8 posts
6 users
cbyrne0609
2 months ago
Member since 01/8/2019 🔗
17 posts

Hi All-

I’m headed to Snowshoe with 6 families

next weekend. Haven’t been in a couple years. Is the cell phone service still horrible there? Any suggestions on how to communicate with group? Thinking we could buy walkie talkies? Anything tried something that has worked well? We have 30+ people in our group.

thank you!

Scott - DCSki Editor
2 months ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

One of the reasons cell service has been poor at Snowshoe Mountain Resort is that they're neighbors with the Green Bank Observatory just down the hill, a series of radio telescopes that can experience interference from any nearby radio signals.  To mitigate interference problems, towers at Snowshoe were designed to be very directional/localized.

I'm not sure whether walkie-talkies on the mountain could interfere with experiments at the observatory, but imagine that could be a problem so thought I would mention it.  That whole area is a National Radio Quiet Zone.

Here's an interesting article about this, although it's a decade old:

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2013/10/08/218976699/enter-the-quiet-zone-where-cell-service-wi-fi-are-banned

davwilley
2 months ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
15 posts

Cell phone service is still very poor at Snowshoe, especially for Verizon customers. Buying walkie talkies is another option. Btw, you can try offline apps like bridgefy.me or firechat. 

Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

If you're wanting comms while skiing or riding chairlifts, cell coverage is still very spotty at best.  AT&T seems to work better than Verizon. When you're near the village you can also access the free wifi.  You can use walkie-talkies without concern about the neighbors at Greenbank.

Embrace being disconnected. The mountain isn't that large. With 30 people you won't have a hard time finding each other.

Shotmaker
2 months ago
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

I agree with what Bonzski says. Should some of you decide to carry walkie-talkies the best signals will be from top to bottom of lifts and to a few runs off them.

Don't expect to communicate from the top of Soaring Eagle to many locations to the north (Ballhooter lift area). However you might be able to touch base when at the bottom of Soaring Eagle to the bottom of Ballhooter. 

The walkie-talkies have a limited range and expect others to goof around with you talking over your communication. 🤣.  Have fun while you're at Snowshoe!

SeniorSki
2 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
I used Walkie Talkies there a long time ago. The biggest problem was the ski patrol was on the same channel and heard there chatter all day. If you use talkies you will need to buy or rent? Expensive model, one that has the ability to have multiple channels. 
Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

I used Walkie Talkies there a long time ago. The biggest problem was the ski patrol was on the same channel and heard there chatter all day. If you use talkies you will need to buy or rent? Expensive model, one that has the ability to have multiple channels. 

Patrol now uses radios on a private digital trunked/repeater system outside the walkie-talkie frequency band. You won't have problems with interference.

SeniorSki
2 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts

Bonzski wrote:

SeniorSki wrote:

Patrol now uses radios on a private digital trunked/repeater system outside the walkie-talkie frequency band. You won't have problems with interference.

Well there ya go, problem solved. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.