Timberline/Canaan Around Christmas
19 posts
13 users
3k+ views
Keith_Moon
7 months ago
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

We're thinking about going up to the Davis area to hit those two resorts around Christmas.  Not sure whether before or after the 25th.

We've never been to either.  We live south of Chapel Hill NC and have been to Snowshoe many times so I'm well acquainted with those roads.  It looks like the best way to drive up to the Davis area runs through Harrisonburg, which is pretty cut and dried for me, as I go north to Canada on I-81 almost every year.  How are the roads (33 and 32) after Harrisonburg?

Seems like the consensus is that Timberline has rebounded nicely under the Perfect family but Canaan is a little lackluster.  Is that about right?

I like the idea of trying Timberline but if Canaan is not so great then I don't know that it's worth it to make that drive.  It seems that Timberline by itself may well be better than any of the resorts in NC, VA or southern WV but I don't believe it's "drive twice as far" better.

To answer the obvious question, we don't want to go to Snowshoe because we've been a million times and just want to try something different.

Any recs on accommodations for 4?  I looked a the Timberline Hotel but it's either all booked or the system just isn't taking reservations yet.

Patf1engineer
7 months ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

In my opinion, Timberline is better than anything at Snowshoe other than Western Territory although it is smaller and somewhat less variety. Canaan is highly dependent on natural snow, their snowmaking has been suspect the last few years. I would expect both to be crowded over the holiday.

Lodging is very limited at Timberline, however there are a number of private rentals in the area. The lodge at Canaan is not bad also. It is not nearly as built up as Snowshoe and not such a "tourist trap". Much more laid back.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

Agree that driving up to Timberline seems like it's not worth the effort from Chapel Hill.  However, compared to the crowds at Snowshoe during that holiday week it would probably still be worth doing once.  Especially if you could book a house right on one of the trails.  Being able to send out the kids after supper to ski a few runs under the lights might be an experience everyone would enjoy.

I usually drive to Davis from Massanutten and stay at least one night.  I've gone over the mountains on US33.  The longer route via I-81 to US48 is better.  The timing is almost the same.

Canaan Valley terrain is interesting.  The lifts are slow.  The advantage of CV over the NC resorts is that there aren't as many people on busy days. However, very hard to say how much terrain will be open by late December.

wgo
7 months ago (edited 7 months ago)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts

I would not count on CV having anything worth skiing open by Christmas. TL should have at least 4 or 5 legit top to bottom (1000 ft) runs open.

Already noted but I second the recommendation to check out the Canaan Valley lodge for lodging. Another option: the Billy motel in Davis is clean and well run with a cool vibe but probably a bit small if you are skiing with a family (although I have done this with my family of 4).

Like marzNC said if you are coming up I-81 you can cut out much of the mountain driving by taking US-48. Go 10 miles or so past the rt 33 exit and take rt 259 up to US-48. Take that west to Davis then 10 miles south on rt 32

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
7 months ago
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Hey Keith.  Welcome to the C-T debate.  I'll give you my history.  Did the shoe back in the 80s and 90s when we first became instuctors to support our skiing habit.  We jumped to Timberline in 94 and bought a 1 Br condo within walking distance without ever having skied the mountain (best move we ever made).  Had skied CV many times back in it's hay day and never had a bad day there.  Fast forward... Now am retired, own a house which we live in at Timberline but have worked as the ski school director last year at Canaan and before that at Timberline Four Seasons Resort as an instructor.   Most of the statements made here are accurate and unless we have a natural dump, CV will be only 30-50% open Timberline has state of the art snowmaking and should be 100% by then.  Down side is they only have one lift to the top which can see lines but that is no different from what you experience at snowshoe. There are many housing options in the valley but you need to move fast as most may be rented  by now for that week. Slopeside at Timberline is Northwoods Condos and a number of houses. On a side note... don't dismiss Whitegrass for cross country and nordic skiing if there is natural snow.  Amazing place with a down home vibe and good lunches.   The Valley is very different in all ways from the shoe and I highly recommend giving it a try.  

