yet another possible PA Lost Ski Area?
4 posts
2 users
2k+ views
GGNagy
one month ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
506 posts

Today, we went for a drive to Pen Mar park On the PA/MD state line near Blue Ridge Summit, PA. 

We left VIA PA 16, and as we reached the base of South Mt in Waynesboro (Rouzersville) we passed Red Run park on the north side of 16. Cutting through the park was a road named "skiway". We drove up the road, and while it was steep, we saw no signs of cuttings or works that would indicate a former ski area. There are a few houses along the road that had that "old ski resort" feel, but that was it. The property above the road on the mountain is called "Pine Hill Recreational Area". There is nothing I can find online about a ski area here, and pennpilot/google earth time machine don't indicate any cuttings. 

This is maybe 8 miles west of Ski Liberty, so not really close enough to be tied to that resort. It's also definitely  NOT the old Richmond Furnace area as that was MUCH further west. I don't see any references to this location in the current lost areas lists. Anyone else spot this road shuttling between Liberty and Whitetail via PA 16? 

Lastrun
one month ago
Member since 06/20/2023 🔗
9 posts

en.m.wikipedia.org 

possible lead. 
GGNagy
one month ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
506 posts

Thanks. Nothing in searches is showing a connection between the Inn and any skiing activities, but it is helpful. It looks like the main lodge building was directly across Rt 16 from the road.

Lastrun wrote:

en.m.wikipedia.org 

possible lead. 
Lastrun
one month ago (edited one month ago)
Member since 06/20/2023 🔗
9 posts
Yeah, I looked around and could not find anything.  The park on that side of the road was a CCC project and the land was donated to the county very early on by the family that owned the lodge on the other side of the road.  In some respects this looks interesting with the lodge across the road for looking for activities, the park on that side of the road, and the time-frame (post WWII) but nothing is coming up and the other thing is I took a hard look at the historical topos and that development on that side of the road went in really early like the 50s.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?