Snowboard and Ski recommendations
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Grumpy dad
4 months ago (edited 4 months ago)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Hey all I have a bucket of unused money I get from my company that I've accumulated toward health/wellness.  
About 8 years ago ? I started to snowboard and was already a bit over the hill. I thought I was doing fairly well for my age.  I even did a few trips out west, and was bombing through those tight trees.   Then covid hit, I gained some weight and decided I wanted to try out a new board. I ended up with a libtech hybrid rocker cold brew.   Im actually a bit terrified to ride it now to be honest. If it were packed powder and powder Id have no problem but for whatever reason it's EXTREMELY grabby to me on the backside tail.  I've gone down super hard a few times quite unexpectedly.  Ive gummed the edge quite a bit and it's still too grabby. To avoid I have to be on the board really holding an edge and even then it seems so squirrely.  Ive read that this is a great board for icy conditions, but after digging more and even talking to someone that owns one, it appears what they meant as ice was west coast ice (HA) and definitely not east coast.   Id hate to switch back to my super old jones rossi board (08-09), but am starting to think I need to in order to gain my confidence back. I would be interested in trying something new if there were any suggestions?

Im also probably going to buy a new pair of skis as well. Mine are like maybe 12 year old rossi skis if anyone has any suggestions? I tend to ski more lately with family vs using my board, and when there is nothing but boiler place ice out there.

Snowboard skill - intermediate. I like going quick, just cruising, jumps, some boxes / rails. 
Ski skill - been skiing for a really long time, I like to just cruise but also hard charge and do faster (not super fast) carves.  Id be one of the quicker ones down the mountain but Im certainly not trying to win a GS race.  I like to do jumps, but never any rails/boxes.
I will never take my equipment (other than my boots) out west. 

I honestly find boarding much more fun especially for short east coast runs.  30mph on a board is go pretty quick whereas 30 on skis is just a gentle cruise.  

Leo
4 months ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

This is kind of cliche, but the best advice is to go to a reputable shop.  Snowboard advancements are not as immediately evident as some of the relatively normal changes that have happened with skis.  I don't know about Libtech for sure, but things like Magne Traction exist on some boards and could cause you to feel a bite and hold sensation, even if the edge is detuned/tuned correctly.

Most of the advancements have made boards more forgiving and easier to initiate turns, etc.  So talking to someone who knows their products in a good shop, I don't think there is any doubt you'd be better off with a new board rather than going back to your old one.

And not to sound like a broken record, but I would say the same thing about skis.  

I've been jonesing to get my hands on some Peak 88s and am positive I would love them, but you might hate them.  

Bird Dog
3 months ago
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

OK, I've been holding back, and I know zero about boarding,

but my ski of choice for you would be the:

(drum roll please)

the 4FRNT MSP 99. Great graphics, edging, and float.

Metal and meaty with a tight radius, and it'll still rock out west when you need it to.

teleman
3 months ago
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Elan Ripstick 96, get the black version if you like a more stiff ski.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?