Gather at Massanutten 5 Jan 2024
14 posts
5 users
1k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
4 months ago (edited 4 months ago)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,966 posts

Bousquet19 and I are planning to ski at Massanutten on Friday, Jan 5, 2024, barring a complete melt down.  Let us know in this thread if anybody else wants to ski with us!

As of right now Massanutten still has two upper mountain advanced trails open, including Diamond Jim from the summit of the new Peak Express chair.  Hopefully, snowmaking temps return tonight and continue for a number of nights through next week.  A decent recovery from recent warm/wet weather should take place between now and the 5th.

As we get closer to the 5th we'll pick a time and meeting place at the resort for that day and post it here.

wgo
4 months ago
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
Jim would love to but I will be at Killington that day. Hope a bunch of you are able to get together and make some turns!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts
Thanks for posting this get-together JimK! Looks like several modest overnight snowmaking windows will open up between now and next Friday, January 5. 

A couple of my regular skiing friends from the Winchester area and I expect to get there on the 5th as the offices and lifts open so we can get some early runs. Happy to meet up wherever and whenever anyone from DCSki arrives. Will bring a few goodies to share to celebrate my first day of eligibility for Massanutten’s $19 geezer pass. 🎉  Looking forward to riding the new peak chair and skiing the new runs!

Definitely thinking snow,
Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

Sorry I can't make it.  Won't be driving up for my annual week until Jan. 7.

Hopefully you'll be surprised at how much snowmaking happens between now and Jan. 5.  Starting Monday night looks like the best multi-day window to blow as much as possible.

Mnut is having a winter festival Jan. 4-8.  It's the first time for that event.  I'm sure they would love to have a blue run open from the top by the weekend.  The first non-holiday weekend of the January used to be when the ski shop in Charlottesville would set up a demo tent.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
3,250 posts

Note that the local seniors are waiting at the base of the Creekside lift around 8:45.  They often get to ride up 5-10 min early.  That means they get to load the Peak lift around 9:00.  When conditions are good on the upper mountain, they ski for a couple hours.  Otherwise they are gone after a few quick runs on the freshly groomed trails.

Have fun!

4 months ago
779 posts

marzNC wrote:

Note that the local seniors are waiting at the base of the Creekside lift around 8:45.  They often get to ride up 5-10 min early.  That means they get to load the Peak lift around 9:00.  When conditions are good on the upper mountain, they ski for a couple hours.  Otherwise they are gone after a few quick runs on the freshly groomed trails.

Have fun!

Sorry you can’t join us on the 5th, marzNC. Since I’ll have my pass, I’m hoping to get out to Massanutten more often than my usual 2x per year. Hope to catch up with you for some runs and some insider scoop on skiing the Nut.

And thanks for the info about seniors gathering at the Creekside lift. Will plan to get there a bit earlier when I go after the 5th.

Enjoy your skiing!

Woody

4 months ago
779 posts
< bump >
JimK - DCSki Columnist
4 months ago (edited 4 months ago)
2,966 posts

I expect there will be a little gang of 5 or 6 of us meeting Friday morning 5Jan2024 to ski at Massanutten, VA.  I will try to get to bottom of the main lift out of the base lodge area by 9 AM +/- a few minutes.  That is, lift 4 (Creekside), it starts running for the public at 9 AM.  If we miss you there, I'll probably be skiing off lifts 5 and 6 on the upper mountain until the early afternoon.  I'll be dressed like this and will tie a red ribbon to my ski pole handle.  Should be a good day!

1704334342_qrypkcuqkrak.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
3,250 posts
Looking forward to pics.  I expect the snowguns will be firing for a bit on Friday morning.
Dafixison
3 months ago
Member since 01/30/2020 🔗
36 posts
Hope Everyone had a blast at the meet. How was the conditions? Planning to take the kids there on Sunday to take advantage of the new snow from the storm (if any)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
3 months ago
2,966 posts

Good day at Massanutten on 5 Jan 2024.  They ran snowguns all over the mtn until almost 2PM.  Wintry day.

Mueller's Mile is almost ready to ski, wouldn't be surprised if it's open this weekend.  Hard to see, but there are dozens of snowguns running on it in this photo.

1704504980_riclkcknthvy.jpg

L-R bousquet19, friend Dave, JimK

1704505104_wervqserrgfk.jpg

bousquet19 cruisin' on his milestone birthday

1704505035_mpnxawhgwajb.jpg

bousquet19 at the peak

1704505154_hexilcqfezqy.jpg

3 months ago
779 posts

Massanutten created quite a flurry yesterday. Great to ski with JimK and friends even though the freshly made snow was piled in places and grabby in others. Grateful for the hard work by mountain ops there to make skiing possible there this season. 👍 

And I see that Mueller’s Mile has indeed opened today (Saturday January 6), as have a couple more greens on the lower mountain.

Woody1704562765_tnulzzhvojgr.jpg

3 months ago (edited 3 months ago)
779 posts

1704562868_zvyczxffwgxz.jpg1704562902_tafwwregvisq.jpg1704562934_sqacyfichrcl.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
3,250 posts

Sounds like a fun day was had on Jan. 5. :-)

Snowmaking was back on by 5:00 yesterday before it got too humid and a bit too warm as the clouds moved in.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.