PA. State Parks announce new operator for Denton Hill.
13 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

media.pa.gov With the hope of building a 4 season destination to anchor the Pennsylvania Wilds across the state's northern tier. PA will invest $10 million in the ski resort's infrastructure.

From the press release: 

State Parks Director John Hallas today announced the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) will work with locally-based Denton Go, LLC, to grow recreational opportunities in all four seasons at Denton Hill State Park in Potter County.

The 700-acre Denton Hill State Park is located along Route 6 in Ulysses Township in the Route 6 Heritage CorridorOpens In A New Window and in the Pennsylvania WildsOpens In A New Window. It was developed by DCNR as a specialized ski area in the early 1950s. The ski area has been closed since the winter of 2014.

All permanent infrastructure is owned by DCNR and is in need of major rehabilitation and modernization. The department is committing $10 million in capital improvements to the park.


snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
How about DCNR spread the wealth a little and provide $1 million to LM to expand snow making? Get Vail to match. 
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Here is a link to a Facebook post with information on the new operators and their plans:

facebook.com

1694915139_tojvutuesinw.jpg

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts


 

snowsmith wrote:

How about DCNR spread the wealth a little and provide $1 million to LM to expand snow making? Get Vail to match. 

PA put up $6 million for Laurel and $10 million for Denton. I'd like to see Vail match a PA $4 million investment in Laurel, but I'd be happy if they mowed the entire mountain and backfilled the handle tow. 

GGNagy
8 months ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts


 As I mentioned over at nelsap, comparing the maps indicate the top will be about 35 ft lower as ridge trail goes away. Skiers left runout  also gets shortened to get the LM "Deer Path" treatment. 

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Here is a link to a Facebook post with information on the new operators and their plans:

facebook.com

1694915139_tojvutuesinw.jpg

GGNagy
8 months ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts


 or.. if they are spending money on ski areas located on State land, 6-10 mil would go a LONG way to putting a new quad at Blue Knob, replacing the 2 doubles and improving the snowmaking. . 

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:


 

snowsmith wrote:

How about DCNR spread the wealth a little and provide $1 million to LM to expand snow making? Get Vail to match. 

PA put up $6 million for Laurel and $10 million for Denton. I'd like to see Vail match a PA $4 million investment in Laurel, but I'd be happy if they mowed the entire mountain and backfilled the handle tow. 

imp - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
not sure but I have been told you cannot run 1 lift over another one in Pa.  new installations, old existing ones are allowed
GGNagy
8 months ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts


 Does that include surface lifts? The shorter one in that plan is meant to be a proposed surface lift of some sort.  

There is also some indication that plan was originally written in  2018. I do not know if there have been updates since then. If that is a newer rule in PA, it might be the fisrt thing to go/be revised. 

The master plan can be found on https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/DentonHillStatePark/Pages/MasterPlan.aspx

 

imp wrote:

not sure but I have been told you cannot run 1 lift over another one in Pa.  new installations, old existing ones are allowed
Patf1engineer
8 months ago (edited 8 months ago)
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts


 They are also showing an addition on their maintenance building for patrol. What a novel concept......

Although their patrol is not adjacent to the lodge and does not appear to be very accessible to much of the bottom of the mountain or the tubing park.

imp wrote:

not sure but I have been told you cannot run 1 lift over another one in Pa.  new installations, old existing ones are allowed
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

Agree with the previous comment that I wish the state would spend money on Blue Knob.  650 feet of vertical is not going to attract a lot of skiers.  

JohnL
8 months ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

itdoesntmatter wrote:

Agree with the previous comment that I wish the state would spend money on Blue Knob.  650 feet of vertical is not going to attract a lot of skiers.  

 Not only that, it is in the middle of frickin no where. That is the biggest disadvantage.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
8 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts


 

JohnL wrote:

itdoesntmatter wrote:

Agree with the previous comment that I wish the state would spend money on Blue Knob.  650 feet of vertical is not going to attract a lot of skiers.  

 Not only that, it is in the middle of frickin no where. That is the biggest disadvantage.

That's probably why the state didn't get any offers for the lease the first time the bid went up. 

ZARDOG
7 months ago
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

I read the PA Park's long list of tries to have corps bid and no one bid over many years.

I like to see resorts come back but the reality is many are not viable break-even deals even at a 5 year mark.

The 10 million would have been nice for blue knob. 

Interesting read the full history of the master plan.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/DentonHillStatePark/Pages/MasterPlan.aspx 

Zardog 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.15 seconds