Brutal Weather in Summit County, CO. Today
13 posts
5 users
1k+ views
bob
3 months ago (edited 3 months ago)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts
Very high winds and near 0F temps. All Keystone lifts are on hold, only lifts to mid mountain open at Breck and A-Basin. Keystone cancelled night skiing last night due to forecast wind chill.
snapdragon
3 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
cold starts at zero
bob
3 months ago
755 posts

snapdragon wrote:

cold starts at zero

I would normally agree with you, having had face snowbite more times than I have fingers, but the wind chill is in excess of -35F

snapdragon
346 posts
that's cold bob...i'm talking no wind though...arctic circle sunbathing
bob
3 months ago
755 posts

Coldest day I spent on skis was -20F - there were not many of us out there that day.

Coldest I've ever been   was -46F one morning in Gunnison before heading to Crested Butte (where it was a lot warmer).

wojo
3 months ago
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

bob wrote:

Coldest day I spent on skis was -20F - there were not many of us out there that day.

Coldest I've ever been   was -46F one morning in Gunnison before heading to Crested Butte (where it was a lot warmer).

-46 Yikes!  I had 5 days in Vt/NH, warmest day was 10, coldest -20.  Only person out for about an hour on one lift I was lapping at Black, lifty said I he had to stay out even if no one was skiing, otherwise I would have gone in :-).

JimK - DCSki Columnist
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,965 posts

I'm in Salida, CO trying to get a few ski days in at Monarch.  Skied there yesterday in cold, windy, low viz conditions.  Snow nice, skied like 6" cut up powder. 

1705205205_aqzshyyxrrnj.jpg

But today Monarch and sections of US 50 to the resort were closed for avalanche mitigation work due to wind blown snow.  Big snow storm coming tonight here and throughout CO.  Could make for great skiing, but I'm concerned it might cause further road closures due to accompanying winds?

snapdragon
3 months ago
346 posts
wind chill for the line is -12 today...just sayin
snapdragon
3 months ago
346 posts
to remind myself not to leave sodas on the front porch to chill after getting off the hill, grocery getting, and settling into the warm cozy volcom house couch...yew!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Gunnison is so cold.  Downvalley, the cold settles.  Crested Butte town is warmer, and mountain base a little more.  But once the sun goes behind the ridges, it's all cold.  I think Gunny got down to -10 while we were there and it seemed so ordinary.

bob wrote:

JimK - DCSki Columnist
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,965 posts

One foot+ powder day at Monarch, CO 14 Jan 2023, temps in 20s, wind and visibility not too bad.

1705329183_pdudfhfrxjwh.jpg

Heading to Copper and A-Basin next, then Utah.  I guess I should open a separate thread for my 2024 western ski travels.  Pretty big storm cycle going on right now throughout much of the Rockies.

snapdragon
3 months ago
346 posts
way to send it...yew!
bob
3 months ago
755 posts

Good news. If you are Summi county, the ski areas are open!

Bad new -- if you are tryingto leave Summit County -- well you can't -- Vail Pass, Hoosier Pass, & Loveland Pass are all closed -- and eastbound I 70 starting at Frisco is closed.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?