Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
154 posts

Any resort improvements this summer?

Hoping for something at 7S, LM, and TL. 

kwillg6
25 days ago
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Canaan Valley Resort.  The state had put out bids for the snowmaking upgrades and they came back in and of course were over the amount budgeted for the improvements by several million. The upgraded pumps were ordered last year since there is a lag time of almost a year to get them and they are on hand.  Just waiting to find out what the state will do now.  The specs would have airless snow guns from bottom to top for the entire width of the main runs, double pumping capacity, tubing park upgrades, etc....   
HVdad
yesterday
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
95 posts
Vail Resorts, Inc. has removed all of the Seven Springs and Hidden Valley signage from the roads leading into both resorts. Soon to be replaced by billboards featuring Brett Cook.
trickshotscott
yesterday
Member since 11/10/2023 🔗
1 posts

Has anybody heard any dirt about what Vail may or may not be doing at HV, SS, or LM this summer? So far....crickets. 

I think its fair to say that the lack of capital investment by Vail has been very noticeable when compared to peer resorts like Holiday Valley and Snowshoe.

What gives???

padjaski68
21 hours ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
101 posts
Well Snowshoe is replacing the pipes on J-Hook at Shoe and Mountaineer at the Creek. Plus the normal pipe inspections from the Winter leaks with either patchwork or section replacement. 
padjaski68
21 hours ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
101 posts

That is the main reasons I went to a Tline and CV pass combo instead of Epic this year lack of communication about changes or improvements at their resorts.  At least CV and Tline continue to invest back in their areas. 

trickshotscott wrote:

Has anybody heard any dirt about what Vail may or may not be doing at HV, SS, or LM this summer? So far....crickets. 

I think its fair to say that the lack of capital investment by Vail has been very noticeable when compared to peer resorts like Holiday Valley and Snowshoe.

What gives???

Leo
4 hours ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
357 posts

I'll keep taking flak on here for being too mean/negative.  It's not surprising at all.  In fact, it's their MO.  Cut it to the bone + sell more season passes. 

There has been a bit of a reckoning in other similar industries as the realities of continued inflation and a stalling economy have impacts on people's discretionary budgets.  We shall see what this upcoming season holds for the ski industry.

trickshotscott wrote:

What gives???

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
an hour ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,577 posts

Leo - from what I have seen at other Vail resorts like Breckenridge, Okemo, Keystone, Mt. Snow and  Stowe, there was quite a bit of investment. However, we certainly haven't seen much here. I think everyone needs to bring this up to Vail.  Look at the condition of the HV ski lodge.  As far as snow making, I understand they had a lot of mechanical issues last year at HV. The main pump that they replaced failed soon after. There were also some major pipe leaks and fan gun failures. The important thing I would say is have they or are they fixing these problems? I think we should ask Brett directly. Also, if Massanutten, a mountain in southern VA can remain 100% open for 50 days, why can't the mountains in the Laurels? M'nut invested alot of money in snow making. If Vail wants to compete locally, they need to do similar. I don't think their operations are bad, but they can be better.  I would imagine they probably lost money last year on the overall PA operations. Liberty, Whitetail and Roundtop has serious challenges keeping snow on those mountains with the impact of climate change.  However, weather patterns are also a major contributor. Resorts in the Mid-west were barely able to open for much of the winter. I figure if California's weather patterns can change to eliminate drought conditions, PA weather patterns can change back to being snowy. I send emails to Vail management with my concerns. And they respond. If they do make improvements, they should market those improvements. 

Leo wrote:

I'll keep taking flak on here for being too mean/negative.  It's not surprising at all.  In fact, it's their MO.  Cut it to the bone + sell more season passes. 

There has been a bit of a reckoning in other similar industries as the realities of continued inflation and a stalling economy have impacts on people's discretionary budgets.  We shall see what this upcoming season holds for the ski industry.

trickshotscott wrote:

What gives???

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?