coincided with the start of the Iditeroid and the biggest party in the state on that Saturday in Anchorage.  Fly Air Alaska and do it!  Great trip!

Dean
7 months ago
Member since 12/8/2022 🔗
6 posts

Never been. The comment about experiencing alaska resonates with me. 

Have had thoughts of going in hopes of also seeing the aurora. IIRC, the equinoxes usually seasonally higher activity. 

Anyone have any first hands experience? 

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
926 posts

Dean wrote:

Never been. The comment about experiencing alaska resonates with me. 

Have had thoughts of going in hopes of also seeing the aurora. IIRC, the equinoxes usually seasonally higher activity. 

Anyone have any first hands experience? 

That would be fun.  On July 4 week, all the way up to Deadhorse, no aurora seen :(.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?