Chair Lifts
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
SeniorSki
5 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Probably a silly question, I have noticed that Canaan’s chair lift is running all the time? I would think that is a waste of electricity? Just curious on the reason why? 
Crush
5 months ago
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

They have created the first perpetual energy machine. In addition to the usual electric lift motor they fitted a generator on the upper lift station. They have a full-time 24/7 lift-y that puts bags of sand on the downloading chairs to spin it up, and another at the bottom to take the sand bags off and transport them to the top. This provides and excess of 1 Kwh per week when factoring in operation power and fuel costs to move the sandbags uphill - it goes to the lighting in the bathrooms.

SeniorSki wrote:

Probably a silly question, I have noticed that Canaan’s chair lift is running all the time? I would think that is a waste of electricity? Just curious on the reason why? 
vailsux
5 months ago
Member since 11/29/2023 🔗
6 posts

Just a guess but it might be to keep ice from building up on the cables. 

SeniorSki wrote:

Scott - DCSki Editor
5 months ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

vailsux wrote:

Just a guess but it might be to keep ice from building up on the cables. 

SeniorSki wrote:

That's right.  When resorts are making snow, they'll often run chairlifts to keep the snow off the chairs and to limit ice buildup.  Usually they'll run the lifts at a slower speed to reduce energy usage.  I also saw a snowmaker on Whitetail's web cam this evening turn on the Expert's Choice chairlift so he could ride up to the top of the mountain.

SeniorSki
5 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts

Occasionally I check the cams at the resorts and Canaan is the only one having the chair run all the time. I don’t think it is an ice issue, others would do the same thing. Maybe because it is an old lift, need to keep the grease “loose.”Not a huge deal, just wondering? 

Thefirewarde
5 months ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

Canaan leaves some lifts running during snowmaking both for access and to keep snow from building up on one chair. Most sane resorts have enough vehicles to move folks around. Canaan at least as of a few years ago preferred sending snowmakers out on ATVs instead of snowmobiles, which makes getting to certain areas tricky - often, some guys will ride up and walk down.

Anybody know if Rob Roy is still running the night shift there?

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?