What ever happened to...the Homestead's lost trails?
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Ridin the Diamonds
3 months ago
Member since 01/25/2024 🔗
1 posts

The Homestead is always a bit of a mystery to me. I always have a good time on the rare occasions that I go there. It was the first ski resort in "the South." Yet it is a shadow of what it once was. Almost half of the area it used to cover is now "decommissioned."

Did anyone have the opportunities to ski or ride the Goat Farm, Goat Trail, or Down Draft? I would absolutely love to hear opinions.

I got to ride "The Chute" a few times in the early 2010s, before it seems to have become abandoned. It kind of reminded me of the "U-Turn" jug-handles you see all over New Jersey roads. But still a fun tree-lined little trail.

I have heard only one reason for why so much of the ski area is now dormant, which was the creation of the snow tubing area. 

Well that snow tubing area has now moved. With the resort focusing on renovations lately, it would sure be nice to have some of those original Sepp Kober designed trails back. They may not be quite as historic as the Jefferson Baths but still notable in their own right. Give a nod to the man that designed them, and was so loved at the Homestead, and bring them back! After all, they still seem to (somewhat) maintain those trails for some of the other activities the resort offers.

Even if they aren't always open, it would be great to open them when there is enough good weather. Then the "floundering" feeling of the ski side of things may recover with more ridable terrain, and it would attract more guests for the winter. There is just not enough terrain diversity there to keep everyone engaged. Right now speaking from season 2023-24, the ski area there is only open Thursday-Sunday. This is way down from daily ops over the years. When I go it doesn't really feel like its ever busy. 

I know they haven't completely given up on the ski area. In 2016(?) they added a short jughandle-like trail called Yonder-Weigh. It is very beginner feeling, which is fine. I just wish I would see more from them! So many hate their slow lift, but I'm fine with it, especially if it took me to the top of the resort the way it once was!

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I think the problem is the skiing is not marketed. What is the elevation of the ski area. Is it high enough to maintain coverage? We’re getting pretty far south for skiing.
davwilley
2 months ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
15 posts
I have not skied or ridden the Goat Farm, Goat Trail, or Down Draft, but I have seen some videos and photos of them online. They look like challenging and fun trails with some steep drops and tight turns. I would love to try them someday. 
SkiHawthorne
2 months ago (edited 2 months ago)
Member since 07/27/2020 🔗
10 posts
I remember an article many years ago (1990s) in the Roanoke Times. They interviewed resort representatives from the Homestead about the ski area.  The topic had to do with potential plans to add a quad chair and extend skiing to the summit. This would have given the Homestead a vertical drop of 1,600 feet and attracted more skiers. 

Times up there are different, with skiing as an afterthought. 
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.