Blue Mountain vs. Seven Springs
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I have an annual ski day with a friend of mine who lives near Hershey, Pa. Elk Mountain in NEPA was our destination three out of the last four seasons after we got tired of the lift lines at Camelback. We also night-skied at Montage last year. We're thinking about somewhere else this year.

We're also considering going on a Friday instead of Saturday to try and beat crowds. I'd love to go to Blue Knob again, but unless a couple of big storms go through there, I don't think there will be enough open.

How are Blue Mountain and Seven Springs on Fridays? I've been to the former for a half-day one March after a sticky snow storm, but it was hardly a representative sample.

Neither of us has been to Seven Springs. We tend to brown bag our lunch, so apres ski isn't a consideration. Proximity and vertical would seem to favor Blue Mountain, but I know Seven Springs has more elevation.

Lastly, we're intermediate skiers in our mid-40s - we get out ones of times a season and rent skis, usually off site.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I only ski 7S on weekdays when the masses aren't there. So I would say Fridays at 7S should be good. I also only go if the entire North Face is open which is the best terrain, specifically, the Yodeller and Gunnar trails. I've only skied at Blue Mountain on a weekend. I remember that skiers right terrain was pretty good and made use of the full vertical which is pretty long for PA. I do remember skiing on the most crowed ski trails I've ever skied on. Don't remember which trail but it was littered with bodies that you had to ski around. I would think that on a Friday, at least early in the day, it would not be that crowded. 7S has the advantage of elevation, thus, it could have better conditions. And Laurel Mtn and Hidden Valley are nearby if you have an Epic pass. There are some ski rental places on Route 31 on the way to 7S. If I may, can I suggest check our used skis on Ebay. I have purchased some great skis on Ebay. Saves the hassle of going to the rental shop. If you don't have an Epic pass, and a friend does, 7S (or any Epic resort) has 'Buddy Passes' - 40% off or 'Ski with a Friend' passes with I believe are 20% off. Your Epic Pass friend would need to get those passes for you. 
Grumpy dad
3 months ago
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Where do you plan to keep said brown bag?  If you arrive rather early you could get a decent parking spot with only about a 1/4 mile walk.  The north lot is not an option to you if you dont have a pass in hand already. If you dont get a spot in the main lot early then you will need to shuttle from a lot further away.  
There used to be a cafe open at lake tahoe lodge at the top of the mountain that was rather chill, but there hours are about as reliable as a random number generator. 
The main lodge is ok for school lunch menu items for $15 a lunch. 
The main bar there, the goggle, isnt a bad place for an IPA and a tolerable food item for $20+

Point being, you arent brown bagging it unless you put it in a backpack and carry it with you all day.  

7Springs is spread out, busy, with no parking near the slopes what so ever UNLESS like I said you have a pass and certain lifts are running.  The north lot is great for jumping on the north side of the mountain, no frills.  No bathrooms etc, no places to eat there other than your car.  The front main lot is nice if you get toward the back half that fills up last, and they are running the little lift there but so far this year they havent spun that lift once.  *to all the nutting haters out there, nutting's ops team would have that lift running Thurs-Sun*

wfyurasko wrote:

I have an annual ski day with a friend of mine who lives near Hershey, Pa. Elk Mountain in NEPA was our destination three out of the last four seasons after we got tired of the lift lines at Camelback. We also night-skied at Montage last year. We're thinking about somewhere else this year.

We're also considering going on a Friday instead of Saturday to try and beat crowds. I'd love to go to Blue Knob again, but unless a couple of big storms go through there, I don't think there will be enough open.

How are Blue Mountain and Seven Springs on Fridays? I've been to the former for a half-day one March after a sticky snow storm, but it was hardly a representative sample.

Neither of us has been to Seven Springs. We tend to brown bag our lunch, so apres ski isn't a consideration. Proximity and vertical would seem to favor Blue Mountain, but I know Seven Springs has more elevation.

Lastly, we're intermediate skiers in our mid-40s - we get out ones of times a season and rent skis, usually off site.
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
Those are some good points, Grumpy. Brown-bagging it is really easy at Elk and maybe we have forgotten it's not that easy everywhere.
superguy
3 months ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Back in the 90s, I used to go to 7S every Friday afternoon.  We usually had "short" Fridays - get out of school and then head on down.  We'd often be on the slopes by 1-130p and there was never an issue finding parking.  Back then they weren't strict about who parked in the hotel lot so we'd usually park up against the railing at Stowe.  Now they care lol.

Brown bagging used to be easy at 7S when the lockers were only $1 in the lodge.  They got rid of them and now want you to pay $10 or more. Not hard to keep a drink and at least a sandwich and a snack in your coat.

North lot is great if you have your pass.  You may even find some tailgaters there. There are a couple nasty portapotties there, and that side closes an hour earlie than the front.  So you either have to move your car or cut your night short. If you're willing to pay, or have a handi placard, you can also park by the Blitzen lift which is a short walk to both the lift and the lodge.  Opposite directions though.

HV and Laurel are much better for parking and car access from the ski areas. Not busy at all on Friday evenings.

davwilley
3 months ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
15 posts

Going on a Friday may help you avoid some of the crowds in Blue mountain, but you should still expect some lines at the lifts and parking lots.

wfyurasko wrote:

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago (edited 3 months ago)
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts
I don’t find brown bagging in the main lodge at Seven Springs difficult on a weekday. 

Was there this Monday January 22 and did as always. I stashed my pack on or near one of the windowsills. Little to no disturbance to others, and very convenient. 

I agree with Grumpy’s characterization of the food there, though. 🫤 

Woody
davwilley
2 months ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
15 posts
The food there is not very appealing, but at least you can enjoy the skiing and the scenery. 
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.