Timberline for MLK and President's Day?
14 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Mongo
5 months ago
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts
From past experience, I know Snowshoe is not a lot of fun on the holiday weekends in January and February. Is Timberline any better in terms of long lift lines on those weekends? I know lodging availability might be an issue, of course.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

I'd be interested to know too.  Considering doing a day trip from Massanutten over Pres. Day weekend.  Would be my friend's young teen daughter's first chance to ski somewhere different.  She's more than ready since she's been skiing from the top of Mnut for a couple seasons.  She has a 4-day long weekend so I'm thinking Sunday, Feb. 18, might be less crowded at Tline than Mnut.

On Pres. Day the Mnut slopes will be relatively empty because folks who stay on resort don't usually ski Monday.  They have to check out by 10am, may go snow tubing, and then make the drive home.  Day tickets aren't at holiday rates on MLK or Pres. Day at Mnut.

snapdragon
5 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
i can guarantee you that the line at the line will be a zoo
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago (edited 5 months ago)
3,250 posts

snapdragon wrote:

i can guarantee you that the line at the line will be a zoo

The same zoo on Sat, Sun, and Mon of the holiday weekends?  Starting when?  9:00am or 11:00am?

I'm asking because at Mnut, it's possible to avoid standing in a lift line from 9-11am any day over a holiday weekend.  We usually get to the lodge by 8:30, ski until 11:30 or so, take a long lunch, and go back out around 2:30 or 3:00 when the people who bought 4-hr tickets were heading out.  Since Mnut is 100% lit, when the kids were older tweens, we'd keep skiing until 7:00 or so.  Buying a multi-day ticket means that night sessions on all the days are included.  That's true again now that the kinks are out of the RFID system.

Another option at Mnut for those who can ski the blues/blacks at the top is to simply stay up there if the weather isn't too cold.  Can have lunch at the Mid-Mountain Grill, which is all outdoor seating.  With a new high-speed quad to the top, that should be even more fun this season.

My kid is a young adult with a full-time job so she isn't getting to ski much.  These days I'm skiing in VA/WV with the kids of friends who are still in K-8.

snapdragon
5 months ago
346 posts
Early Season (Opening Day-December 24th):
   Every Day:     9AM-4:30PM
Holiday Week:
   December 25th:              Closed 
   December 26th-30th:   9AM – 8PM*
   December 31st:                9AM – 11PM*
Regular Season (Starts December 28th):
   Sunday-Wednesday:      9AM – 4:30PM
   Thursday-Saturday:         9AM – 8PM*
Holiday Hours:
   January 14th:      9AM – 8PM*
   February 18th:    9AM – 8PM*

look at the holiday hours...* means not to the top after 4:30 but you will still get in a lot of runs...like most areas the first hour, lunch, the last couple hours are least crowded...only a high speed six pack to the top...i do 20 runs in 2 sessions with a safety break...takes 4 hours...usually start by 11 and take last chair...send it!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
3,250 posts

snapdragon wrote:

Regular Season (Starts December 28th):
   Sunday-Wednesday:      9AM – 4:30PM
   Thursday-Saturday:         9AM – 8PM*
Holiday Hours:
   January 14th:      9AM – 8PM*
   February 18th:    9AM – 8PM*

look at the holiday hours...* means not to the top after 4:30 but you will still get in a lot of runs...like most areas the first hour, lunch, the last couple hours are least crowded...only a high speed six pack to the top...i do 20 runs in 2 sessions with a safety break...takes 4 hours...usually start by 11 and take last chair...send it!

Ah, so only the Sundays during the holiday weekends are considered "holiday" busy days.  Thanks for the details.

Maybe I'll take the teen to Tline on Feb. 19.  Pretty sure she has that Tuesday off too.  I'm a morning person.  Getting on the slopes as close to first chair as practical is always the plan.  For a day trip to Tline from Mnut, staying late in the afternoon isn't going to work.  I had a good time taking another teen to Tline midweek a few years ago.  He learned to ski at Mnut and was skiing blacks at Alta by age 10, so we had a good time in the trees.

snapdragon
5 months ago
346 posts
yew dew yew bro...just sum 411 from a vocal local yocal 
snapdragon
5 months ago
346 posts
wet graupel frizzle white...and everything in between hitting potomac highlands
camp
4 months ago
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

snapdragon wrote:

wet graupel frizzle white...and everything in between hitting potomac highlands

might see you tomorrow, day trip w/ my son

snapdragon
4 months ago
346 posts
bolo issued...stoked...yew!
camp
4 months ago
660 posts

snapdragon wrote:

bolo issued...stoked...yew!

Yeewwww, that was such a blast. Great finding you, Great mountain.

Now, I'm off to my local for a less than blast experience.

Till next time.....

snapdragon
4 months ago
346 posts
dropping the line with a legend...ya boy...yew!
chaga
4 months ago
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

"He does not talk you or goad you into getting excited to ski - his enthusiasm just spills out all over you"

1703429513_ckwbvgmozjbt.jpg

Merry christmas to all you legends! 

snapdragon wrote:

camp
4 months ago
660 posts

chaga wrote:

Merry christmas to all you legends! 

snapdragon wrote:

You too Chaga-mon. We headed over there for lunch beers after T-line, was hoping see you there. 

Cheers!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.