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
7 months ago
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
In addition to all the previous suggestions, check out rentals and hotels/inns in Davis/Thomas. Also, the newly renovated lodge at Blackwater State Park Lodge.
ultragib - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago (edited 7 months ago)
Member since 01/4/2017 🔗
15 posts
While we are on the subject of Snowshoe....is it just me, or have lodging costs skyrocketed?  We took off going there last season, and when I was looking for some lodging mid-January 2024 (non-holiday, mid-week, Wednesday to Saturday), it's about $400-$500 per night for Mountain Lodge-type one bedroom after all the fees and taxes on VRBO.  I know that's private renters, but we've been going there for years through VRBO and paying like $200-300 per night for a one bedroom mid-week.  Curious if I just am late to the game this year, or post-COVID, things have gone crazy.
Bonzski
7 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

ultragib wrote:

While we are on the subject of Snowshoe....is it just me, or have lodging costs skyrocketed?  We took off going there last season, and when I was looking for some lodging mid-January 2024 (non-holiday, mid-week, Wednesday to Saturday), it's about $400-$500 per night for Mountain Lodge-type one bedroom after all the fees and taxes on VRBO.  I know that's private renters, but we've been going there for years through VRBO and paying like $200-300 per night for a one bedroom mid-week.  Curious if I just am late to the game this year, or post-COVID, things have gone crazy.

COVID real estate sales frenzy doubled & tripled prices at all resorts. Then add inflation of carrying costs: utilities, maintenance & insurance costs. It's no surprise.  I'm hearing summer rentals were slow compared to previous recent years so it will be interesting to see how the winter season goes.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
I like the rental houses in the old Timberline section -- the drive to the slope is short and parking has not been a problem (yet).  However, I agree with the above comment that just in the last two years rental prices have skyrockted - no better than out west now.  Northwoods is really great if you can get it.  I have found some rentals at the local real estate companies, not just the vrbos.  

However, as you know by now, skiing down here is not gaurenteed, especialy early.  I have been skunked up there once, so suggest always have a plan b.  
Mongo
5 months ago
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

I just booked for January weekends and the quoted price of $223/night for low-end lodging (1BR in TOTW) is reasonable BUT all the other ridiculous bullshit (county tax, departure clean, resort surcharge, resort fee, state tax) is another $290 total, and therefore $223 a night comes to $320 a night when all is said and done. You can't help but feel you're being ripped off, tbh.

ultragib wrote:

snapdragon
5 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
do you mean $97 in "fees" for a total of $320/night or $290 in "fees" which would be $513/night... 
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,581 posts

Just looked this up:

Snowcrest STUDIO (yes studio) that sleeps 4, weekend 1/26 - 28, Snowshoe website 224 per night * 2 = 448.

After tax and fees it's 666.54

Yikes!!!! Mom and Dad do not even get their own bedroom.

snapdragon wrote:

do you mean $97 in "fees" for a total of $320/night or $290 in "fees" which would be $513/night... 
Shotmaker
5 months ago
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts
Only 1 & 2 bedrooms at Snowcrest. 
Mongo
5 months ago (edited 5 months ago)
98 posts

$223 per night for the room plus $290 in total taxes/fees. For three nights the taxes/fees are $290/3 = $97/night. 

Taxes and fees are thirty percent of the total lodging cost!

snapdragon wrote:

Mongo
5 months ago
98 posts

Just looked at AirBnB from Vermont last winter. $731 in cleaning fee, service fee, occupancy taxes and fees for five nights. Taxes and fees were 27% of the lodging total.

Feeling pretty good about only paying $328 in taxes and fees for seven nights in Maine - merely 15% of the lodging total - but this was the resort hotel not an AirBnB.

Guess that's just the way life is now...

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,581 posts

My Bad - wrong crest - Mountain Crest - I was overwhelmed with the fees - haha

Shotmaker wrote:

Only 1 & 2 bedrooms at Snowcrest. 
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Just look at the total.  They way it is charged is just BS marketing.  
Bonzski
5 months ago (edited 5 months ago)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Anyone use this rental firm yet?

https://booking.mountaintopcondos.com/

snapdragon
5 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

hotels...know before you go

backcountry...don't know unless you go

parks...go if you know...don't if you don't

the cost breakdown let's you know...looked at the slopeside $420/night...a benji jumps on top of that everyday

tline in '85...terry's front porch in davis $30/night...2 day pass $50...$3 sixers...glad i scored the volcom house in town back in 2010

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?